Rasmus Dahlin calls out his teammates

Evergreen

It's baffling the coach hasn't been fired, especially with some good names available.
Well they've had 6 coaches in the last 10 years and have had the same lack of success under each of them. At a certain point you might think that it's much more than a coaching problem.

Reactions: Another AZ

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Well they've had 6 coaches in the last 10 years and have had the same lack of success under each of them. At a certain point you might think that it's much more than a coaching problem.
To be fair 6 coaches and - since I believe there's no carryover players left from the start of that time - a total turnover of all players could also be a problem in and of itself. Plus the assistants and trainers and stuff tend to turn over with coaches somewhat, so I'm sure by now they're all new too. Trying to change every piece at once constantly and hoping they eventually all land just right and gel out of the gate isn't the most realistic game plan.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I think a huge part of the problem is after the Pegula/Lafontaine fiasco, Tim Murray was the highest ranking hockey mind in the organization. Then it was Botterill. Now it is Adams. The Pegulas have never brought in anyone who has a proven record of success over a period of years to run the actual on ice product. Three first time GM's with nobody above them with any history of sustained success. It is kind of mind boggling.

The first reason is part of the second reason I think they are in such a bad way. The organization crowned Jack Eichel before we even drafted him. I mean there were questions about whose team it was with him and Ryan O'Reilly when Eichel was an 18 year old who had never played a game. The media and the fans were part of the crowning as well, but the organization played into it.

This is the real answer.

Reactions: haveandare

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
that eichel response to dahlin on the first goal, was.... pathetic. it was eichel’s guy, and then he just decided to stop checking him, or even watching the guy.

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
The problem with a culture change is that it has to start at the top, which means ownership.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Since firing Lindy here is a list of Sabres coaches:

Ron Rolston

Ted Nolan

Dan Bylsma

Phil Housley

Ralph Kreuger

Other than Ralph (Who would have zero chance of getting a HC gig if he was fired) how many of the guys hold HC gigs or had them after being fired by the Sabres?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I only saw a few minutes of action yesterday but on one shift Eichel made 3 passes to Matt Irwin. I get trying to be a good teammate, but you need to make decisions that will help your team.

Reactions: BFLO

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That’s not true of Pitkanen in his time in Carolina. He was actually a little bit sneaky dirty at times, always with his stick. I recall @bleedgreen commenting on it back then.
Yup Pitts would swing the stick when frustrated and it wasn’t always that sneaky. When the player would come to rough him up and retaliate he would extend his arms into cross check position and leave it out there so you had to high stick yourself in the face to get to him. Which was an old Messier trick actually. You could get to him and take a swing but you were going to receive a second shot that was probably worse than the first one just to get there.

In Messier’s case once you finally got there it was on, with Pitts he would always make sure the ref was there interrupt before the fighting part actually happened.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That's not calling your out your teammates, it's calling out the team as whole and basically saying everyone needs to be better, which is true

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
You think he hasn't been a liability this season? He's been very poor.

Dahlin is second-highest scoring teenage defenseman in NHL history, and the way he's been coached this season has made him look like Zach Bogosian because Ralph and co. decided Dahlin should play like a shutdown defenseman instead of playing to his skills. Your take is clueless

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
it's ok they play the Rangers next tomorrow
with Quinn at the helm it should be an easy 2 points for the sabres

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Eichel needs to stop quitting mid-game. I get he's frustrated but you can visibly tell when he's given up on the game. I feel bad for the guy at this point, get him some damn teammates or trade him. I see what Dahlin is saying, but when you're the 1st overall pick, it's on you to be THAT guy. It's just a shitty situation for Buffalo, 9M tied up in Skinner. They'll never be a real contender with that contract, unless Skinner starts playing like he's worth 9m.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s just making a general comment that the team needs to play better.

This stuff comes off better when a player says they need to better too, but I think it’s kind of implied. He does say. “We.”

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
How the heck are the Sabres still a bad team?

Eichel quits when the team falls behind, they're paying Skinner 9M, bad coaching, no depth. GM is completely incompetent. Sabres fans won't like it, but if they can't get rid of Skinner, they're better off selling Eichel extremely high. His value is there, he's a legit franchise player, but Skinners contract is such a handicap. They're essentially playing with 9M less cap space than every other team. Don't waste Eichels prime years. They'll have to pay a big price to move Skinner, if they can do that, continue to build around Eichel/Dahlin. If they can't, their best move for the future would be move Eichel for elite young pieces. Calgary would be a perfect fit, they need an elite C and have some young talent. Tkachuk + 1st + prospect ? Monahan might have to be added somewhere in the deal as well. But to me the problem looks like Eichel's frustrated and the team is at it's limit spending wise, Skinner contract is killing them.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad