Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
So which of you insane buggers bought Rasmus´gameworn jersey from his last season in Frölunda för 4000USD + shipping?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He’s got McDavid/Datsyuk type hands and elusiveness. If he played centre, we still would have picked him first overall.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He’s got McDavid/Datsyuk type hands and elusiveness. If he played centre, we still would have picked him first overall.

One of the analysts said this at the draft and all I could think about was the one draft analyst guy who put Svechnikov ahead of him with his reasoning seemingly being how he values positions.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Totally forgot that Olofsson was also on Frolunda. That must be cool for the two of them.

The coolest thing about it is that Baker watched a ton of their games because of Olofsson and when the Sabres won the lottery his hype on Dahlin was amongst the highest of everyone. He’s the one who said Doughty was his floor...and this is a guy who is good at his job and had watched him as much as anyone

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The coolest thing about it is that Baker watched a ton of their games because of Olofsson and when the Sabres won the lottery his hype on Dahlin was amongst the highest of everyone. He’s the one who said Doughty was his floor...and this is a guy who is good at his job and had watched him as much as anyone

Also the guy who ranked Mittelstadt 3 in 2017.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Also the guy who ranked Mittelstadt 3 in 2017.

I remember listening to the wgr coverage on draft day and he kept throwing Mittelstadt’s name in and the other guys kept brushing past it. Then around pick 6 Baker got noticeably excited about it possibly happening at 8

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I remember listening to the wgr coverage on draft day and he kept throwing Mittelstadt’s name in and the other guys kept brushing past it. Then around pick 6 Baker got noticeably excited about it possibly happening at 8

So many on this board wanted a D because “draft for need”....one year later we need a C like Mittelstadt more then a D. Can we all admit how stupid passing on a superior prospect for need is at the top of a draft?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So many on this board wanted a D because “draft for need”....one year later we need a C like Mittelstadt more then a D. Can we all admit how stupid passing on a superior prospect for need is at the top of a draft?

You’re preaching to the choir on this.

It’s actually kind of hilarious where neglecting D landed us. The best D prospect in my lifetime lol.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

It’s kind of facetious logic. If they had drafted Serg or Mcavoy instead of nylander they might not have been in a position to draft Dahlin, even if only by finishing 2nd to last.

Not saying that you shouldn’t try to take the player you think is best, but a caution to the ego of anyone, people with decades of experience miss on picks all the time, so to some degree relying on yourself to know which guy is the “superior prospect” is a bit of a fools errand.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Name one other Dman in the NHL over 6 feet tall with hands like that...you won't be able too...

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Name one other Dman in the NHL over 6 feet tall with hands like that...you won't be able too...

I want to say that Doughty in his younger days attempted similar dangles, but not that smooth and casual.

I know ppl have their doubts, but I said it before, Dahlin has better hands today than Eichel does. And it’s not a shot at Eichel, Dahlin is just that good.

A week like this bums me out that I’m not close enough to catch a skate or two during work.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I want to say that Doughty in his younger days attempted similar dangles, but not that smooth and casual.

I know ppl have their doubts, but I said it before, Dahlin has better hands today than Eichel does. And it’s not a shot at Eichel, Dahlin is just that good.

A week like this bums me out that I’m not close enough to catch a skate or two during work.
I totally agree. Dahlin is in the McDavid class, Eichel's a clear cut below.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Was that ever a debate? The was obvious the first time I watched Dahlin.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You’re preaching to the choir on this.

It’s actually kind of hilarious where neglecting D landed us. The best D prospect in my lifetime lol.

So Murray did a good thing...But do you really believe that drafting a McAvoy, Serg, Chychrun would've stopped Buffalo from drafting Dahlin. In fact, if we did draft Defense, we would have a young top 4 that could go into the next decade as the best in the league.

But, again, the argument was whether to take Defense who were ranked in the same tier as Forwards(the basis for Need vs BPA argument). We weren't talking about taking a defenseman 3 tiers below a forward. People have said that a handful of D were in the same tier as forwards. But of course, people just gloss over that fact and think that crowd wanted us to take Defense no matter what.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So Murray did a good thing...But do you really believe that drafting a McAvoy, Serg, Chychrun would've stopped Buffalo from drafting Dahlin. In fact, if we did draft Defense, we would have a young top 4 that could go into the next decade as the best in the league.

But, again, the argument was whether to take Defense who were ranked in the same tier as Forwards(the basis for Need vs BPA argument). We weren't talking about taking a defenseman 3 tiers below a forward. People have said that a handful of D were in the same tier as forwards. But of course, people just gloss over that fact and think that crowd wanted us to take Defense no matter what.

We wouldn't have finished last with even one more competant player on the roster.

And how do you know how the team had people ranked? How do you know Nylander and Mittelstadt weren't in their top 3 or 4 and the D left was in the double digits?

You don't.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
We wouldn't have finished last with even one more competant player on the roster.

And how do you know how the team had people ranked? How do you know Nylander and Mittelstadt weren't in their top 3 or 4 and the D left was in the double digits?

You don't.

We don't know where they had them ranked. The argument isn't about what we believe the Sabres did, BPA vs Need.

For the Nylander draft, I believe Murray felt this team NEEDED a guy like Nylander. We didn't have anybody like him in our pipeline. For all we know, Murray could've drafted for NEED vs drafting over BPA.

The posters here, felt we needed defense on this team. So their opinions were strictly rooted in seeing Defenseman in their opinion being ranked right where Nylander was, and they felt for a team building purpose (the goal of a draft, because we BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT) defense was the obvious choice, even though Buffalo drafted the previous draft took 2 forwards and 4 defenseman. We're not going to know what their tier was. Maybe Buffalo had Nylander at a higher tier than the defenseman, which posters here would agree, you take the BPA at that point. The argument from the fans, was ALWAYS when in the same tier, you draft for need over anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->