Rarely used shot, I believe

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
English is not my native language, so excuse me if the following is not clear.

Sometimes we see players using a slapshot that gives a special to the puck. Instead of going in linear way to the goalie, the puck initially goes linearly, but dramatically drops height extremely fast. Now, supposing you know what I'm talking about, do you think it can be done with a ball? The ball is too light, I guess. Otherwise, is there any other way to give other special effects to the ball? Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert Paulson*

The ball always seems to curve when it's shot hard enough. As a goalie in a ball league, I can account first hand for some wacky curves on hard shots. And yes, I have seen some guys that can make the ball drop in height dramatically. A lot of times, those shots seem like they'll go way over the net, but end up dropping down under the crossbar.

Now, I don't really know how one can put specific curves on shots, so I guess I'm not too much help. :)

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
The ball always seems to curve when it's shot hard enough. As a goalie in a ball league, I can account first hand for some wacky curves on hard shots. And yes, I have seen some guys that can make the ball drop in height dramatically. A lot of times, those shots seem like they'll go way over the net, but end up dropping down under the crossbar.

Now, I don't really know how one can put specific curves on shots, so I guess I'm not too much help. :)

You are of some help because I know now that it IS possible to volunteerly curve the ball. I just need to keep searching. "Search and you wil find", said somebody.:innocent:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

I don't like to take slapshots often with balls but I can make it curve like you said...My friend can do it very well. Truth is, I don't really know if there is a specific way to do it...If I just hit it hard enough it'll curve. I can also make the ball drop but again, I'm not sure exactly what it is I do. It just happens...I visualize and it happens...I wish I could say what I do differently but I have no clue.

It's the same with basically everything I do in hockey...My brain shuts off and my instincts take over. I visualize doing something, like shooting it somewhere or passing it to someone and my body does what it needs to do to make it happen. Some of my teammates joke that I'm some sort of hockey prodigy/idiot-savant. I don't know WHAT I'm doing but whatever it is, it works.

Asking my how I make my shots curve or drop is like asking me how I walk. It's just natural to me.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
My shot with a ball never curved until i started playing with a puck. I started pulling a little bit on my shot to put spin on the puck so it would lay flat creating a harder shot.

Once I went back to ball hockey it was like I was Phil Niekro!! It's all about the spin.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
Putting a topspin on the ball would make it drop but I don't know how to do it. I think it might be easier with a wrist shot than a slapper because the ball stays on your blade longer. :dunno:

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I played ball hockey about 10 years ago and I was able to make it curve to the right by turning my wrists on slapshots. One of my team mates could curve the ball into the net from behind the goal line. You have to put a spin on the ball.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I played ball hockey about 10 years ago and I was able to make it curve to the right by turning my wrists on slapshots. One of my team mates could curve the ball into the net from behind the goal line. You have to put a spin on the ball.

My friend can do this as well.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
Putting a topspin on the ball would make it drop but I don't know how to do it. I think it might be easier with a wrist shot than a slapper because the ball stays on your blade longer. :dunno:
If you've played tennis much you should be able to do it. Basically you want to pull the blade of the stick up at the last second so that the ball ends up "rolling" towards the net. Topspin occurs when the top of the ball is moving towards the net and the bottom of the ball is moving away.

Turning your wrists over as you follow through might help; I don't currently play roller or ball hockey, though, so I can't check that. ;)

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
actually, me and my buddy had this game where we'd both be on opposite ends of a rink (cement) and would each try and take slap shots into the other net...given enough distance the ball will curve a ridiculous amount...coming off a curved blade creates a reverse spin that brings the ball from left to right (if you're a lefty)

by the end we were aiming for the opposite corners of the rink and curling them in top-corner of the net... plus a few curled hard enough that i got to nail my buddy in the chest, it was a fun time!

wait, that sounded really gay:help:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
actually, me and my buddy had this game where we'd both be on opposite ends of a rink (cement) and would each try and take slap shots into the other net...given enough distance the ball will curve a ridiculous amount...coming off a curved blade creates a reverse spin that brings the ball from left to right (if you're a lefty)

by the end we were aiming for the opposite corners of the rink and curling them in top-corner of the net... plus a few curled hard enough that i got to nail my buddy in the chest, it was a fun time!

wait, that sounded really gay:help:

Ahh I've played that too! We also play a similar game except the point is to try and deflect it into the net from a slapshot across the rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad