Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That is intriguing. You guys have me excited for him!

Do you think his defensive game is ready for the NHL? If so, I feel that he could be on the team next year. He doesn't need to replace Larsson, but can come up and play with him for now, until his offensive game is ready for Top 9 minutes.
I think he definitely could and wouldnt look out of place, but as others have mentioned, it might be best to continue to develop his offense & confidence in Rochester as 1C for at least part of next season and see what develops there. All of the little things have always been there, but if he can put the offense together too, we'll have a nice two-way middle 6 C on our hands.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If he can be ROR-lite at center than we are going to be strong everywhere.

I dont think Mitts is the answer at center and will better his game on the wing.

I think Mitts will be a decent center. Just needs the right coaching and patience. If he was in Rochester he would be in a much better place, not only statistically, but development as well and HE would be the one that we would want to see called up first. Just watching Rochester this weekend (thanks to the poster that streamed them), it's very tough for someone to look at how they play and attack the game, and not think Tage and Casey would be better off down there. They actually show that they understand to play the puck forward to allow their guys to skate into the puck. They lead their teammates to passes and holes on the ice. And because of that, they are able to play the game at a fast pace.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think Mitts will be a decent center. Just needs the right coaching and patience. If he was in Rochester he would be in a much better place, not only statistically, but development as well and HE would be the one that we would want to see called up first. Just watching Rochester this weekend (thanks to the poster that streamed them), it's very tough for someone to look at how they play and attack the game, and not think Tage and Casey would be better off down there. They actually show that they understand to play the puck forward to allow their guys to skate into the puck. They lead their teammates to passes and holes on the ice. And because of that, they are able to play the game at a fast pace.
of course both would be better off down in the AHL, I dont think anyone would disagree with that.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
of course both would be better off down in the AHL, I dont think anyone would disagree with that.

Unfortunately, there is one person that disagrees with that, and he's in charge of those type of decisions.

But I was saying that they would fit down there BECAUSE of the game they play. Casey's strength would be sharpened down in Rochester because of the game they play, and Tage's development would include making quick short passes to push the play, which is a major weakness of his.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Asplund is a goner. He is a Murray guy and Bobblehead hates him those Murray guys. :sarcasm:

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I've been saying all season that I think we've already got our 2 and 3 C in the system, it's just gonna take a little time.
If we could get a Cody Eakin type of C on the cheap, I would feel much better heading into camp. Eakin only has one year left on his contract and might be a Cody Glass casualty.
I’d pony up a 3rd and let Alex Turcotte marinate for a few seasons.

Reactions: Sabreality

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Someone’s development curve is trending in exactly the right direction. 17 points in his last 14 games? PK, PP, scoring… Play making… Responsible defensively. He’s making progress.

IMO, he's next year's #1 Center for Rochester. The constant improvement through the year has me confident he's ready for that.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

If they gain 20 lbs muscle mass and mitts builds upper body to be stronger on the puck our constant suffering may end with a talented power forward and a talented center with a years’ worth of reps.. Dahlin will simply do it and hopefully work on his only deficiency, his shot.. It’s hard to think optimistically with this soulless finish and Skinner unsigned but.... All three show a real upside.. even Pilut and Nylander have learned they need more strength focus and attention to detail in this league..

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - The Sabres have to make a decision in June if they’re going to give qualifying offers to Johan Larsson and Zemgus Girgensons. They’ve already signed European free agent center Arttu Ruotsalainen and have Rasmus Asplund down in Rochester.

Asplund had a rough start to his first professional season in North America. He's 21 and had played three years in the SHL before coming to Rochester.

The center had no goals and one assist in his first 16 games with the Amerks. When the Sabres moved up to get Asplund in the second round of the 2016 NHL Draft, they talked about what a smart player he was. That came through as Asplund found his game and had 10 goals and 31 assists for 41 points in 75 games. Asplund said there were many factors that helped him get better, “I think I really learned how to play my game at a really high pace. I think that was the one thing I was struggling with a little bit, but the longer the year went, I think I got more and more used to it and got comfortable doing things at a high speed.”

After playing on the larger ice in Europe, players like Asplund, Victor Olofsson and Lawrence Pilut had to get used to having less time to make plays. Asplund said, “I wouldn’t say it was hard, you had to take some time to get used to it like how certain players react in certain situations, so I just had to be a little patient with getting used to it.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->