Proposal: Rasmus Ristolainen. What would we want?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That's just silly. For the right price, you trade anyone. Like Risto is Perreault or something,
Most here feel you haven't yet hit the right price. Can you propose a trade of Risto to the Leafs which avoids asking for players (Sandin, Kapanen) the Leafs won't move, which also doesn't involve BUF giving up the best piece in a deal (i.e., an alternative to Risto or Risto + for Kadri + ??).

Exactly. We traded from a position of weakness with O'Reilly. There's no need to trade Risto, the key is game changer coming back. Big deals do happen, not as much today because GMs get scared. But yes, the reality is Toronto will trade some spare parts for a deadline deal to get D man of less quality than Risto.

Personally, I think Turgeon/Lafontaine and Housley/Hawerchuk deals make for a great sport. You get burned sometimes. I'm sure Chiarelli thought Larsson for Hall would be his mark on Oilers. Oops.

If our GM didn't even entertain ideas, I'd be very worried. I'm sure he's ready to make a deal for anyone, if he could get what he wanted.
I assume you are referring to the first ROR deal.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
As king for a day I'd trade Risto for a 2C, not much else. I don't expect anyone to offer the 2C I'd want.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Most here feel you haven't yet hit the right price. Can you propose a trade of Risto to the Leafs which avoids asking for players (Sandin, Kapanen) the Leafs won't move, which also doesn't involve BUF giving up the best piece in a deal (i.e., an alternative to Risto or Risto + for Kadri + ??).

I assume you are referring to the first ROR deal.

We traded from a position of stupidity with first deal.

The second one, O'Reilly kind of screwed us with this lost love of game crap and everybody knowing he was available. I'm still convinced Pags not paying bonus lowered value by a decent bit.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Who do you want?

Honestly I can't think of anyone who'd be available straight up. Sean Couturier would be my pipe dream. If Chayka had a stroke I'd throw in a lot for Keller.

Buffalo's best option is OS Point. That would kill two birds with one stone. But it won't happen =[

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Honestly I can't think of anyone who'd be available straight up. Sean Couturier would be my pipe dream. If Chayka had a stroke I'd throw in a lot for Keller.

Buffalo's best option is OS Point. That would kill two birds with one stone. But it won't happen =[

I would drive him to the airport myself for Couts, but Philly would never move him. The dude is a selke level center (without 'love of the game' issues :laugh:).

I feel like people around here don't watch some of their trade targets. Guys like Hamilton, sure they'll pop for a play here or there when you watch as a visiting fan, but if you watch them on a shift by shift basis this fan base would get infuriated and pick them apart. There's a reason he's already on his 3rd team by the age of 25 and being included in trade rumors again.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Rasmus Andersson & Sam Bennet from the Flames. Need to get a younger, cheaper, right shooting defender who is NHL ready to replace Risto or at least someone who will be ready when Bogo is a UFA. A rat 3C/LW who can replace Sobotka in a year and maybe push Mitts in competition for 2C. Would at least replace Pomer next season.

Bennet due for an extension same summer as Tkachuk & with Mike Smith hitting UFA this summer, would free up close to $7m on Calgary cap without creating any holes in their lineup short term.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Rasmus Andersson & Sam Bennet from the Flames. Need to get a younger, cheaper, right shooting defender who is NHL ready to replace Risto or at least someone who will be ready when Bogo is a UFA. A rat 3C/LW who can replace Sobotka in a year and maybe push Mitts in competition for 2C. Would at least replace Pomer next season.

Bennet due for an extension same summer as Tkachuk & with Mike Smith hitting UFA this summer, would free up close to $7m on Calgary cap without creating any holes in their lineup short term.
I see where your head is at, trying to land a future top pairing DMan before he's valued that way, but this isn't the sort of deal we should be looking at. Sam Bennett isn't the piece that we need to improve scoring depth through the lineup.

No, this deal places too much expectation on Andersson, who looks like a real prospect, but it's too hard to tell for a player that been given incredibly sheltered deployment on one of the 2 best teams in the league.

Also, I'm not sure that I get it for Calgary in the case that you make because Risto's contract, though good value, isn't exactly a low number. We'd have to take more salary back than that, which is also a loss for us.

To make it work for salary and value, you end up having to add too much to both sides. Like, the Sabres probably need a top forward prospect in there, let's say, Dillon Dube, and then to make the salary work, take back a bad contract, but Calgary doesn't really have any of those.

I don't think this works.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We traded from a position of stupidity with first deal.

The second one, O'Reilly kind of screwed us with this lost love of game crap and everybody knowing he was available. I'm still convinced Pags not paying bonus lowered value by a decent bit.
I feel the exact opposite re: the ROR trades. The first one BUF traded lesser-value assets to get the best player, and create a strength. The second one was a trading from a position of stupidity / weakness, and creating a weakness. But this isn't an ROR thread, so we'll leave it at that.

Still not crazy about your original proposal. Leafs losing Kadri is not a big loss to them, considering their stable of top-flight youth who can play center. Sending them a 25+ minute a night top-4 RHD in Risto solves their problems too. No bueno.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Have no problem with Kadri. Guy is a **** on the ice, but he's pretty damn good for being a secondary center. As a Buffalo fan, if we can improve our team, and a guy becomes available where we can acquire him, then do it regardless of his character. If our organization can't handle/help these type of players, then our team is too fragile to be competitive. So sick and tired of seeing fans wanting to limit what players come here because they don't like them.

I can learn to like the player that is in a Buffalo uniform. Save your hatred for a player when he leaves, we're here to make Buffalo a better team. If I had to take Marchand, Neil, Kadri, Lucic, Tom Wilson, and other ****s on ice, to assure us to have a better team, I'm doing it. I don't have time to worry about my emotion on the players.

As for Trading Kadri for Risto...He wouldn't be the player I would want on the team frm Toronto. I'd do it for Nylander though.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
With three years plus years at $5.4 M cap, his value is massive. If people don't realize that, there's no point. Tough, right-hnaded D man with offense.

Why move him? Act getting stale. We need offence badly.

My number one taker? Leafs. Would we have guts to trade there? I say yes.

Ask.

I start with Rasmus Sandin, I want Kadri, a $4.5 M cap hit, good 2nd line centre.

After that I need one more very good young piece. Not sure who. Kapanen and I'm done but doubt Leafs do it. No interest in Nylander. One is enough. A 1st? No scraps like Connor Brown. No throws in like Marleau unless they come with picks.

Risto is not worth anywhere close to that.

Sandin will be a star in this league.

Deleted member 27798

Sorry to hijack, but on a related Risto note...I know this would never happen, he probably wouldn't like it to happen, and the defense probably can't afford to lose him, but whenever I watch Risto in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick, it makes me wonder if he would be a really good power forward?

Ok...back to reality.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Sorry to hijack, but on a related Risto note...I know this would never happen, he probably wouldn't like it to happen, and the defense probably can't afford to lose him, but whenever I watch Risto in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick, it makes me wonder if he would be a really good power forward?

Ok...back to reality.

Honestly, I'd rather have him at forward. I could see him being a really strong power forward, and would give him less opportunities to lose his guy around his own crease. Putting him in positions to make as little decisions with the puck as possible would help the team.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Exactly. We traded from a position of weakness with O'Reilly. There's no need to trade Risto, the key is game changer coming back. Big deals do happen, not as much today because GMs get scared. But yes, the reality is Toronto will trade some spare parts for a deadline deal to get D man of less quality than Risto.

Personally, I think Turgeon/Lafontaine and Housley/Hawerchuk deals make for a great sport. You get burned sometimes. I'm sure Chiarelli thought Larsson for Hall would be his mark on Oilers. Oops.

If our GM didn't even entertain ideas, I'd be very worried. I'm sure he's ready to make a deal for anyone, if he could get what he wanted.
There was no need to trade RoR from a position of weakness its not like someone forced them by gunpoint to do it when they did it and with whom.

Reactions: sabremike

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
There was no need to trade RoR from a position of weakness its not like someone forced them by gunpoint to do it when they did it and with whom.
That's exactly why the Ristolainen trade talk is ludicrous!

Unless we're looking to go full blown rebuild I suppose. But that would take some serious balls at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad