Rare and interesting old-time Colorado Avalanche (and Eurolanche) stories

EurolancheDavid

Guys, we have new series on Eurolanche.com about what title says. I will share with you some of them here and I will welcome your own pieces too!

Background of the series: This season, the Eurolanche Fan Club entered its 10th season in existence and will celebrate its 10th anniversary on August 12, 2017. On this occasion, we will be publishing a special series of articles about the Fan Club’s history, about your typical European NHL fan before Eurolanche came to be and other interesting topics that weren’t previously published. All of these articles will also be published in the coming book about Eurolanche (which will be available in both Slovak and English), which will be published in late 2017. Various memorabilia and more surprises will be part of Eurolanche’s big anniversary meeting in the High Tatras in August. Every participant will receive Avalanche merchandise and player autographs for free.

Frantisek Skladany Story

Season 2005/06 was nothing but a nice for all Colorado Avalanche fans from Slovakia. Their countryman, a goalie Peter Budaj made his NHL debut and appeared in 34 games. Marek Svatos found his stable place on the roster and collected 50 points for 32 goals and 18 assists in just 61 games. Only few fans – if anyone – can remember on the third Slovak player who almost joined Peter and Marek. Forward Frantisek Skladany was drafted by the Avalanche in 2001 of 143rd overall place. As a few Slovakians, he played in NCAA for Boston University and we can guess he also graduated there. He played for the Avalanche then-affiliate, Hershey Bears of the AHL. In mentioned 2005/06 season, he was called up to the NHL – for the first and for the last time. His big dream almost made come true in January 2006. Unfortunately, he was sent back to the AHL (new affiliate in Lowell) after few games in the crowd as a healthy scratch. He finished his season in the AHL and then come back to Europe where he has been since. Frantisek spent majority of his pro career in the Czech league (won the league one time) and he played some games in Russia, Belarus and Slovakia as well. Back in 2006, I used to cut all stories regarding the Avalanche and especially their newly loved and discovered Slovak players from the Slovak and Czech newspapers and I paste them to special books. I will talk about these books later in this article series. One of those stories was about Frantisek’s call up. It was printed by the biggest Slovak newspaper called ‘Novy Cas‘. Frantisek said there: „It really surprised me! I hope I get on the ice for the game soon. I hope the team will play well. I was called up from Lowell due Brad May’s injury. They need to replace him. I want to use of this opportunity and stay there as the longest as is possible.“ Interesting fact is that an author of this story and a photo is a Czech-American guy named Josef Cafourek who has been living in Denver for decades and is in the crowd for every single Avs game. He cooperates with various Slovak and Czech media.

frantisek_skladany_colorado.JPG

Yeti Ultras Fan Club

Do you know what Eurolanche's original name was supposed to be? Yeti Ultras. I'm not joking. It was the first suggestion from one of the first Eurolanche members – the fan club didn't even have its name during its early hours of existence. I founded Eurolanche on August 12th, 2007. I chose its current name from other fans suggestions on the next day. Unfortunately, I don’t remember who the original author of the name is – the same with the logo’s author released in September 2007. Fortunately, the Yeti Ultras name didn’t make it. During the first months, we used to stylize Eurolanche as EuroLanche. The change to stick with Eurolanche came later on. The first logo wasn’t a very good or detailed copy of the Colorado Avalanche logo. We switched to a high-quality one in 2012. You will be able to read similar stories from the past like this in the coming book about Eurolanche, which will also be available in English, in late 2017. I will also publish my old text, which was virtually an announcement of the founding of a new fan club.

eurolanche_old_logo.png

Three must-have books for every NHL-kid growing up in Europe in 90s

Today, I take a look back on three books, which had played a major role in the lives of every NHL fan growing up in Europe in the 90’s. “Hviezdy NHL†(translated as “The Stars of the NHL) introduced me to the real NHL stars of their era and future Hall of Famers. A sticker album was also a must-have for every European NHL fan. I noticed that they printed new editions every season after noticing them in newsstands, but this one, from the 1998/99 season, will always be special to me. Last but not least, the third book “Počítajme s NHL†(translated as Counting with the NHL) was a great guide to the rules of the NHL for children. I have to say that I left out one very important piece – my first EA Sports NHL game, which was NHL 2000 for the original PlayStation. That being said, it's not a tragedy, as I owned an illegal copy without the nice original cover art. As many kids at that time, my PlayStation had a special illegal chip in order to play illegally-burned copies of games.

eurolanche_anniversary_series.JPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad