• Total voters

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
-uses a stat
-proceeds to imply that stats aren’t an effective argument

I think I got my answer right here.

Go look at the AVS stats that year since you like stats this much. Such as number of goals scored by Colorado compared to the rest of the league. The fact that Rantanen managed to score 20 goals that year as a rookie was nothing short of phenomenal. You called that "pretty terrible".

RandomAvsFan

Jun 27, 2016
Denver, Colorado
You mean his rookie season where he scored 20 goals on the worst team in the cap era? Do you ever watch the players or just the stats?

Obviously just stats. I knew his response would be some BS analytics when he said Rantanen doesn't even have a dimension.

Yes advanced stats can be helpful, but when it is literally the only thing you pay attention to it can skew your analysis of players a little bit.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think I got my answer right here.

Go look at the AVS stats that year since you like stats this much. Such as number of goals scored by Colorado compared to the rest of the league. The fact that Rantanen managed to score 20 goals that year as a rookie was nothing short of phenomenal. You called that "pretty terrible".
He shot over 15%. In addition, he was literally in the 2nd percentile of limiting xga/60. -5.4 rel xGF% despite playing on a piss-poor team. He was in the 7th percentile in the league in xGF%.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine has the higher ceiling but right now Rants is easily the better player.

Reactions: olli

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mikko cause I’m a homer and I don’t think laine is on a higher level. He’s a better sniper, though Mikko will have plenty of 40 goal seasons, but Mikko is a more dynamic playmaker with the better defensive instincts.

...albeit he has let his D dip a little playing next to Landeskog for the past year, as Landy lets MacK n Mikko focus more on creating by carrying a heavier burden for that line defensively.

Or more eloquently put, this:

I'll keep my fatassed Bambi.

Reactions: Foppberg

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Last year Rantanen was an above average playmaker but bottom tier at individual chance generation. He was a below average possession guy but good relative to his team since the avalanche were a bad possession team. However his possession metrics tank away from MacKinnon. In addition to that he put up putrid defensive results in 16-17, and not exactly good ones in 17-18 either. Rantanen is not a star player, he is a guy who is making a living playing next to a stud in Nathan MacKinnon.

Is this how you want to be remembered?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad