Friedman: Rasmus Ristolainen has a lot of potential buyers this summer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Buffalo is likely going to be disappointed. We all heard ROR would get a King's ransom but he returned a 1st, meh young player and 2 cap dumps.

Could of got a better return from Montreal if the Sabres and Habs GM respected each other. Rumors I heard is the Sabres wanted Poehling and a 1st. Poehling was off the table but we had better prospects and young players to offer vs what you got from the Blues. Sabres GM didn't budge and the negotiations got sour where you then flipped him for a meh return.

The issue with ROR value is his contract is full of bonus money in July. Not many owners like this and can fork out that kind of money months before the season starts. Would of not been a problem with the Habs.

Bergevin was clearly in on ROR... he was on record saying to our media "Tell the Sabres GM to lower his price and call me". There was clearly sour negotiations there which affected a fair deal IMO.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Could of got a better return from Montreal if the Sabres and Habs GM respected each other. Rumors I heard is the Sabres wanted Poehling and a 1st. Poehling was off the table but we had better prospects and young players to offer vs what you got from the Blues. Sabres GM didn't budge and the negotiations got sour where you then flipped him for a meh return.

The issue with ROR value is his contract is full of bonus money in July. Not many owners like this and can fork out that kind of money months before the season starts. Would of not been a problem with the Habs.

Bergevin was clearly in on ROR... he was on record saying to our media "Tell the Sabres GM to lower his price and call me". There was clearly sour negotiations there which affected a fair deal IMO.

Bergevin could have very well cost his team a playoff berth then.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal was incredibly close to making the playoffs. Having ROR all year might have vaulted them into the playoffs rather then being on the outside looking in.

It don't mean we should of traded Poehling and our 1st for ROR though. Habs were interested in ROR and we would of given you a better return vs the Blues. But our two GM's did not get along in negotiations. Sabres stood their ground and Bergevin moved on.

Honestly, I would of rather the Habs delay our reset and pride/rebound year. There were many things we could of done to ice a roster that resulted in another bottom 10 pick and a better shot a lottery win. I didn't want to make the playoffs this year. The goal is to rise again in a few years. But hey, we had a decent season and we have one of the youngest roster in the league with a top prospect pool. The only vet I am worried about it Weber. He has 2-4 years left. Price is 31, not 36.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I love all the posts on "Buffalo is going to be disappointed" and so on.

If Risto is moved, the return will be surprising to many. This isn't an ROR situation, where Botterill is looking to move a core piece for a shake up.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
A Kadri for Ristolainen trade makes sense for both teams.

No interest in William Nylander, we are already a soft team and he's $7M AAV - our dumbass GM botched Reinhart's contract and that mistake is going to cost us about $2M a year.

I put up a Risto/Kadri poll on Twitter a couple of weeks ago - 70% of Sabres fans voted against the trade.

Probably the best proposal on here from a realistic standpoint.

Kadri is gone. It’s just what they get in return. And a struggling 24 yr old 40 pt D, who at this point has shown no sign of getting better defensively, is probably not worth anything more than Kadri. A player with his own baggage, whos value is hurt after this spring’s meltdown. If Kadri didn’t have said baggage, not sure the Leafs would do it, but as it stands, it’s at least realistic. How the in division thing plays out, who knows.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Probably the best proposal on here from a realistic standpoint.

Kadri is gone. It’s just what they get in return. And a struggling 24 yr old 40 pt D, who at this point has shown no sign of getting better defensively, is probably not worth anything more than Kadri. A player with his own baggage, whos value is hurt after this spring’s meltdown. If Kadri didn’t have said baggage, not sure the Leafs would do it, but as it stands, it’s at least realistic. How the in division thing plays out, who knows.

Leafs wont be trading their 4.5 million per year, center. Im not a fan, but the Leafs dont have anyone else to fill that spot, and most certainly not Nylander. The Leafs are going to need value contracts and, Kadri with a 4.5 million dollar hit fits well, and is the only Leaf that has any sandpaper and is a recent back to back 30 goal scorer. He wont be going anywhere.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think he gets a 1st + a decent prospect + a roster player who balances cap

Sekera + 1st + Bear? Seems like a bit of an overpayment imo, depends on how you view Sekera, I think he is still solid.

Barkkonen

May 10, 2011
I think he gets a 1st + a decent prospect + a roster player who balances cap

Sekera + 1st + Bear? Seems like a bit of an overpayment imo, depends on how you view Sekera, I think he is still solid.
top 5 pick + Sekera + cap for Risto? Something Chiarelli would do, shame he is not with Oilers anymore.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Leafs wont be trading their 4.5 million per year, center. Im not a fan, but the Leafs dont have anyone else to fill that spot, and most certainly not Nylander. The Leafs are going to need value contracts and, Kadri with a 4.5 million dollar hit fits well, and is the only Leaf that has any sandpaper and is a recent back to back 30 goal scorer. He wont be going anywhere.

Except he’s a loose cannon and cost the team in the playoffs again. Just can’t see them keeping him around to do it again next spring. I like what he brings to the table too but time to move on.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I love all the posts on "Buffalo is going to be disappointed" and so on.

If Risto is moved, the return will be surprising to many. This isn't an ROR situation, where Botterill is looking to move a core piece for a shake up.
With the news that Bogo is possibly out till November after his hip surgery, Sabres can’t afford to lose another RHD. Best to be patient, see how Risto does with a new coach in a reduced role behind Montour. There is always the trade deadline when he would bring a huge haul.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
With the news that Bogo is possibly out till November after his hip surgery, Sabres can’t afford to lose another RHD. Best to be patient, see how Risto does with a new coach in a reduced role behind Montour. There is always the trade deadline when he would bring a huge haul.

Not an issue in this...

I think they trade him and get back a F and a D. The D is a top 6 who rep,aces him.

If no D acquired then buffalo has

Dahlin-zborgrn
Pilut-Montour
Scandella-Nelson
Hunwick

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not an issue in this...

I think they trade him and get back a F and a D. The D is a top 6 who rep,aces him.

If no D acquired then buffalo has

Dahlin-zborgrn
Pilut-Montour
Scandella-Nelson
Hunwick
McCabe?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Most threads and fans were talking about ROR and how he had comparable stats to Bergeron etc. Props to the fans that were reasonable in their expectations for the return. I actually thought the return should have been better then what they got but not as much as some fans were suggesting.
This is just stupid remark considering he was definitely worth those types of others Botterill's donkeyness just took a crap offer. Doesn't mean Taylor Hall is worth Adam Larsson 1 for 1 either just because it happened.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Teams & deals I would look at for Ristolainen:

Tampa Bay- Cirelli, Miller
-Tampa needs someone on the right side, Ristolainen could be that guy. Callahan could also go to Buffalo as a cap dump enhancing Buffalo’s return. Getting a top end, Young, cost controlled, right shot defenseman should be Tampa Bay’s main priority this off-season.

My Idea:
To Tampa Bay:
D- Ristolainen
F- Alex Nylander

To Buffalo:
C-Cirelli
C- Miller
F- Callahan

Winnipeg- Trouba, Ehlers
-Winnipeg is probably losing Trouba and needs to revamp the right side of their defense as Byfuglien is getting older, Trouba won’t re-sign, and Myers is a UFA. Buffalo would definitely need to add something.
My Idea:

To Winnipeg:
D- Ristolainen
2019 1st (Via SJ/St.L)

To Buffalo:
D- Trouba
C- Copp

Philadelphia:
They could want a RHD to pair with Provorov/Ghost/Sanheim.

To Buffalo:
F- Konecny
F- Hartman
D- Gudas

To Philadelphia:
D- Ristolainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad