Confirmed with Link: Raphaël Lavoie loaned to Vasby IK of the Allsvenskan *UPDATE*

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
awesome....glad they found a spot for him to play
very valuable prospect

It will be interesting to see how he does in the SHL as a draft+2 guy. He is really the only guy in the system that has the potential for a top-6 winger spot in the next couple of years (albeit a remote chance IMO). We need him to work out rather badly.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
awesome....glad they found a spot for him to play
very valuable prospect

Him and Bouchard top my list of exciting prospects that I love. Big bonus for the team if they both become NHL regulars considering their position. I adored the way Rapha played at the WJC even though his point totals were lacking. Super solid.

Reactions: Aerchon

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Athletic had a really good article about this today.

Some minor snippets as it’s behind a paywall and I don’t want to infringe on any copyright but this is for fair commenting:

““I’m super excited. I wanna get things started. It’s gonna be a nice adventure,” Lavoie said in a recent interview with The Athletic. “I’m curious to see what life holds for me.”
Will other younger Canadian and American players follow suit?
“At this point, I haven’t considered that option,” one agent with a younger client list told The Athletic. “I would certainly entertain it if the NHL clubs are for it.”
“I still think there’s going to be even more opportunity to come with teams looking to place prospects over in Europe,” Rogle BK GM Chris Abbott said.”

Pretty interesting article overall. Good for Lavoie and it seems like Holland is really trying to get guys who otherwise might be AHL bound over to Europe. Looks like Rodrigue is rumoured to be heading to the Austrian league based on comments in the article. It’s the right decision with everything happening in the USA right now. Get young prospects where they can play and where there’s more stability towards the future. The USA is a disaster right now on so many levels, it’s the right move now and into the future to have more prospects in Europe if they can’t play in the CHL.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Him and Bouchard top my list of exciting prospects that I love. Big bonus for the team if they both become NHL regulars considering their position. I adored the way Rapha played at the WJC even though his point totals were lacking. Super solid.

Me and you both.

Gave a do anything for the team vibe. Looked strong in a lesser role. Bodes well for making the nhl in some capacity.

Bouchard... I still don't understand how everyone isn't crazy excited about this prospect. Unbiasedly called the best passers-by in the draft and going to be playing with McDavid... Has um... and ok shot too I've heard...

Plays 30 minutes a night. A leader. Has greatly improved by ahl accounts. Tracks in extremely elite company still...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
no AHL this year?
Not anytime soon.

Probably not til January and even then that's 9 months off which is a long time for developing prospects. The more young guys playing competitive hockey right now, the better.

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
Where did you see this?

I only saw "no comments" so far.

Sorry, that was according to another source, who writes for hockeynews.se, should have added both links. But you’re right, that hasn’t been officially confirmed yet.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Really odd to me, here are some quotes from his, and reporting, from the teams website yesterday (in regards to his expected debut today):

- It is going to be great. I am really looking forward to play a regular season game ** [something something about missing a crowd] ***
- The most important thing is that we play a good game and win, Raphaël said after Friday's practice.

– It has been a big change for me, biggest difference is to face grown men. They are stronger and more skilled, but it is feeling better and better.

Tomorrow's game will be his first regular game against grown up men.

Raphaël has been playing in a line with Brady Ferguson and Nils Höglander. They were together again in today's practice and are expected to start together tomorrow.

That is from after practice yesterday.... From that to being cut from the team within 24 hours?... Oooook.

Edit: his line with Ferguson/Höglander was the 3rd line.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Interesting, but not really surprising to me. I was more surprised when the deal was announced in the first place because I thought there was no way that Lavoie would be good enough to get regular playing time in SHL. He'd be 13th/14th forward at best IMO and that's not a good place to be as a young talent that needs playing time, so honestly not sure what happened here. Poor decision-making by his agent maybe.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Interesting note from Gregor.

The official release on Rögle's website when it was originally announced said it was a loan. I don't know if it's customary to sign contracts on loans or not, I would guess no? I mean he's signed to the Oilers and not Rögle. Rögle certainly didn't call it a try-out though.

Vi är väldigt tacksamma och glada över det förtroende som Edmonton visar genom att låna ut Raphaël till oss. Vi har haft en bra dialog med Edmonton och vår förhoppning är att vi kan bygga vidare på den relationen framöver, säger Rögles sportchef Chris Abbott om lånet av Edmontons talang.

Translated: "We're very thankful and happy over the confidence Edmonton showed in us by loaning us Raphaël. We've had a good dialogue with Edmonton and our hope is that we can keep building on that relationship in the future, said Rögle's general manager Chris Abbott about the loan"

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Interesting, but not really surprising to me. I was more surprised when the deal was announced in the first place because I thought there was no way that Lavoie would be good enough to get regular playing time in SHL. He'd be 13th/14th forward at best IMO and that's not a good place to be as a young talent that needs playing time, so honestly not sure what happened here. Poor decision-making by his agent maybe.
If he would only be a 13/14 forward at best, then wouldn't he only be an ECHL guy over in NA?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If he would only be a 13/14 forward at best, then wouldn't he only be an ECHL guy over in NA?

He'd be an AHLer most likely but I wouldn't have expected him to play a top6 role in Bakersfield or been particularly productive. Probably something more in line with Kirill Maksimov who was also a very successful junior player. He had 13 points in 53 games in AHL this past season. It's a big jump from juniors to pro for all but the best prospects. Most struggle quite a bit in their first year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He'd be an AHLer most likely but I wouldn't have expected him to play a top6 role in Bakersfield or been particularly productive. Probably something more in line with Kirill Maksimov who was also a very successful junior player. He had 13 points in 53 games in AHL this past season. It's a big jump from juniors to pro for all but the best prospects. Most struggle quite a bit in their first year.
The AHL is a better league than the SHL though. If he isn't even a regular in the SHL he definitely isn't one in the AHL

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The AHL is a better league than the SHL though. If he isn't even a regular in the SHL he definitely isn't one in the AHL

No it's not. Either way, AHL is a developmental league where youngsters can get playing time. SHL is a pro league where you have to earn your ice time. You have to be really out of place to not get minutes in AHL as a highly touted prospect. It's rather different.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yes he would be, apples and oranges.

Rögle is one of the top 3 teams this season (projected), if he'd be in Bakersfield he'd get time because of them be a development affiliated franchise to the Oilers. In all honesty I think Rögle would beat almost any AHL without significant veteran presence this season.

Reactions: Zaddy

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
There might be a few better players in the AHL, but calling it a better league is a highly suspect claim.
It is a better league, but with a somewhat different purpose. Match them up and I think that normally the top SHL teams would beat the AHL teams, but in general all Vs all AHL would get the better of SHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad