Rant of the Day -- The fine and ugly art of the tank

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Tanking is another hot topic that is mostly misunderstood, mostly because it simply doesn't exist in the NHL. There may be examples in other leagues (ahem, NBA, ahem, NFL), but there is simply *no* tanking in the NHL. To clear up the confusion, let's get a few things straight -- like the roles and responsibilities of the people involved.

First off, the players. The players' responsibility is being prepared to give 100 percent effort the next time they step on the ice. This never changes, no matter what the score is, where in the standings the team is, or whether it's a practice, game or warm-up skate. They give 100 percent when the coach taps them on the shoulder. Obviously, the intensity necessary to win at the highest level sometimes wanes when a team is struggling or when the season looks lost, but no player wants to lose, and no player will "try" to lose. Players are judged by their ability to perform during games, and don't care about the long-term health of the franchise. Players don't tank, and we should stop asking them about it or speculating about it.

The coach's responsibility is a bit wider in scope. He's got to worry about giving his team the best chance to win each game -- not just tonight's game -- by properly managing factors like player availability, opponent's strategies, etc. A coach has to take more into consideration than a player, but in the end, he's constrained by the roster. He's only got 23 options, and they're all going to give 100 percent every time they step on the ice. Coaches are judged by their win-loss record, and aren't very concerned with anything past the current season. Coaches don't tank, and we should stop asking them about it or speculating about it.

The GM's responsibility is the biggest of the three. He can see past one shift, one game, or a month, or even an entire season, to the long-term success of the franchise. Here's where the idea of "tanking" comes in. In situations like the Hurricanes are in now, what's best for the team *today* and what's best for the team in 2015-16 and beyond are not necessarily the same thing. In those situations, the GM has to weigh any short-term gain against the long-term success of the franchise, both of which are his responsibility.

What I'm saying, is that what Buffalo, Edmonton, Carolina, Phoenix and potentially others are doing is simply not "tanking," and I wish we'd stop using that word. If the Canes trade Sekera, Tlusty and honestly, anyone, it will be to benefit the long-term. That's smart. To play out the string, try to win a few games and sell a few tickets is very short-sighted and will hurt the team (as we have seen in the past). At some point, you just *have* to scrap a season and go all in with the rebuild, or reload, or whatever you want to call it. Anything else and the GM is simply not doing his job (see Rutherford, Jim).

I get that finishing near the bottom -- or at the bottom -- doesn't guarantee anything. I get that high draft picks don't guarantee anything. I get that there are no guarantees in any of this. I really do. But picking No. 4 has got to be better than picking No. 9, right? We're talking about value here. The best way to get the most value out of a lost season is to get the highest pick possible and maybe take a flyer on a few young players. And the best way to do that is to finish as low as possible. It's really not rocket science.

And it's also not tanking. It's the GM's job.

Still to come: PK, Maniscalco, my idea to fix every league's All-Star Game.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I agree with the majority of that post, but not the entirety of it.

What Buffalo is doing with their roster isn't entirely tanking. They have a young core group and were very much pushing for McDavid in the draft this year, but they also have a coach that demands the absolute most out of his players in Nolan and some hungry young players trying to break into the league or stay in the league as some of their higher regarded prospects start knocking on the door.

But to say tanking doesn't happen in the NHL? It happens. It happens exponentially more in the NBA and the NFL, but it happens in hockey too. The 2003-04 Capitals are absolute proof that tanking happens. There's absolutely no way that a career ECHL backup like Matthew Yeats starts 5 of their final 7 of their season in front of Olaf Kolzig. I mean would anyone even remotely buy us starting Collin Olson over Cam Ward or Anton Khudobin? Because that's the exact equivalent of what they did. They also made a point to play such illustrious names as Andrej Podnicky, Dwayne Zinger, Garret Stroshein, Chris Hjat, Mel Angelstad, and Jakub Cutta getting some of their only NHL action and almost exclusively at the end of the season. And they also had the illustrious Josef Boumedienne playing as their #1 dman for the last 3 months of the season. I mean, the equivalent of that last one alone would have been having Bryan Rodney or Bobby Sanguinetti as our #1, just an absolutely ridiculous concept that no team that's even attempting to win games should be making a claim of with a straight face, not even in the AHL.

The Caps tanked that year at the end of the season in an effort to get one of Ovechkin and Malkin, plain and simple. There were also heavy allegations about the Sens tanking at the end of the 92-93 season to get Daigle, and a result was the draft lottery being implemented. As I said, it happens exponentially more in the NBA and NFL, and quite obviously so in those sports. But it most definitely happens in hockey.

The players won't tank, that much is for sure. But I remember that Caps team well, management will tank in a heartbeat and give coaching instructions to have it happen if they can. A GM instructing their coaching to play scrubs like those while any kind of youth with talent on that team (Semin) is in the farm system at the end of the season to "help the AHL playoff run" is the absolute definition of tanking.

That's also only happened once in the past decade that I've seen, that Caps team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad