Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I do not want Dahlin to do anything that his body that can adversely affect his skating style. I could care less about "strength" when hes an elite athlete. Hes plenty strong, we dont need anyone to try and change anything about his game. Let him be. He became a superstar prospect by doing what he has, I dont think he needs to listen to anyone.

Im sure glad Rasmus doesn't have this attitude. He is humble and always trying to improve his game. Our coach is a hall of fame defenseman and you don't think he could teach a single thing to the kid? He is a phenomenal talent but let's not treat Rasmus like he is a ready-made gift from god who doesn't need any sort of coaching or mentoring whatsoever. Treat him like any other player (obviously not entirely but in general) and let him learn and develop and grow.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Q&A: Sweden's national coach Rikard Gronborg talks...

Craig Custance: You know (Sabres No. 1 overall pick) Rasmus Dahlin well, too. What are Buffalo fans in for there?

Rikard Gronborg:
He’s one of the two first overall players to ever come out of Sweden, first of all. It’s him and Mats Sundin. I just talked to Mats Sundin a few minutes ago. (Dahlin is) one of those talents that comes out of great programs. He does more or less everything you see on the ice. He can do the dazzling things, he can defend very well, which is something I know he’s worked on last year and picked up quite a bit. He’s also a dependable defenseman. He can play physical. He has no problem — he has a little bit of a mean streak, which I don’t know if everyone knows that about him. If you really look at him, he can make a big body check and play pretty tough in front of the net. He has the size to back it up as well. People talk about the package, you get a package deal right there. He can play as much as the premier players in the National Hockey league when it comes to that position. He will in the next couple years.

CC: He has a mean streak, eh? In talking to him, he’s pretty low key.

Gronborg:
He is very low key. I think that’s what sneaks up on you when you’re around him. Especially when you’re playing competitive drills in practice. He doesn’t take crap from anyone on the ice. You really noticed it in the Olympics when we prepared for that, you put him in a 3-on-3, 2-on-2 competitive drill situation in practice, he does have that little extra when it comes to competitiveness

Reactions: Buf fan in Nash

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Q&A: Sweden's national coach Rikard Gronborg talks...

Craig Custance: You know (Sabres No. 1 overall pick) Rasmus Dahlin well, too. What are Buffalo fans in for there?

Rikard Gronborg:
He’s one of the two first overall players to ever come out of Sweden, first of all. It’s him and Mats Sundin. I just talked to Mats Sundin a few minutes ago. (Dahlin is) one of those talents that comes out of great programs. He does more or less everything you see on the ice. He can do the dazzling things, he can defend very well, which is something I know he’s worked on last year and picked up quite a bit. He’s also a dependable defenseman. He can play physical. He has no problem — he has a little bit of a mean streak, which I don’t know if everyone knows that about him. If you really look at him, he can make a big body check and play pretty tough in front of the net. He has the size to back it up as well. People talk about the package, you get a package deal right there. He can play as much as the premier players in the National Hockey league when it comes to that position. He will in the next couple years.

CC: He has a mean streak, eh? In talking to him, he’s pretty low key.

Gronborg:
He is very low key. I think that’s what sneaks up on you when you’re around him. Especially when you’re playing competitive drills in practice. He doesn’t take crap from anyone on the ice. You really noticed it in the Olympics when we prepared for that, you put him in a 3-on-3, 2-on-2 competitive drill situation in practice, he does have that little extra when it comes to competitiveness

Please Dahlin, Please go the hardest vs Eichel. I want Dahlin to bring the fiery attitude out of Eichel so much. Eichel has the extra gear. Dahlin could be the key to unlock it.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Please Dahlin, Please go the hardest vs Eichel. I want Dahlin to bring the fiery attitude out of Eichel so much. Eichel has the extra gear. Dahlin could be the key to unlock it.
Yes, please. Less lollygagging Jack and more of the Jack vs. TOR/EDM variety. The fact that he noticeably raises his game against the league's other young stars lends credence to Dahlin pushing him in that direction.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Im sure glad Rasmus doesn't have this attitude. He is humble and always trying to improve his game. Our coach is a hall of fame defenseman and you don't think he could teach a single thing to the kid? He is a phenomenal talent but let's not treat Rasmus like he is a ready-made gift from god who doesn't need any sort of coaching or mentoring whatsoever. Treat him like any other player (obviously not entirely but in general) and let him learn and develop and grow.

Do you remember when ruff wanted Myers to become more Chara and less Niedermayer and totally altered his play style and game ? Yeah that's what I want to totally avoid of course if the coaching staff can teach him a thing or two of course I hope he heeds advice. Especially since I clearly was quoting a post where a non Sabre fan was concerned Dahlin didnt have enough muscle on him which is just silly since he is already possessing a nhl body and I dont want him to do a single thing that would change his skating or playing style.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Do you remember when ruff wanted Myers to become more Chara and less Niedermayer and totally altered his play style and game ? Yeah that's what I want to totally avoid of course if the coaching staff can teach him a thing or two of course I hope he heeds advice. Especially since I clearly was quoting a post where a non Sabre fan was concerned Dahlin didnt have enough muscle on him which is just silly since he is already possessing a nhl body and I dont want him to do a single thing that would change his skating or playing style.

Hey Myers, I want you to become a more well-rounded defenseman that can utilize your size better and more effectively by focusing on your play in our own zone a little more...What the hell was he thinking...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Hey Myers, I want you to become a more well-rounded defenseman that can utilize your size better and more effectively by focusing on your play in our own zone a little more...What the hell was he thinking...

Uh, exactly what was he thinking? Just because he was 6'7 didnt mean he was capable of being a bruiser which is exactly what Ruff told Myers to do and it noticeably affected his speed and puck carrying abilities. Myers was never a banger and we should have been content with him skating up and down the ice, using his long stick and reach and playing the body whenever feasible. Myers peaked his first few years and was never the same after he noticeably bulked up. And it had nothing to do with defensive play. Scott Nieds was one of the best two way dmen of all time. Myers was doing just fine playing the way he did as a rookie. Taking the puck up the ice without fear using his reach and creating offense. Having him focus on trying to run people through the boards was terrible.

That is the last thing I want to happen to Dahlin. I dont want his game altered. He has progressed just fine. He doesn't need to add unnecessary weight or "bulk up" if it effects his skating, agility or speed even one tiny bit. Dahlins generational ability to skate up and down the ice effortlessly is only bettered by McDavid. I would much rather see that 25 minutes an night 82 games a year then have Dahlin bulk up to be more physical and have his game altered.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Uh, exactly what was he thinking? Just because he was 6'7 didnt mean he was capable of being a bruiser which is exactly what Ruff told Myers to do and it noticeably affected his speed and puck carrying abilities. Myers was never a banger and we should have been content with him skating up and down the ice, using his long stick and reach and playing the body whenever feasible. Myers peaked his first few years and was never the same after he noticeably bulked up. And it had nothing to do with defensive play. Scott Nieds was one of the best two way dmen of all time. Myers was doing just fine playing the way he did as a rookie. Taking the puck up the ice without fear using his reach and creating offense. Having him focus on trying to run people through the boards was terrible.

That is the last thing I want to happen to Dahlin. I dont want his game altered. He has progressed just fine. He doesn't need to add unnecessary weight or "bulk up" if it effects his skating, agility or speed even one tiny bit. Dahlins generational ability to skate up and down the ice effortlessly is only bettered by McDavid. I would much rather see that 25 minutes an night 82 games a year then have Dahlin bulk up to be more physical and have his game altered.

He wanted him to learn to use his body better, which would’ve helped with clearing the front, separating guys off the puck...you know things that you do to play defense. Funny enough he played his best hockey under Ruff...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Let him loose, do not try to 'coach him up'. Our coaches don't know what he can do, he's a prodigy, let him grow his skills and experiment. Of course that doesn't mean coaches can't do some teaching when mistakes are made, he'll already know what he did wrong but even great players like to be coached/motivated.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Let him loose, do not try to 'coach him up'. Our coaches don't know what he can do, he's a prodigy, let him grow his skills and experiment. Of course that doesn't mean coaches can't do some teaching when mistakes are made, he'll already know what he did wrong but even great players like to be coached/motivated.

So, which one is it?

I'm confused.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
So, which one is it?

I'm confused.

Don't rein him in, give him feedback and instruction but make sure the message is being received the right way - that we want him to play with the same confidence here as he did in the SHL, make mistakes, take risks, he will figure out what he can get away with and what he can't. He's 18, unfamiliar with NHL players, smaller ice surface and everything off the ice will be new to him so there is a danger he could lose confidence when his mistakes end up in the back of our net.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Myers’ strength and conditioning plan early in his career was complete garbage and is directly reaponsible for the lower body injuries that have consistently limited his career.

Someone of his size had no business adding the weight he did, especially all at once and without the opportunity to stress test in games.

That’s on top of using him as a traditional shutdown defenseman instead of a dominant transition player with a totally unique skillset.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Dahlin loves coaching and watches video on his own - and then when he makes a mistake and sees how to not make it, he doesn't make it again.

This is why getting Steve Smith could be the second best move the Sabres made all offseason. I trust him to work with Dahlin and help him be the player he can be.

Reactions: ZZamboni

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm pumped for him, but defends like lindstrom sounds like an exaggeration, at least at this time.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yes if you google Dahlin a pic of Lidstrom appears. For how great Karlsson and Hedman are only Dahlin can ever come close to Lids.

If Dahlin truly is a generational prospect and has a McDavid type rookie season this is almost assuredly a playoff team then. I dont expect Dahlin to have an insane rookie season but 22 minutes a night, 40 points, playing good two way hockey is a reasonable expectation.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
I hate that the media can only compare players to others of the same nationality for some reason. Dahlin is more similar to Subban in style than to Lidström, Karlsson or Hedman. If you really have to go with a Swedish comparison OEL would be the best one.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I hate that the media can only compare players to others of the same nationality for some reason. Dahlin is more similar to Subban in style than to Lidström, Karlsson or Hedman. If you really have to go with a Swedish comparison OEL would be the best one.

I agree with the premise, but seriously??? OEL? If anybody I would've said a slightly more physical John Klingberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad