Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Was that ever a debate? The was obvious the first time I watched Dahlin.

Not that I’m aware of, just my own observation as well. I don’t think a lot of our posters have seen him enough to know how dangerous he is.

I suppose in this environment I need to add, that wasn’t a shot at Eichel, because he has great hands, particularly in the possession game to create space.

That question randallflagg had about what does Dahlin do that is uniquely special...

I think it’s the way he handles the puck as a skill in combination with knowing where to go with the puck. Some of his rushes remind me of Patty Kane in the way each dangle is a chain that leads to a better opportunity, rather than what most guys can do, get past someone and still box themselves into a bad position.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Eichel has great hands, but probably not what I would consider elite. "Dangling" isn't really his game though; he relies on his strength and reach to maintain possession and make plays, and at that he is elite. Just a different playing style.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Not that I’m aware of, just my own observation as well. I don’t think a lot of our posters have seen him enough to know how dangerous he is.

I suppose in this environment I need to add, that wasn’t a shot at Eichel, because he has great hands, particularly in the possession game to create space.

That question randallflagg had about what does Dahlin do that is uniquely special...

I think it’s the way he handles the puck as a skill in combination with knowing where to go with the puck. Some of his rushes remind me of Patty Kane in the way each dangle is a chain that leads to a better opportunity, rather than what most guys can do, get past someone and still box themselves into a bad position.
I was actually referring to skills that, on being drafted, were the literal greatest in the world, not 'uniquely special.'

But I understand what you are saying and am giddy to watch Rasmus Dahlin play, to the utter shock of most people who think they're reading what I'm saying.

My favorite clip so far from this week is how quickly he accelerates skating backwards. I hope Guhle makes it because we'll have some real horses back there then.

Reactions: sabrebuild

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
We wouldn't have finished last with even one more competant player on the roster.

And how do you know how the team had people ranked? How do you know Nylander and Mittelstadt weren't in their top 3 or 4 and the D left was in the double digits?

You don't.

I don't know if Tim Murray believed in drafting defenseman in the top 10.

IIRC He kind of said something along those lines.

I don't remember it word for word, but I am almost positive he made a comment in one of his interviews around draft time (some time after the Nylander draft iirc) about how he believed in drafting skilled forwards at the top of the draft because that was the only place you could get them, and also said something like if Buffalo drafted a bit later next year they'd be in the right position to take a d man in the 1st (or something along those lines).

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I have to imagine they'll have Rasmus sign his ELC today? Get him in the fold!
Every minute that Dahlin goes unsigned means there's a problem. Expect random Twitter accounts to make up a story and established insiders to refer to those tweets as "reports out of the Dahlin camp".

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Is it not strange that Dahlin has not signed his elc? Wouldn’t he want that out of the way before returning home?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m surprised they didn’t throw it into the July 1 signings just so when we weren’t really active people would say “hey...we signed the guy who matters”. But maybe they’re saving it to announce prospect tournament week to get a little buzz there.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Is it not strange that Dahlin has not signed his elc? Wouldn’t he want that out of the way before returning home?
It is strange when theres really nothing to negotiate.. a first overall pick gets a 925,000 ELC with full bonuses but maybe Botterill is playing hardball with the bonuses lol

He will sign, I have absolutely no worries about that.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
It is strange when theres really nothing to negotiate.. a first overall pick gets a 925,000 ELC with full bonuses but maybe Botterill is playing hardball with the bonuses lol

He will sign, I have absolutely no worries about that.
McDavid signed on July 3rd, Matthews July 21st. So Dahlin somewhere between.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
He couldn't sign until July 1st. He's probably already back in Sweden. Not to alarm anyone, but he might not sign until he comes back for camp.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Since he's European does he get to go UFA when he doesn't sign or does he have to go back into the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->