Rate My Draft

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Finally just finished drafting in my keeper league. I had the most picks of any team, with 16. It's a 16 team league and each team has a roster of roughly 95 players including NHL, minors and juniors. I think I made out very well.

(2nd overall) ==> Gabriel Landeskog, LW
(14th overall) ==> Mark McNeill, C
(15th overall) ==> Matt Puempel, LW
(28th overall) ==> John Gibson, G
(41st overall) ==> Oscar Klefbom, D
(47th overall) ==> Adam Lowry, LW
(58th overall) ==> Duncan Siemens, D
(62nd overall) ==> Shane McColgan, RW
(63rd overall) ==> Reid Boucher, LW
(65th overall) ==> Jamie Oleksiak, D
(73rd overall) ==> William Karlsson, C
(81st overall) ==> Colin Jacobs, C
(83rd overall) ==> Tobias Rieder, C
(84th overall) ==> Alan Quine, C
(85th overall) ==> Alexei Marchenko, D
(103rd overall) ==> Keegan Lowe, D
(119th overall) ==> Garrett Meurs, C

Also, had previously signed: Magnus Hellberg, Nathan Lieuwen and Andrew Shaw during the season because of their age.

So realistically I walked away with the first two goalies drafted!

What do you think?

Last edited:

Defensive Forward

Aug 5, 2010
Ontario
Good job. It looks like you got some people in the lower rounds that could turn into productive NHL forwards (Rieder, Jacobs, McColgan) and Marchenko could be a good pickup.

This opinion is coming from someone who's never actually been in a keeper league though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
I can't say anyone who picked Landeskog second overall made out well, but it looks like some good names dropped inexplicably low for you.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I can't say anyone who picked Landeskog second overall made out well, but it looks like some good names dropped inexplicably low for you.

1. Struggling team who needs young NHL talent ASAP.
2. Massive Avs fan.
3. Love Huberdeau, but didn't want a Panther, especially one that might take a year or two.

BacklundtoBartschi*

Finally just finished drafting in my keeper league. I had the most picks of any team, with 16. It's a 16 team league and each team has a roster of roughly 95 players including NHL, minors and juniors. I think I made out very well.

(2nd overall) ==> Gabriel Landeskog, LW
(14th overall) ==> Mark McNeill, C
(15th overall) ==> Matt Puempel, LW
(28th overall) ==> John Gibson, G
(41st overall) ==> Oscar Klefbom, D
(47th overall) ==> Adam Lowry, LW
(58th overall) ==> Duncan Siemens, D
(62nd overall) ==> Shane McColgan, RW
(63rd overall) ==> Reid Boucher, LW
(65th overall) ==> Jamie Oleksiak, D
(73rd overall) ==> William Karlsson, C
(81st overall) ==> Colin Jacobs, C
(83rd overall) ==> Tobias Rieder, C
(84th overall) ==> Alan Quine, C
(85th overall) ==> Alexei Marchenko, D
(103rd overall) ==> Keegan Lowe, D
(119th overall) ==> Garrett Meurs, C

Also, had previously signed: Magnus Hellberg, Nathan Lieuwen and Andrew Shaw during the season because of their age.

So realistically I walked away with the first two goalies drafted!

What do you think?

How did you get those steals?!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
How did you get those steals?!

People just didn't seem to value them because they are "big" and more defence-first kind of guys.

I thought they were excellent grabs considering they have very high likely-hood of making the NHL compared to guys picked in the late 2nd round.

johnnydollaz89*

thats a nice draft good pick with McColgan, the NYR got a steal with him

R S

Sep 18, 2006
You seem pretty high on Puempel to draft him at 15. Could you explain a bit why you went a wee bit off board?

Been high on him since last year. I just think you can teach goal scoring. And when you are talking about a pure fantasy draft....pure goal scorers don't come around too easily. Have to take them when you have a chance.

Dutchy

Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Ca
Been high on him since last year. I just think you can teach goal scoring. And when you are talking about a pure fantasy draft....pure goal scorers don't come around too easily. Have to take them when you have a chance.
The reason I ask is that I picked him at the 18th spot on my own fantasy league. I've been getting some flak from others and I've been second guessing myself.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks the kid has A LOT of potential.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The reason I ask is that I picked him at the 18th spot on my own fantasy league. I've been getting some flak from others and I've been second guessing myself.

You won't be catching any heat when the kid is a 30 goal scorer in the NHL in 3-4 years.

Fast Tony DeNiro

May 1, 2011
Very nice I like it. Some good high end players, and then quite a few players late with upside. I might have gone for more of a homerun pick at 2 than Lando, but it's not a bad pick by any means. I'll post my draft it's actually fairly similar to yours.

3rd - Strome
12th - Puempel
16th - Grimaldi
46th - Klefbom
66th - Tvrdon
81st - Kichton
89th - Marchenko
91st - Kessy
92nd - McColgan

Lucky to have Boucher fall a bit in your draft. I had him pegged right around that number and someone took him at 45th in my league.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Wow, that's a really great draft! As others of mentioned, you really stole some gems in the mid to late rounds. For me, the highlights were Klefbom, Oleksiak, McColgan, Lowe, and Puempel. Klefbom and Oleksiak were just larceny at where you got them. I think both McColgan and Lowe are steals as well and will be regarded as so, years down the road. Finally, as a Sens fan, I really like Puempel's offensive upside, I just hope his hip holds up. He is arguably the purest scorer in the draft and was definitely worth the risk as 15. I'm jealous, I didn't have any 1st round picks in my draft. I did however have a couple of 2nds and a sh*tload of mid to late round picks, but there are a bunch of savvy GM's in my league and pickings were slim. Any insight would be appreciated...

(in no particular order)

Shane Prince
Matt Nieto
Keegan Lowe
Seth Ambroz
JG Pageau
Fredrik Claesson
Max Everson
Max Friberg
Max McCormick
Nikita Nesterov
Patrick Koudys
P-M Devos

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

No reason to second guess yourslef on that one, I also drafted him at 15 in my league. Offensively in the draft he is probably top 10.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
27th overall.

Cool.

I expected Jaskin to go around there in my draft, but he slipped to me at #33 and I was pretty excited.

My draft went like:

#5 - Ryan Strome
#10 - Mika Zibanejad
#11 - Sven Bartschi
#24 - Stefan Noesen
#28 - Tyler Biggs
#30 - Ty Rattie
#33 - Dimitrij Jaskin
#43 - Brett Ritchie

The only pick I wasn't really happy with was Ritchie. I was banking on Sproul and he went one spot ahead of me, so it came down to Ritchie and Rask.

IslesGM

Jan 4, 2011
Cool.

I expected Jaskin to go around there in my draft, but he slipped to me at #33 and I was pretty excited.

My draft went like:

#5 - Ryan Strome
#10 - Mika Zibanejad
#11 - Sven Bartschi
#24 - Stefan Noesen
#28 - Tyler Biggs
#30 - Ty Rattie
#33 - Dimitrij Jaskin
#43 - Brett Ritchie

The only pick I wasn't really happy with was Ritchie. I was banking on Sproul and he went one spot ahead of me, so it came down to Ritchie and Rask.

Hey, it's the Oilman! I saw the draft and thought: That looks awfully familiar... ;)

Here's mine from the same league:

1- RNH
17- Matthew Puempel
32- Rocco Grimaldi
42- Ryan Sproul
46- Matt Nieto
48- Adam Clendening

If anyone is interested, one spot is open: SJ Sharks, last year's champs. 24 solid GMs in a 25 team league. PM myself or the Oilman! Woot!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad