Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Right, I can see him getting 30-40 points and 10+ goals this season. He is the type of player that should have a relatively easy transition to the big league.

He is the best hope at eventually be the two-way guy that can shut opposition down. Dare we hope, the spiritual successor to Peca.

I always thought a better Curtis Brown than a Peca.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Would anyone have reservations starting Asplund in Buffalo in a bottom-six role?

As of today, he's making my opening-night roster. I don't think "working on his offense in the AHL" is a necessary developmental step for him. This isn't a Girgensons situation -- Asplund has played pro hockey for four years. I think allowing him to jump right into the NHL is the appropriate next step for him (provided he's earned the job, which, based on his play thus far, I believe he has).

The AHL is only a marginally better league than the SHL. This player is ready for the next challenge developmentally. The bonus is that he'd upgrade our bottom six significantly.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Asplund came up big in the Amerks game today with a goal and an assist. His first goal of the year, hopefully the first of many.

I haven't watched the Amerks games at all but his stat-line has certainly been a disappointment considering how good he looked in camp. How has he been used and how has been playing overall? I'm a fan and was expecting him to tear up the AHL after he got demoted....

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I haven't watched the Amerks games at all but his stat-line has certainly been a disappointment considering how good he looked in camp. How has he been used and how has been playing overall? I'm a fan and was expecting him to tear up the AHL after he got demoted....

He's plays on the lower end of a seriously stacked depth chart. He may not be putting up the points but if you watch him play you'll be impressed. Best NHL comparison I would say is E-Rod, doesn't put up a ton of points but his hustle and play making ability makes him stand out regardless.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Big showing for Asplund tonight. He had 3 assists. After a very slow start to the season he's now had 6 points in the last six games, 4 of them in the last 3. Still don't expect him to see NHL ice anytime soon but it's promising that he's been able to turn it around.

Reactions: Rasmi

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Kicking myself because I was going to post a few games ago that the way he was playing I expected to see him have a big uptick in production and really take off in the second half. Now I’m too late because it started lol.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Big showing for Asplund tonight. He had 3 assists. After a very slow start to the season he's now had 6 points in the last six games, 4 of them in the last 3. Still don't expect him to see NHL ice anytime soon but it's promising that he's been able to turn it around.

Knew he'd figure it out eventually. He's gonna be a player.

Reactions: Reddawg

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
1-7-8 in his last 8 games. It certainly helps that he's riding with Olofsson on his wing, but production is production.
I think he was the Amerks best player on Wed. He should be up with the big boys next year at the latest.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I think he was the Amerks best player on Wed. He should be up with the big boys next year at the latest.
Not from what I've seen. He'll need another full season in the AHL imo. While he shows some promise with his defensive game, specifically his back checking, his stick work needs time, his offensive zone work isn't even streaky. He has a real problem maintaining control of the puck, he hesitates on decisions once he gets it which way more often than not leads to turn overs and he's being mauled physically most games.

What I do like about him is his skating and his motor. He doesn't quit.
But he's not remotely ready for the NHL, and next season I more than suspect he'll be in Rochester again trying to tweak and hone the skills necessary while putting on some muscle.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Not from what I've seen. He'll need another full season in the AHL imo. While he shows some promise with his defensive game, specifically his back checking, his stick work needs time, his offensive zone work isn't even streaky. He has a real problem maintaining control of the puck, he hesitates on decisions once he gets it which way more often than not leads to turn overs and he's being mauled physically most games.

What I do like about him is his skating and his motor. He doesn't quit.
But he's not remotely ready for the NHL, and next season I more than suspect he'll be in Rochester again trying to tweak and hone the skills necessary while putting on some muscle.

Darn. Too bad he doesn't have 3/4th of a season to work on that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if they stay together and that is our 3rd line next year:

ORegan - Asplund - Olofsson

Flip the wingers around. VO is the left wing, Danny is the right wing. And at the end of the day they’ll probably let Oregan walk even if he is a workmanlike, competitive, up and down the ice player. They haven’t given him opportunity even when he’s played well in Rochester, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him jump ship and go to the DEL.

Reactions: Mitts888

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Watched a few Amercs games recently and Asplund just reminds me of a workers bee.
Someone willing to work hard put in the time to get better.

keithLGA

Jun 2, 2009
Rochester, NY
www.letsgoamerks.com
I wonder if they stay together and that is our 3rd line next year:

ORegan - Asplund - Olofsson
Good chance O'Regan is gone next season. Doubtful he's in the Sabres plans, doubtful they'll pay him well enough to stay in the AHL. Overseas is the most likely scenario unless another NHL team spots interest. I'd love to be wrong about all of that!

Reactions: Chainshot

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
A beautiful snipe, a grimy goal in front and missed a tap in...coulda had an easy hatty

Big night for Asplund

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I love this kid, he’ll be pushing hard for a spot next year. I really hate the thought of losing him in expansion though, now that Guhle is gone it’s just Asplund...or someone from the main roster, or Botts plays Lets Make a Deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad