Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems to be meshing well with Olofsson lately. Great to see.

Edit: O’Regan has been the other member of the line. They have been great.

Yeah, that’s been in the trio for a while and they’ve been effective. It’s just nice that he’s getting on the score sheet regularly now.

Reactions: joshjull

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Seems to be meshing well with Olofsson lately. Great to see.

Edit: O’Regan has been the other member of the line. They have been great.

Rather have that whole line on the Sabres intact. With Pilut and Borgen as as a unit. Let Taylor coach them by headset.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Love seeing the offense start to come for him. As shoddy as the Sabres' C depth is this season, I'm still very optimistic that Mitts and Asplund will help fix that up over the next year or 2.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Looking good to make the team next year

I don't know whether to argue with you, or cry that a forward in this organization is "looking good to make the team next year" when he has 29 pts in 61 games. He does a bunch of things well, but he could definitely grow his game for another year in the A.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't know whether to argue with you, or cry that a forward in this organization is "looking good to make the team next year" when he has 29 pts in 61 games. He does a bunch of things well, but he could definitely grow his game for another year in the A.

He's setting himself up really nicely to take over #1 center duties on Rochester. The one positive sign has the been the constant incremental improvement in his overall game. I was someone that thought he was our best player in training camp by far. But still wanted to see him sent down (just like Mittelstadt). I think he's going to be more special than anybody realizes right now.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
For people that have watched him play more, who is an NHL comparable for Asplund?
I've always seen some ROR-lite qualities to his game even in his jr days as far as play away from the puck, takeaway ability & IQ goes, not sure if the offense will near RORs. Also some Larry type grit to his game, always on his guys hip, being annoying with the ability to get under opponents skin.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
He's setting himself up really nicely to take over #1 center duties on Rochester. The one positive sign has the been the constant incremental improvement in his overall game. I was someone that thought he was our best player in training camp by far. But still wanted to see him sent down (just like Mittelstadt). I think he's going to be more special than anybody realizes right now.
That's a glowing review, what is your opinion on his NHL ceiling?

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Some players need their head to catch up with their feet. Asplund needed his feet to catch up with his head. Don’t get me wrong he’s always been an above average skater, but he’s learning to keep his feet moving at all times. And yes I think that’s something you can learn. The Chris Drury mentality of never going 100% but never going 60%. That smooth 85% every shift. You can tell what kind of impact Asplund is going to make on a given night by watching his feet. There haven’t been many nights recently where he hasn’t been one of the best forwards on the ice. He’s learning that his skating is a weapon and he’s talented enough to make some of these AHL d-man look pretty silly. The swagger is coming.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I've always seen some ROR-lite qualities to his game even in his jr days as far as play away from the puck, takeaway ability & IQ goes, not sure if the offense will near RORs. Also some Larry type grit to his game, always on his guys hip, being annoying with the ability to get under opponents skin.
That is intriguing. You guys have me excited for him!

Do you think his defensive game is ready for the NHL? If so, I feel that he could be on the team next year. He doesn't need to replace Larsson, but can come up and play with him for now, until his offensive game is ready for Top 9 minutes.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
My original timeline for him was to come up midway through next year but if he produces at near a ppg clip from here on out and the playoffs it will be hard to keep him off the opening night roster given the state of our center depth. I would very much like to acquire a third/second line tweener that could handle hard matchups and allow him to break in on a 4th line that is less matchup oriented.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
That's a glowing review, what is your opinion on his NHL ceiling?

If he reached his full potential, I believe he's a 1st line utility player. The guy that makes the line cohesive. I find it funny Revelate mentioned him, but I could see him having a Chris Drury level of play. He may not be as clutch, but I think just as complete of a player. If he wasn't in Buffalo's system, I would surely venture a guess he would be one of Tampa's or Boston's best prospects.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If he can be ROR-lite at center than we are going to be strong everywhere.

I dont think Mitts is the answer at center and will better his game on the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->