Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Better rookie year Tyler Myers or Rasmus Dahlin?

I’m betting on Dahlin having less points, but a better game. Unless multiple guys have career years, Mitts and Dahlin are joining a team with similar talent to less than last year.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Depends on which PP unit they put him on as that alone is probably a 10-15 point difference. Our team tends to frontload PP1 time very heavy like Pittsburgh. I also don't see them using two D on PP1.

Had to heavy load it because we only had maybe 6 guys worth a damn to put in a PP.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
30-35 points should be a fair prediction if he plays on the top pp unit. I cant wait to see him and Jack on the ice together...

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Watched the WJC gold medal game replay on TSN last night. Dahlin is just awesome. Around 45 points year one. Will dominate this league.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Under 48

30-35 and I’m happy anything over is excellent. If he was on a better team I could see him putting up more. Also depends on who is partner is and if he is gonna have to cover for them all the time. I would like to see him sheltered for the most part and not thrown to the wolves like most of our other young in’s to this point. Let him develop without any pressure on him.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
About 45 points if he plays a whole season. Last season he had 20pts in 41 SHL games with very little time on the 1st PP unit. He will get that time here.

Housley can't afford to limit Dahlin's PP minutes like Frolunda's coach did - he's coaching the worst team in the league and Dahlin will immediately be his best option.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Over 48 points. If he's truely generational then we have no one playing defense to really compare him too who was this hyped as a rookie. If he truely is generational than he will set rookie records for a defensemen and every rookie after that will be compared on how many Dahlin's they rank.

He will play for more ice time and be on the PP in Buffalo, playing with better players than hes had.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I’m betting on Dahlin having less points, but a better game. Unless multiple guys have career years, Mitts and Dahlin are joining a team with similar talent to less than last year.
Does not compute at all.

Unless every core building block takes a step backwards, rookies are a bust, Sobotka and Berglund are worse than Nolan and Josephson while Okposo gets worse while Hutton goes mentally crazy and develops a hate for goalposts then sure.

If you honestly believe we have worse talent and are going backwards rather than forwards than Botterill should have been fired weeks ago.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
About 45 points if he plays a whole season. Last season he had 20pts in 41 SHL games with very little time on the 1st PP unit. He will get that time here.

Housley can't afford to limit Dahlin's PP minutes like Frolunda's coach did - he's coaching the worst team in the league and Dahlin will immediately be his best option.

Risto is a very good PPQB. I’d stick Dahlin on PP2 and see where it goes. If he earns his way to the first unit that’s great.

Dahlin produced 20 in 41 which is approx 25 points in 82 in the NHL. If we consider that he could get some significant PP time by the end of the season (on either unit) it seems reasonable that he could be a 30-35pt defenseman year one. That season would probably make him our second highest scoring D and likely our second best overall defenseman.

Dahlin is an incredible talent but it would be nothing short of extraordinary for him to hit close to 50pts on this team year one.

Again, realistically he’s probably in that 30-35pt range, and could symmetrically hover around that 40pt mark if he gets time on the first unit.

Reactions: Goathead

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Does not compute at all.

Unless every core building block takes a step backwards, rookies are a bust, Sobotka and Berglund are worse than Nolan and Josephson while Okposo gets worse while Hutton goes mentally crazy and develops a hate for goalposts then sure.

If you honestly believe we have worse talent and are going backwards rather than forwards than Botterill should have been fired weeks ago.

So my math looks like this

Eichel and Reinhart could improve, they are the biggest hope for making the leap.

Sheary replaces Kane give or take.

Casey would have to have a monster season to replace O’Reilly. 60 points for a rookie, plus good two way play would be a tremendous year.

Which to me means the benefit of depth provided by Berglund and Sobotka gets eaten up some to replace the difference between Casey and O’Reilly. So let’s say Sobotka is the real pure addition there.

The rest of the depth is a guessing game for improvement.

On defense it all relies on Dahlin and health. Dahlin is the only significant improvement. If Bogo plays 70 games, then we have some real improvement.

Goalies are a crapshoot.

So when I say Dahlin is joining a team with similar talent as last year, excludes him to a degree. Because you need rookies to be great or vets to have great years.

Like Sheary replacing Kane’s production requires him to have a year on par with his best one so far, in which he played with Crosby for the most part. I like that we added him for that price, but all he did was replace a piece we lost from a last place team.

I’m open to seeing how a lot of the young guys show up, but based on anybody with a track record, it’s pretty difficult to show this team is on paper much better.

For example would it be super surprising if Mitts had an inconsistent year and only popped 40 points and 15 goals? I don’t think so.

So yeah, I don’t think you should expect Dahlin to light it up, with a team that is not drastically different from last place.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Does not compute at all.

It's part of the endless ROR whining. That's why we can't have nice threads.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Bobby Orr had 41 points as a rookie...
You know that argument can never hold up and frankly its disappointing that my previous post got deleted.

Like I said before, Ekblad had 39 points in his rookie season does that put him near the same level as Orr?

Myers had 48 points his rookie season and hasnt come close since.

So what exactly does Orr's rookie season having 41 points tell me?

Reactions: CraniumCram

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd be disappointed if he got less than 30-35 points.
I expect him to get ~40 (or pace to do that, if he misses some games). It's a high expectation, but if any 18-year-old defenseman can do that, it's him.
Anything over that would be truly incredible.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Risto is a very good PPQB. I’d stick Dahlin on PP2 and see where it goes. If he earns his way to the first unit that’s great.

Dahlin produced 20 in 41 which is approx 25 points in 82 in the NHL. If we consider that he could get some significant PP time by the end of the season (on either unit) it seems reasonable that he could be a 30-35pt defenseman year one. That season would probably make him our second highest scoring D and likely our second best overall defenseman.

Dahlin is an incredible talent but it would be nothing short of extraordinary for him to hit close to 50pts on this team year one.

Again, realistically he’s probably in that 30-35pt range, and could symmetrically hover around that 40pt mark if he gets time on the first unit.

What sort of quantum mechanics did you use for this equation?

It's a foregone conclusion that Dahlin is going to earn power play time. He's going to be their best offensive defenseman from Day 1.

And maybe it's just me, but 50pts would not be crazy for someone who's being compared to some of the best of all time. Myers, Werenski, and Gostisbehere all pretty much did it and none of them received half as much hype as Dahlin. It just requires the correct deployment. 50pts is an amazing season, but what's the limit for a player who has no precedent in today's game? He's better at this age than any defenseman currently playing in the NHL was. Makes sense then that he could be a better rookie than any of them were as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad