TBN: Rasmus Asplund delivers 'outstanding' performance in emotional Sabres debut

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Rasmus Asplund delivers 'outstanding' performance in emotional Sabres debut
Rasmus Asplund emerged from the tunnel adjacent to the Buffalo Sabres' bench and took one lap by himself before he was joined by his teammates for pregame warmup Saturday night.
Meanwhile, approximately 3,825 miles away in Filipstad, Sweden, Asplund's parents, Stefan and Ramona, stayed awake for the 1:25 a.m. puck drop to watch their son make his National Hockey League debut. This was the realization of a dream that once seemed unattainable.

The emotions that consumed Asplund during that first lap paled in comparison to what he felt during the pregame ceremony on Hockey Fights Cancer night, when 50 cancer patients and survivors were welcomed on the ice for the ceremonial puck drop. Asplund's grandparents, Sarah and Lars, lost their battles with the disease. Lars passed one day after Asplund returned from Buffalo in 2016, when he was drafted 33rd overall by the Sabres. During their final visit together, Rasmus was able to show his grandfather the jersey in which he hoped to wear in the NHL. The family has since waited for him to receive this opportunity.

Tim Murray traded up to draft Asplund and was criticized. Perhaps he'll be vindicated.
It's only one game but he looked like he belonged in the NHL. It's a good article. Make sure you have javascript turned on so BN can tell if you've reached your quota.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

I remember the trade. I just don't remember anyone being mad or criticizing the trade.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I remember the trade. I just don't remember anyone being mad or criticizing the trade.

I remember people not liking that Pysyk was dealt but happy that they were able to get Asplund.

And with Kulikov getting hurt, that made people even more bitter about losing Pysyk.

But, I have rarely heard anyone upset about getting Asplund.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
The As(p) man.

:laugh:

uploads1549665725101-z.gif

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
When was Murray criticized for trading up for Asplund?
Well after the fact?

That trade was criticized quite a bit at the time. I think you’re forgetting how beloved Pysyk was with the analytics crowd and how reviled Kulikov was. The bigger picture complaints about gutting the defense were small initially but grew much louder over time.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That trade was criticized quite a bit at the time. I think you’re forgetting how beloved Pysyk was with the analytics crowd and how reviled Kulikov was. The bigger picture complaints about gutting the defense were small initially but grew much louder over time.

I recall the Kulikov-Pysyk part, it's the move up in the draft that didn't seem to bear up to being criticized.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I recall the Kulikov-Pysyk part, it's the move up in the draft that didn't seem to bear up to being criticized.
IIRC correctly the commentary about moving up was tied to the overall trade. As in Asplund better be worth sacrificing a team controlled dman (Pysyk) for an inferior one (Kulikov) with 1 year left on his deal.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

At the time people did not like the trade. It was one of the Murray moves I liked the most at the time, from a value standpoint. Kulikov getting hurt was unlucky.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
At the time people did not like the trade. It was one of the Murray moves I liked the most at the time, from a value standpoint. Kulikov getting hurt was unlucky.
I didn’t have much of a problem with it either. I generally take a wait and see approach when prospects are the focus or a big part of a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad