Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Our Rhd is locked in

Mccabe-Risto
Scandella-Montour
Dahlin-Miller
(extra scandella or send joki down when montour back ?)

unless the deal is an overpayment i don't want to trade risto, im definitely not one of these guys here who thinks just getting rid of him for a 3rd is addition by subtraction. Risto is big, mobile and seems to be playing better Defensively under a good system put in place by RK. I said this before as well, i want to see risto in the playoffs before moving him. I just have a gut feeling that he will be a playoff warrior, again no evidence of this just a gut feeling

Reactions: Wisent42

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
I still say trade him.

Ther perceived value for him around the league is way higher than his contribution. It would also be possible to upgrade an area of weakness in the team (LW/C) from an area of strength (RHD). Obviously, after the O'Reilly debacle Botterill needs to save face by really getting a lot for Risto, so he will pull the trigger only when a real desperation attempt of a trade offer comes his way.

Mccabe-Risto
Scandella-Montour
Dahlin-Miller

Should have Pilut. Best defender on the Sabres last year not named Rasmus Dahlin.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I still say trade him.

Ther perceived value for him around the league is way higher than his contribution. It would also be possible to upgrade an area of weakness in the team (LW/C) from an area of strength (RHD). Obviously, after the O'Reilly debacle Botterill needs to save face by really getting a lot for Risto, so he will pull the trigger only when a real desperation attempt of a trade offer comes his way.

Should have Pilut. Best defender on the Sabres last year not named Rasmus Dahlin.

Wait...how do you his percieved value from around the league?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Bogosian has to be traded before the TDL, Nelson too as long as he has any trade value. Even after that, an RHD has to be traded before next season. They have over 14 mil dedicated to Ristolainen, Miller, Jokiharju, and Montour (who is getting a raise as an RFA next summer, so more like 16 mil to the group)). That's too much cap space toward one portion of the roster. So after Bogosian and Nelson, one of Ristolainen (probably), Montour (maybe), or Miller (probably not), have to go.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Bogosian has to be traded before the TDL, Nelson too as long as he has any trade value. Even after that, an RHD has to be traded before next season. They have over 14 mil dedicated to Ristolainen, Miller, Jokiharju, and Montour (who is getting a raise as an RFA next summer, so more like 16 mil to the group)). That's too much cap space toward one portion of the roster. So after Bogosian and Nelson, one of Ristolainen (probably), Montour (maybe), or Miller (probably not), have to go.

Jokiharju will still be on his ELC, so they don't HAVE to move any of their RHD after this season.

Just like this past offseason, it all comes down to whether another GM makes a good enough offer to Botts that it makes sense to move someone or not.

Injuries happen. And having organizational depth at LHD & RHD that is more than just the top 3 at each position is very important.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Jokiharju will still be on his ELC, so they don't HAVE to move any of their RHD after this season.

Just like this past offseason, it all comes down to whether another GM makes a good enough offer to Botts that it makes sense to move someone or not.

Injuries happen. And having organizational depth at LHD & RHD that is more than just the top 3 at each position is very important.

I could list out individual cap hits, but I'll summarize by saying that by removing all pending UFAs off the roster except for Girgensons and Larsson (re-signing at 2 mil each), and re-signing all RFAs, and calling up Thompson, Asplund, Cozens, and Pilut, Buffalo will be very close 82 or 83 mil in cap hits. So no, they don't "have to" trade an RHD, but they won't be able to improve the FW group without doing so.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I could list out individual cap hits, but I'll summarize by saying that by removing all pending UFAs off the roster except for Girgensons and Larsson (re-signing at 2 mil each), and re-signing all RFAs, and calling up Thompson, Asplund, Cozens, and Pilut, Buffalo will be very close 82 or 83 mil in cap hits. So no, they don't "have to" trade an RHD, but they won't be able to improve the FW group without doing so.

There are ways to improve the forwards for next season that have nothing to do with trading away a RHD.

Finding a team to trade Okposo to would be one way to clear cap space to make moves up front.

But, the best way to make the forwards better will be players they have drafted developing into contributors that are better than the guys that are seeing their contracts expire at the end of this season.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There are ways to improve the forwards for next season that have nothing to do with trading away a RHD.

Finding a team to trade Okposo to would be one way to clear cap space to make moves up front.

But, the best way to make the forwards better will be players they have drafted developing into contributors that are better than the guys that are seeing their contracts expire at the end of this season.

I was taking into account players like Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Thompson, etc improving, with my earlier posts. As for Okposo, I wouldn't count on any team trading for him at a reasonable cost (a 1st isn't reasonable to me).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was taking into account players like Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Thompson, etc improving, with my earlier posts. As for Okposo, I wouldn't count on any team trading for him at a reasonable cost (a 1st isn't reasonable to me).

Other GMs have been able to move guys on bad contracts without having to give up a 1st.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I would give up a prospect like Davidsson+2nd for someone to take Okposo. Hell, it wouldn't even be a bad move to retain 25% of his deal and see if you can find a taker that way also. 1.5 mil a season the next 3 years after this one is not bad at all.

For the trade Risto crowd, if we had moved him this summer you do realize that we would be playing Gilmour or Nelson major minutes the entire month of October right? D depth is a good ... no it is a GREAT thing.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I would give up a prospect like Davidsson+2nd for someone to take Okposo. Hell, it wouldn't even be a bad move to retain 25% of his deal and see if you can find a taker that way also. 1.5 mil a season the next 3 years after this one is not bad at all.

For the trade Risto crowd, if we had moved him this summer you do realize that we would be playing Gilmour or Nelson major minutes the entire month of October right? D depth is a good ... no it is a GREAT thing.
Once Bogo AND especially Montour went down, then I think most understand the desire for Botts to wait.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Toronto gave up a 1st round pick to get 1 year of Marleau off the books and two league executives told the media that Carolina didn't get enough from them. Okposo will have 3 more seasons after this. The only way he's getting traded is in a Lucic/Neal type of trade. So find every useless player starting at $5+ Million for 2-3 more seasons and start there. And by that point you're left with "why bother?". Buffalo is going to have to buy him out and eat the cap space.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Toronto gave up a 1st round pick to get 1 year of Marleau off the books and two league executives told the media that Carolina didn't get enough from them. Okposo will have 3 more seasons after this. The only way he's getting traded is in a Lucic/Neal type of trade. So find every useless player starting at $5+ Million for 2-3 more seasons and start there. And by that point you're left with "why bother?". Buffalo is going to have to buy him out and eat the cap space.

I believe this is going to be the case. Ditching 3 years of Okposo's contract will hurt more than it's worth. As for Ristolainen, I'm good with trading him after the dust settles with injuries, the inevitable trades of Bogosian and Scandella, and the (hopefully) promising development of Jokiharju. Even then, I wouldn't mind keeping him and trading Montour, depending how they each look under Krueger, Montour's likely increase, etc.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It was reported by Friedman over the summer. Lots of teams look at his raw physical tools and think "we can make him a star if we get him in our system". Check out his archived 31-thoughts

The main reports have been that Botts has set the price high for Risto and not that the offers are great.

Given that Risto is still on the roster, it might be a situation where Botts' valuation of Risto isn't matched by what other GMs are willing to give up for him.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
The main reports have been that Botts has set the price high for Risto and not that the offers are great.

Given that Risto is still on the roster, it might be a situation where Botts' valuation of Risto isn't matched by what other GMs are willing to give up for him.

Or is it a case that Botts really doesn't want to trade Risto.....remember the rumors out there during the coaching search that he was asking what you'd do with Risto to turn him around. Maybe the brass, and Risto are happy with the way things are going.....

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Then they can pound sand.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis

The price will likely peak around the TDL though. What if Winnipeg is in playoff contention at that point with their current D-core?

OswegoSabresFan

Jan 7, 2018

Can we have any defenceman over 6 ft 200 lbs.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Can we have any defenceman over 6 ft 200 lbs.

Sure, as long as they're good and their cap hit is worth it. Bogosian and Scandella are not worth keeping, but Ristolainen might be if he gets his game together (which I hope, and makes Montour expendable instead). McCabe is tall and heavy, Dahlin will be soon, and there is Samuelsson and Borgen if they progress to NHLers.

Primarily though, if they can play solid defense and exit/transition well, it doesn't matter as much how big they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad