Proposal: Rasmus Ristolainen. What would we want?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I can't think of realistic C who would be available for Risto. That's what it would take IMO.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Toronto is an obvious choice but let’s take a look at what we have realistically in the pipeline over the next couple years without Risto

Dahlin
Pilut
Guhle
Laaksonen
Samuelson
Borgon

Obviously Dahlin is huge and fills a massive need once we won the lotto but even before that the cupboard was pretty bare. Hell, last year we were literally hinging our future on the success of Guhle lol.

Risto is a solid defenseman who I believe is slowly being spotted into his “true” role which is a top 4 D that can do a bit of everything. He has some offensive upside, solid skater, big and tough, powerful shot... just not a guy you want to anchor your defense around and I’m cool with that because we have Dahlin.

So sure, if Dubas calls me up and offers Marner for Risto as the base of the deal I’m accepting immediately. I’ll worry about defense later. In that situation (or a similar one) you’re getting the “better” player even if it’s a premium swap. Marner > Risto but D>W.

At some point Buffalo has to “build up” the roster vs grabbing futures. I think what you’d start at is something like this:

Risto +

For

[Immediate impact Roster Player probably 2C/1W, term required even if UFA after]
[highish end d prospect (B/B+), projects as a possible top4 d, preferably in NHL or just outside]
[1st round pick in 2019 or UNprotected 2020]

Risto is valuable but the Sabres already have a bit of question marks after Dahlin/Risto. Pilut seems solid. After that you kinda know what you have in Bogo, Beaulieu, Nelson and Scandella. In any trade it’s an absolute requirement Buffalo gets the best player back in the deal. This is not like the ROR trade where we got futures back. Any deal needs to be undisputed in who got the best player. You want our top 4 D who is very versatile? Great you’re paying a position premium and we’re taking the better player back. Period.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The Jets may be the second most interesting cap situation to watch between now and the start of next season behind the Leafs.

Jets UFAs:

Tyler Myers RHD
Ben Chiarot LHD
Brandon Tanev LW/RW

Jets RFAs with arbitration rights:

Jacob Trouba RHD
Andrew Copp C/LW
Joe Morrow RHD
Nicolas Petan C
Laurent Brossoit G

Jets RFAs without arbitration rights:

Patrik Laine LW/RW
Kyle Connor LW
Brendan Lemieux LW/RW

Winnipeg Jets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

And they have 10 players signed for next season at a total cap hit of roughly $55.6M.
Exactly. The majority of people have focused on the Leafs because Marner and Matthews are more high profile than Laine, Connor, and Trouba and Toronto always gets more publicity. Winnipeg is a team that'll have to make some tough choices in the coming years. Maybe not this off-season if they play hardball with Laine and Connor and maybe bridge them to keep their cap hits down, but sooner or later a good player may have to moved for cap reasons and it looks like time is running out for them and Trouba. This would be the time to strike.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I don't think this is a move that we need to be making right now. We just need some honest NHL-level middle 6 forward talent. I don't think we need to leverage him to fill that hole. Hell, it may just happen naturally as we bring up reinforcements from Rochester. EDIT: Though I do think we could use a modest trade or two to address it as well.

While Risto is NOT a fancy stat darling playing obscene 1D minutes, I'm in the camp he can be a tremendous player if just pushed down the depth chart one or two spots (which is due to happen as Dahlin develops). I'd want to keep him around barring some unbelievable package coming back.

Last edited:
Reactions: RWatson29

Deleted member 27798

Risto is valuable but the Sabres already have a bit of question marks after Dahlin/Risto. Pilut seems solid. After that you kinda know what you have in Bogo, Beaulieu, Nelson and Scandella. In any trade it’s an absolute requirement Buffalo gets the best player back in the deal. This is not like the ROR trade where we got futures back. Any deal needs to be undisputed in who got the best player. You want our top 4 D who is very versatile? Great you’re paying a position premium and we’re taking the better player back. Period.
Don't forget about McCabe? ;)

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
With three years plus years at $5.4 M cap, his value is massive. If people don't realize that, there's no point. Tough, right-hnaded D man with offense.

Why move him? Act getting stale. We need offence badly.

My number one taker? Leafs. Would we have guts to trade there? I say yes.

Ask.

I start with Rasmus Sandin, I want Kadri, a $4.5 M cap hit, good 2nd line centre.

After that I need one more very good young piece. Not sure who. Kapanen and I'm done but doubt Leafs do it. No interest in Nylander. One is enough. A 1st? No scraps like Connor Brown. No throws in like Marleau unless they come with picks.

First off, f*** the idea of trading him to the Leafs. Unless they're sending us Marner, Sandin and a 1st; they can swing. How would you want to send him to help them. Also, if Kadri ever is in a Sabres uniform, I might boycott. He's a fine hockey player, but I simply cannot stand him.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Moving him without a d men coming back is creating a new hole.
You cannot adress the center depth with substracting d.
He is still or 2nd best d if you like him or not.
Unless its an overpayment I wouldnt move him.

Reactions: RWatson29

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Ryan Spooner
Evan Bouchard
Ryan McLeod

Rasmus Ristolainen
Sean Malone

We get our young 2c, a promising dman, a decent forward prospect and a change of scenery forward/cap dump.

Edmonton gets cap space, a top pairing dman signed long term, and a very near future bottom six center.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Ryan Spooner
Evan Bouchard
Ryan McLeod

Rasmus Ristolainen
Sean Malone

We get our young 2c, a promising dman, a decent forward prospect and a change of scenery forward/cap dump.

Edmonton gets cap space, a top pairing dman signed long term, and a very near future bottom six center.

Too many Ryans involved in one trade.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
You would have no Dahlin

You think having McAvoy last season puts Buffalo ahead of Ottawa? I don't.

Edit - doesn't matter anyway, without a crystal ball forecasting Dahlin the team had a choice of several very good D-men to pick, which they were desperate for, and they went with a winger instead. D-men are higher impact players than wings, and the wing they got is teetering on bust. Indefensible.

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Ryan Spooner
Evan Bouchard
Ryan McLeod

Rasmus Ristolainen
Sean Malone

I like for us, but I think Edmonton is desperate for secondary scoring. Not sure that they can afford to lose RNH without getting some back.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If you in some mental situation deal Ristolainen you deal him outside your conference if possible. Never to your geographically closest rival..

This is the dumbest logic. You either have the courage or you don't. You don't take less to move him to other conference. Coward move.

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
This is the dumbest logic. You either have the courage or you don't. You don't take less to move him to other conference. Coward move.

Then you dont. Atleast in a real world where overpayments of that magnitude to warrant a trade to the Leafs that would make sense does not happen.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Ryan Spooner
Evan Bouchard
Ryan McLeod

Rasmus Ristolainen
Sean Malone

Chiarelli got fired, unfortunately.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Bufbro

Jun 19, 2018
I think it would really have to be a RNH or Duchene with an extension type deal. Probably unlikely

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Liljegren + Kadri. I’d do it all day.

The only problem is that we would be letting them off the hook for cap issues. But, you know somebody is going to help them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad