Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

kingofQueens

Jun 8, 2016
Queens, NY
Murray confirms they had Asplund as a "5", and a first round talent.

Whats interesting about that to me is he said Vesey is a 5. So really a great pick and really a great trade because I don't think Asplund would have been there at 38 (although I guess we'll never truly know that).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
IIRC it goes to 7

Your Crosbys and McDavids are 7s
6 would be projected as an elite top line player
5 is projected top 6 player

Something close to that anyway. Pretty sure it's a 7 scale

kingofQueens

Jun 8, 2016
Queens, NY
Asplund is my favorite 2nd round pick we've made in at least a decade.

At the time of the pick, I was really pumped about getting Lemieux. Also was happy about snagging Bailey with what, our third 2nd rounder that year? But Asplund is right up there with those guys for me.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Worst that the RLR scouting report (#37) had to say about Asplund is that he's an undersized distributor that doesn't initiate contact; rest was very favorable:
Undersized center has great hockey sense and makes smart decisions with and without the puck. Highly instinctive and creative playmaker with excellent passing touch -- anticipates when linemates will break to open ice. Effortless skater with quick feet, agility, and a top-end separation gear. Quick/soft hands, controls the puck and makes plays at top gear. Elusive in open ice, tough to contain both off the rush and in tight space. Gains the zone easily -- outstanding stickhandler with a variety of slick moves. Very responsible and versatile; can slide onto any line and perform well in any role. More distributor than finisher, but drives the net hard and will pick up his share of goals just being around scoring areas. Doesn't initiate contact, but plays in high traffic regularly and is willing to take hits to create scoring opportunities. Also willing to be first into corners for loose pucks.

Projection: Creative second line playmaking center on lesser team.
Style compares to: Jaden Schwartz

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Will be cool to see asplund reunited with nylander in a Sabres uni. Congrats on a great draft.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Asplund is my favorite 2nd round pick we've made in at least a decade.

I wanted him anywhere from 19 on. He transitions very well, and his a great first step when entering the zone. He plays a smart two way game and can be a value to any team. He's very smart, and uses his IQ. This is my favorite draft pick outside of the top 10 in a long long time as Jame stated. He was someone I was clamoring for!

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Worst that the RLR scouting report (#37) had to say about Asplund is that he's an undersized distributor that doesn't initiate contact; rest was very favorable:

I don't agree with that report. Well, that he is undersized is hard to dispute but he does not shy away from initiating contact. He is agressive for his size and takes the body when needed to and when the situation is right. He is very smart and playing on a big rink with the style of play that Färjestad has, a centerman does not forecheck as hard and therefore it might seem that he doesent initiate contact?

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Our Swedish friends are going to have translate these videos if you want to know what's said: http://www.hockeysverige.se/2016/06...-av-asplund-trodde-inte-han-skulle-vara-kvar/

Forsberg (scout) and Asplund both interviewed in Swedish.

I'm not gonna translate the interviews word by word. But to sum up:

Forsberg is saying that they thought Asplund was gonna go late in the first round, and when he didn't, they were excited and they didn't want to miss the opportunity so they traded up. They felt that he wouldn't still be there at 38. Says he likes his style of play and his competitivness. The reporter then asks if the fact that Asplund played so well with Nylander at the juniors had an impact on the decision. Forsberg says it didn't. It's purely a bonus that those guys know each other.

Regarding Philip Nyberg he's saying he's a big guy who's good on the skates, especially the first stride, and has a good shot. Says he's got a feeling that Nyberg is a late bloomer who will keep developing at a steady pace.

Finally he's got a couple of words on Olofsson who he thinks has developed well and took a step forward this season. He believes he can take another step next year with Frölunda and be a player who Buffalo will be interested in.

The Asplund interview isn't really that interesting. He's getting asked the obvious questions (how does it feel?) and gives the obvious answers (great). He says he had a good feeling when he met with the Sabres organization, it's been fun, great to get to keep going side by side with Nylander who he thinks is a nice guy and has good chemistry with. Says he needs to get bigger and stronger to get to the NHL. Nothing really noteworthy.

So that's that.

Also, Anders Forsberg walked in to a bar and the bartender asked "Why the long face?". ;)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'm not gonna translate the interviews word by word. But to sum up:

Forsberg is saying that they thought Asplund was gonna go late in the first round, and when he didn't, they were excited and they didn't want to miss the opportunity so they traded up. They felt that he wouldn't still be there at 38. Says he likes his style of play and his competitivness. The reporter then asks if the fact that Asplund played so well with Nylander at the juniors had an impact on the decision. Forsberg says it didn't. It's purely a bonus that those guys know each other.

Regarding Philip Nyberg he's saying he's a big guy who's good on the skates, especially the first stride, and has a good shot. Says he's got a feeling that Nyberg is a late bloomer who will keep developing at a steady pace.

Finally he's got a couple of words on Olofsson who he thinks has developed well and took a step forward this season. He believes he can take another step next year with Frölunda and be a player who Buffalo will be interested in.

The Asplund interview isn't really that interesting. He's getting asked the obvious questions (how does it feel?) and gives the obvious answers (great). He says he had a good feeling when he met with the Sabres organization, it's been fun, great to get to keep going side by side with Nylander who he thinks is a nice guy and has good chemistry with. Says he needs to get bigger and stronger to get to the NHL. Nothing really noteworthy.

So that's that.

Also, Anders Forsberg walked in to a bar and the bartender asked "Why the long face?". ;)
Thanks. I figured the Asplund one would be run-of-the-mill, but knew Forsberg could have something interesting to say about one of our Swedes.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Will he and Nylander be the top line/top offensive threat for Sweden at the WJC this year?

I think you can already lock them in on the top line. I hope Asplund can have a huge breakout year similar to Finland's Sebastian Aho last season, othrwise this Swedish team could be in some trouble offensively.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Will he and Nylander be the top line/top offensive threat for Sweden at the WJC this year?

I would think so. Nylander already was this year. Asplund became the top center after William Nylander, who won't be there, was injured. I don't see anyone obvious on the horizon who would supplant him. This was a pretty weak draft for the Swedes with Nylander and Asplund being the top two names. I could see Dahlen having a big season, jumping up the board, but probably not to the point of supplanting one of those two.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I would think so. Nylander already was this year. Asplund became the top center after William Nylander, who won't be there, was injured. I don't see anyone obvious on the horizon who would supplant him. This was a pretty weak draft for the Swedes with Nylander and Asplund being the top two names. I could see Dahlen having a big season, jumping up the board, but probably not to the point of supplanting one of those two.

Wasn't it Alex who hurt his knee, and not William?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad