Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Very impressed with Rasmus's game today. He was all over the ice, added an assist and won 15 of 17 draws. Craig Button mentioned him with praise multiple times throughout the 3rd period. Very happy with this 2nd round pick.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
It really blows my mind that this is the first time Asplund is being mentioned this year. The kid was Swedens best player last night in the 8-3 victory over Solvakia. 4 assists ! 7 points in 5 games. Solid move by Murray and if Kulikov becomes a 2nd at the trade deadline we easily win the trade .

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
It really blows my mind that this is the first time Asplund is being mentioned this year. The kid was Swedens best player last night in the 8-3 victory over Solvakia. 4 assists ! 7 points in 5 games. Solid move by Murray and if Kulikov becomes a 2nd at the trade deadline we easily win the trade .

Well it's only the 2nd day of the year :laugh:

Yeah he looks like a composed player already at his age.

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
really hope he pans out so i dont have to listen to all the Pysyk trade anger

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
What is he currently projecting at? TOP-9? When do you guys think he'll be ready for the Sabres if he makes it?

I'd say he's a couple more seasons out. I'd like to see him in Rochester next year or the year after, though I'm not familiar with his contract situation. As for projection, hopefully a strong "middle six" type of player who can move around the line-up.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
What is he currently projecting at? TOP-9? When do you guys think he'll be ready for the Sabres if he makes it?

In my honest opinion, if he continues to trend the way he is...he is a better version of Larsson in every aspect (big IF). His game is best suited as being a tenacious 3rd line center...and a very good one at that.

You can think of him similar to ROR's game but not quite the offensive skill set yet...but he's definitely trending the right way.

I do NOT see him as a winger...he's one of the players that this team will need in deep playoff runs in a few seasons as our shutdown 3rd line center.

With that being said, I'd like to see him in Roc next season...and possibly with Buffalo the season after. It's going to be very telling how he transitions to the north american game when he's in roch. I'm not sure what his contract status is like the above post, but he's a very good prospect for us.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
In my honest opinion, if he continues to trend the way he is...he is a better version of Larsson in every aspect (big IF). His game is best suited as being a tenacious 3rd line center...and a very good one at that.

You can think of him similar to ROR's game but not quite the offensive skill set yet...but he's definitely trending the right way.

I do NOT see him as a winger...he's one of the players that this team will need in deep playoff runs in a few seasons as our shutdown 3rd line center.

With that being said, I'd like to see him in Roc next season...and possibly with Buffalo the season after. It's going to be very telling how he transitions to the north american game when he's in roch. I'm not sure what his contract status is like the above post, but he's a very good prospect for us.

Actually, high end potential I see him as a faster version of O'Reilly.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'd say he's a couple more seasons out. I'd like to see him in Rochester next year or the year after, though I'm not familiar with his contract situation. As for projection, hopefully a strong "middle six" type of player who can move around the line-up.

He's got another year. Rochester (or Buffalo) in 2018 is the projection.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
So, I watched Asplunds last four games of the season. He'd be a good player in the AHL by now, in the SHL I'd say he should be a middle six player. The team he's playing for is downright terrible though and he was put on the first line in the last game.

I really looked foward to watch him in the playoffs since really good performance in the post season normally means good NHL capabilities but the team was so bad that it was hard to make any judgement. The defenders literally could not get the puck out of their own zone during two of the games, it was like watching the SHL version of the Buffalo defense (with Nygren being the equalient to Ristolainen).

When he had the puck he made some smart plays at least.

Buffalo should sign him as soon as possible, he should be in Rochester. If he stays in Sweden he should be on another team but I doubt he would like that since he's been playing for Färjestad for 6 years.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - Season over for Rasmus Asplund as Farjestad falls to HV 71 3-2, gets swept in SHL QF. #Sabres

@SabresProspects - If I'm Sabres, I let Asplund decompress, rest his bumps and bruises. Talk future plans/contract over summer.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Actually, high end potential I see him as a faster version of O'Reilly.

O'Reilly played in the NHL right out of the draft, so that would already make Asplund really really really far behind your lofty expectations. To me he looks like a carbon copy of Larsson without the bulldog frame.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
O'Reilly played in the NHL right out of the draft, so that would already make Asplund really really really far behind your lofty expectations. To me he looks like a carbon copy of Larsson without the bulldog frame.

That's exactly the way I see him as well...I can't get behind the huge expectations or excitement he generates around here. To me, there's room for Larsson or Asplund on the roster.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
There was some talk earlier this season that Asplund might be ready to head to North America, but it appears not based on this:

I think that has more to do with the recent push by Swedish Hockey officials to keep NHL prospects in Sweden instead of bringing them to the A than it does with his readiness.

A little disappointing, but if this is best for his development, then who am I to argue?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I wish he was coming over to center the top line in Rochester, and could potentially get a call up. But shouldn't be an issue in terms of his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->