Rantanen vs Laine

Laine vs Rantanen

• Total voters

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
hes 3rd worst on the avalanche in rel xgf% for forwards who have played all of their games
Cool stat. He's above Nathan MAckinnon in that stat category so I guess 29 is terrible. And wow, Matt Calvert leads the team in that statistic. We should keep an eye out for that guy. I mean he hasn't recorded a point yet this year and his career high is just 23 points in 9 NHL seasons but he's definitely due to breakout. I mean just look at this rel xgf%.

Rantanen is second in the league in points. You keep arguing your expected goals stats while the rest of the league counts on results.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Who the **** cares?

I feel like possession stats are used by people who are too lazy to actually watch games. I get that you did watch today's game and unfortunately Mikko had a tough outing.
ive watched the bolts all year, paquette is a beast this year after also being very good in the bruins and capitals series. looks like hes either finally fully healthy or finally reaching his full potential.

this is how rantanen's 3 years in the nhl look:

year 1: hes one of the worst possession players in the league granted on a historically awful team. doesnt do too much offensively besides scoring a bunch of goals on super high shooting percentage.
year 2: rides shotgun to a hart finalist and gets a crapton of secondary assists. also shoots slightly unsustainably high percentage individually but not as bad as his rookie year. a respectable 40 points at 5v5. 26 of them primary. (for reference kevin fiala had 27 5v5 primary points and wasnt playing with nate mackinnon. mackinnon had 45 5v5 primary points). credit where credit is due though, while he was a below 50% xgf guy he was a big positive relative to a weak possession avalanche team. however it got ugly when he was away from mackinnon (albeit small sample).
year 3: so far off to a very strong offensive start. near the top of the league in 5v5 primary points, but no goals yet at 5v5, all assists as nate mackinnon is off to a hot goal scoring start which helps a lot. not a strong possession player to start the season.

to me the kid is way overhyped, hes a solid player though. good playmaking winger but hes just as one dimensional as laine and is far more reliant on linemates than laine.

Reactions: IPS

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Laine's stock seems to be falling a lot considering there were comments saying to reverse judgement on whether he is on Ovechkin's trajectory as he would be the same age this season as AO was in his first season and now he's being compared to Rantanen (no offense to MR).

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I'm not sure I like your new schtick :-/
Ok, I’ll admit he’s a good playmaking winger. Noticeably below average defensively and putrid at getting individual chances (I’m not surprised he hasn’t scored yet at 5v5). Overall he’s not an amazing player.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Laine's stock seems to be falling a lot considering there were comments saying to reverse judgement on whether he is on Ovechkin's trajectory as he would be the same age this season as AO was in his first season and now he's being compared to Rantanen (no offense to MR).

I always felt those comparisons to Ovy were a bit much when you considered his overall game wasn't anything close to Ovy's. The majority don't think he's as good or better than Ovechkin as a player. I think they got carried away looking at goal scoring stats and forgot to watch the games. Laine is incredibly bad in his own zone on the breakout and is just starting to float a bit less in the offensive zone and contribute to the overall success of his line (which hasn't had much overall yet). He's still a very young player with a lot of room to grow, and he does show signs of improvement. That a fan of another team wanted to compare him to a guy who's nearly a year and a half older than him playing on his teams top line shouldn't be of any real concern to Laine's development. He's gotta learn to generate offense for himself and work with his linemates. Once he's capable of doing that the coach can put him on the top line with Scheifele and watch them tear the league up.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
imo Laine looks a little better this year but hasnt had much luck yet. Might not score 44 this year but I think he will be a more effective overall player

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I always felt those comparisons to Ovy were a bit much when you considered his overall game wasn't anything close to Ovy's. The majority don't think he's as good or better than Ovechkin as a player. I think they got carried away looking at goal scoring stats and forgot to watch the games. Laine is incredibly bad in his own zone on the breakout and is just starting to float a bit less in the offensive zone and contribute to the overall success of his line (which hasn't had much overall yet). He's still a very young player with a lot of room to grow, and he does show signs of improvement. That a fan of another team wanted to compare him to a guy who's nearly a year and a half older than him playing on his teams top line shouldn't be of any real concern to Laine's development. He's gotta learn to generate offense for himself and work with his linemates. Once he's capable of doing that the coach can put him on the top line with Scheifele and watch them tear the league up.
this is a good post. i agree laine is definitely improving at overall offensive generation. id like to see him continue to do it too, i really like his swagger and he can make the jets even scarier.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
ive watched the bolts all year, paquette is a beast this year after also being very good in the bruins and capitals series. looks like hes either finally fully healthy or finally reaching his full potential.

this is how rantanen's 3 years in the nhl look:

year 1: hes one of the worst possession players in the league granted on a historically awful team. doesnt do too much offensively besides scoring a bunch of goals on super high shooting percentage.
year 2: rides shotgun to a hart finalist and gets a crapton of secondary assists. also shoots slightly unsustainably high percentage individually but not as bad as his rookie year. a respectable 40 points at 5v5. 26 of them primary. (for reference kevin fiala had 27 5v5 primary points and wasnt playing with nate mackinnon. mackinnon had 45 5v5 primary points). credit where credit is due though, while he was a below 50% xgf guy he was a big positive relative to a weak possession avalanche team. however it got ugly when he was away from mackinnon (albeit small sample).
year 3: so far off to a very strong offensive start. near the top of the league in 5v5 primary points, but no goals yet at 5v5, all assists as nate mackinnon is off to a hot goal scoring start which helps a lot. not a strong possession player to start the season.

to me the kid is way overhyped, hes a solid player though. good playmaking winger but hes just as one dimensional as laine and is far more reliant on linemates than laine.
LOL this post is magnificent

Reactions: cgf

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
@DominicBoltsFan Go watch Avs vs Devils and tell us what you think about Rants then. He had one (if not the worst) game of the season yesterday against Canes IMO and still managed to get on the scoreboard and flash his skill. He is a star in the league, stop reading those corsies etc like it's something written in a Bible. There is more to hockey than corsi.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He has almost best possession stats in the Avalanche. Why troll so blatantly?
As I said the only forwards to start the year with lower xGF% than him who have played all their games were Gabriel Bourque and MacKinnon. Haven’t checked after the CAR game.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
this is a good post. i agree laine is definitely improving at overall offensive generation. id like to see him continue to do it too, i really like his swagger and he can make the jets even scarier.

What do the advanced stats tell you about Laines' swagger?

What's his swag/60? Xswag?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad