Raptors Discussion: Raptors name Nick Nurse as new head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What happened to those picks we got in the past 2-3-4 yrs? Didn’t we get picks in Bargnani trade?

I guess I haven’t been following closely.

Where did all our picks go?

Became Poeltl and cash essentially. Used one of the picks to dump Novak, who was a salary dump in the Bargnani trade. The other was to select someone who was traded right away for cash.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What happened to those picks we got in the past 2-3-4 yrs? Didn’t we get picks in Bargnani trade?

I guess I haven’t been following closely.

Where did all our picks go?

It was a first and two seconds. The first turned into Poeltl, one second was packaged with Novak for a waived contract (Diante Garrett), and the other second was traded for cash.

edit: guess I should've refreshed

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Draft picks are extremely valuable these days especially with the inflated contracts that get dished out
Let your scouts do their job

Well there's two values there. One is to actually supplement your roster if you have an untradeable player. The other is to actually use it to get rid of dead salary. Raptors haven't been the only ones to take the latter scenario.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Well there's two values there. One is to actually supplement your roster if you have an untradeable player. The other is to actually use it to get rid of dead salary. Raptors haven't been the only ones to take the latter scenario.

It happens. Very few good/great organizations have done it though

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We have a playoff calibre team with some good young talent as well. The work our GM has done is great, and needs to be continued.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'd have no problem with this if we were championship contenders
Instead we have a maxed out roster, no draft picks that got swept in back to back seasons in the 2nd round
Our best player is 32 and our 2nd best player is 29 soon
I mean, we ARE championship contenders. Eastern Conference champs & b2b2b2b playoff appearances including a conference finals. If you don't consider us contenders its not because of Masai its because you believe (as many do) that there are really only 2 teams in contention GSW & Team Lebron.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I mean, we ARE championship contenders. Eastern Conference champs & b2b2b2b playoff appearances including a conference finals. If you don't consider us contenders its not because of Masai its because you believe (as many do) that there are really only 2 teams in contention GSW & Team Lebron.

Clearly the NBA has 28 awful GMs, 1 good one, and 1 figurehead for LeBron. I mean, dur. :sarcasm:

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios

Your first and last sentences contradict each other
Team LeBron was so great that he barely snuck by a Celtics team without their 2 best players (Irving and Hayward) in 7 games
Team LeBron was so great that he barely beat a "weaker" Pacers team in 7 games
GSW is so unbeatable that they barely beat a Rockets' in 7 games with CP3 missing game 6 and 7

Meanwhile, the greatest Raptors team in franchise history couldn't even win 1 game.

Just seems like excuses to me

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Nobody.
Masai had to cover up his mistake of locking up DeMarre Carroll to 4 years, 58 million by attaching a 1st round pick to unload him

What kind of f*** tard fires the coach and has this much salary tied up in a mediocre team with no picks..

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Your first and last sentences contradict each other
Team LeBron was so great that he barely snuck by a Celtics team without their 2 best players (Irving and Hayward) in 7 games
Team LeBron was so great that he barely beat a "weaker" Pacers team in 7 games
GSW is so unbeatable that they barely beat a Rockets' in 7 games with CP3 missing game 6 and 7

Meanwhile, the greatest Raptors team in franchise history couldn't even win 1 game.

Just seems like excuses to me
I just don't believe you throw away 88 games worth of success over a poor series performance. The reality is the roster as constructed is probably the 5th-7th best team in the league and a virtual lock for home court advantage in the playoffs once again. There are 20 GMs that are desperately trying to get to a point that they can say that.

Yes would I like to see Masai find a way to make additions to this roster, but I don't think you can blame Masai in anyway for what he's built like you did in your previous post

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
What kind of **** tard fires the coach and has this much salary tied up in a mediocre team with no picks..

Our GM knows he has little flexibility with this roster so he has to resort to firing the coach to show that he's doing something

He's actually trying to unload Norman Powell's dreadful contract that he signed 8 months ago so he can create some flexibility to lock up FVV long-term.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Our GM knows he has little flexibility with this roster so he has to resort to firing the coach to show that he's doing something

He's actually trying to unload Norman Powell's dreadful contract that he signed 8 months ago so he can create some flexibility to lock up FVV long-term.

If I look at the roster right now, I don't think the Powell deal was the worst move (not great though), I think it's Ibaka's presence & contract. For the first couple years of success we all agreed that they needed to create a Big 3 with Kyle and Demar. "Settling" for Ibaka as the solution was the wrong move, I didn't like it much then but was hopeful I was wrong.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I just don't believe you throw away 88 games worth of success over a poor series performance. The reality is the roster as constructed is probably the 5th-7th best team in the league and a virtual lock for home court advantage in the playoffs once again. There are 20 GMs that are desperately trying to get to a point that they can say that.

Yes would I like to see Masai find a way to make additions to this roster, but I don't think you can blame Masai in anyway for what he's built like you did in your previous post

Well Masai has made plenty of mistakes so he does deserve blame

This is not an anomaly though. 3 years ago, we got swept by the Wizards, 2 years ago we took Cleveland to 6 but keep it mind we got obliterated in our 4 losses, and we've now been swept in back to back seasons.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
If I look at the roster right now, I don't think the Powell deal was the worst move (not great though), I think it's Ibaka's presence & contract. For the first couple years of success we all agreed that they needed to create a Big 3 with Kyle and Demar. "Settling" for Ibaka as the solution was the wrong move, I didn't like it much then but was hopeful I was wrong.

I agree with that. I think the Powell deal is bad but the Ibaka deal is ugly. I can't see us unloading Ibaka without having to attach a draft pick or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad