Rasmus Andersson vs Ethan Bear

Who do you take now and in the future?

• Total voters

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Went with Bear because he's been as good as Andersson this year in a less sheltered role, and he's doing it at 8 months younger with very little NHL experience. I wouldn't have expected this a year ago, but Bear made massive improvements over the last 6 months especially in his skating. Either choice is fair as both are good young D.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hyperbole aside good poll. Both are legit (not just circumstantial) top 4 defenders today.

I question the ultimate upside on both of them a bit (even compared to some peers on their own teams - Valimaki, Bouchard, Broberg etc) but some of that may be due to a built in bias towards high 1st round picks. There’s probably some variation of the world where in 5 years, the two guys in this poll just keep getting better and are top pairing stalwarts and we have a good chuckle that we once considered the guys who were higher picks the “better” players/prospects. Probably not likely but not totally unbelievable either with the way these two have developed.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I know it's very unusual for the Oilers to get players after the top 10 or to develop good defenders, and I also know that Oilers fans like to crow and parade around 10 games in to every season, but Andersson is better than Bear right now by every measure.

VtTtcmL.png

Bear is the Oilers' best defender and my favourite player on the Oilers, but he's not better than Andersson now, and they're pretty much the same age

Except he’s not better than Bear by every metric.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
That 2015 draft is stacked with D. Flames also drafted Kylington and Oilers drafted Jones also who should be a regular... along with Marino (on Pens now).

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Except he’s not better than Bear by every metric.
yeah, that's a weird post.

i still voted andersson (i think there's a little bit of hype right now with bear just getting into the league), but they are pretty close by those metrics and from what i've seen on the ice

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Good poll.

Andersson has the better sample size in my opinion. He’s been good even when the Flames are bad.

I am curious to see how Bear looks when the Oilers have some adversity.

Both are very good young players. Pretty close for me. Personally I need to see more of Bear before I have a strong opinion either way.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I know it's very unusual for the Oilers to get players after the top 10 or to develop good defenders, and I also know that Oilers fans like to crow and parade around 10 games in to every season, but Andersson is better than Bear right now by every measure.

VtTtcmL.png

Bear is the Oilers' best defender and my favourite player on the Oilers, but he's not better than Andersson now, and they're pretty much the same age

"Better than Bear by every measure" then links graphs where Bear is better in 2 of the 5 categories haha.

Here's their charts now:
0224e624603c13f451ffe9ac43a9948f.png

Bear has a better xGA/60(2.21 vs 2.41), so I'm not sure how that's weighted for Andersson to end up better on the chart.

Also, despite Andersson's big lead in CF/60, he's actually trailing Bear in both SCF/60 and HDCF/60, so a large chunk of that CF/60 is low danger shots.

Basically Bear is better in all five categories while playing close to 2.5 more minutes of even strength per game with harder zone starts and against tougher competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFlyingV

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
That 2015 draft is stacked with D. Flames also drafted Kylington and Oilers drafted Jones also who should be a regular... along with Marino (on Pens now).

Remember the Flames traded their first pick in that draft for Hamilton and still got Andersson and Kylington.

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Remember the Flames traded their first pick in that draft for Hamilton and still got Andersson and Kylington.

And Oilers traded their 2015 mid 1st for Griffin "Isles draft 1st round busts" Reinhart. Ugh. At least Chia then drafted Bear, Jones, Marino.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I said Bear now, Andersson future. Brodie has been the top pairing RD and has not allowed Andersson to fully take the top pairing role quite yet. Though, Andersson has been logging in the minutes as of late with Hanifin. Those two are a great pairing.

Doesn't matter how the poll goes, both players I feel are going to be the #1 RD's for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->