Ranking WC teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
finska said:
I agree with Mattihp.. Not many are better than Martin Brodeur, if any! Definitely not Whoqwist.

:rant:

I'm just saying that at the moment, I think "Whoqvist" is better than Brodeur. Has Brodeur even played hockey this season? I'm not saying that next year in NHL Lundqvist will be better than Brodeur wich isn't impossible. But right now this Tournament Lundqvist is better. You might not belive me who don't know who he is but you'll see. And if not, then I was wrong.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
wassup77 said:
This is what I think about this tournament:

Russia has the best forwards by far.
Sweden has the best goalkeeper by far. Thats right, better than Brodeur.
Canada probably has the best Defensemen though, I guess.
wassup77 said:
No its not. You will change your mind when you see that Sweden has 0 goals against in the round robin.
Don`t post **** like that, Sweden are the underdogs in this tournament and that`s how we like it.

SENSible1*

wassup77 said:
Its not rediculous...it might be uncorrect, its just what I think. Its anything but ridiculous.

Your thought, in this instance, is ridiculous.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
finska said:
I agree with Mattihp.. Not many are better than Martin Brodeur, if any! Definitely not Whoqwist.

:rant:

brodeur, yes he has done great job behind New jersey devils turtle defense.
i think everyone can do great behind that turtle defense.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Bonde 007 said:
Don`t post **** like that, Sweden are the underdogs in this tournament and that`s how we like it.

Sweden is this year's favorite, and by far!!! :D :bow:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Lundqvist hasn't played in the NHL and a handful fo good Swedish seasons under his belt is all he has. Norrena and Bäckström have many many seasons of great play in both Finland and Sweden.

Lundqvist won the silver medal last year in this tourney and was selected to the all-star team...he's very very good, i'm just concerned about the help he gets from his team. I don't know how good their D will be but sweden scares me sometimes, with how they hung him out to dry last year against canada

and in this tourney, it doesn't matter at all if he's played in the NHL or not...this is european ice and european "rules". not to mention that he has faced NHL talent in the SEL last year as well as various tourneys and has always acquitted himself quite well.

Sweden has the best goalkeeper by far. Thats right, better than Brodeur.

that's going a bit far though ;) he may play better than broduer in this tourney, who knows, but I don't think he's a better goalie than broduer (yet :) ) hehe

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Bonde 007 said:
I can`t hear you ...

You Swedes are incredible! You're just saying how all other teams are great and how much Sweden sucks just to leave the pressure of your team, be considered as underdogs and than come from behind and win it all! Well, I'm not gonna fall on that one...

Sweden is a team to beat, the lone favourites for this tournament, don't be fooled by the unknown names, loosing to Russia in the Euro tour was just part of the plan, Lundqvist >>>>>Brodeur

I think I changed my mind :) :

1. Sweden :razz:

2. Czech R.
3. Russia

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
TORRUS said:
You Swedes are incredible! You're just saying how all other teams are great and how much Sweden sucks just to leave the pressure of your team, be considered as underdogs and than come from behind and win it all! Well, I'm not gonna fall on that one...
Dammit, you have discovered our secret plan...

mackdogs*

Short & sweet Canada is my pick to take this tourney yet again.
The Russians look good on paper but like the Russians of the 70s/80s found ways to win the Russian teams of late can only find ways to lose. I see this trend continuing. Finland is my dark horse choice and I'd love to see a Canada/Finland final (if possible).

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
mackdogs said:
The Russians look good on paper but like the Russians of the 70s/80s found ways to win the Russian teams of late can only find ways to lose. I see this trend continuing.

Why? The russians have a decent coach for once..

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I love how no one wants to give the Canadian forwards a chance, talking about how the Russians/Czechs/Slovaks have so much more talent up front. There are only a handful of players in the NHL more talented than a lot of the Canadian forwards, and most of them aren't playing in this tournament. Dany Heatley playing at 70% is probably a top line forward on any other team, same with Doan, Thornton, Nash, Gagne, Marleau etc. But they're being ranked by you guys as probably being worse than a bunch of no-names from Europe. Sorry, I'll take franchise NHLers who haven't played in a season over a bunch of guys who will never make the NHL in their lives.

I'm not saying the Canadians will win gold or even medal, but going into the tournament, they are without a doubt favorites.

mackdogs*

Riddarn said:
Why? The russians have a decent coach for once..
I wish I had a better answer Riddarn but it's a combo of my gut and having seen how team Russia has done lately. IMO it is very similar to what the NY Ranger$ and Real Madrid have been going through... just a major lack of team chemistry. Who knows for sure... Ovechkin should do better this tourney since it looks like Sid the kid will miss it ;)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
therealdeal said:
Dany Heatley playing at 70% is probably a top line forward on any other team.

And Ilya Kovalchuk playing at 100% is certainly a 3rd line winger on team Russia. :D

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I love how no one wants to give the Canadian forwards a chance, talking about how the Russians/Czechs/Slovaks have so much more talent up front. There are only a handful of players in the NHL more talented than a lot of the Canadian forwards, and most of them aren't playing in this tournament. Dany Heatley playing at 70% is probably a top line forward on any other team, same with Doan, Thornton, Nash, Gagne, Marleau etc. But they're being ranked by you guys as probably being worse than a bunch of no-names from Europe. Sorry, I'll take franchise NHLers who haven't played in a season over a bunch of guys who will never make the NHL in their lives.

first, i think canada only has the real advantage in terms of guys like Thornton, Heatley, and Nash. the other guys like Doan, Gagne, etc, can have their equivalents found on other teams. Not that they're bad players, but they're not quite a "step above" like the other three I mentioned. They provide Canada with good depth in this tournament but they're not special talents that other teams can't have.

and second, this isn't a NA style, NHL tournament. being a NHL player in this tournament doesn't exactly mean you're better for it than a player who's played his career in europe. They're used to the ice and the rules and the styles of play that are successful in this setting. they're no slouches or "no talents" just because they're not in the NHL when it comes to a tourney like this.

that all being said, Canada does have very good talent and depth obviously and certainly should be considered a favorite as long as they aren't terribly rusty...but I could easily see them being knocked off if they don't play 100%. Heatley at 70% isn't going to win them this tourney if the rest of the team follows suite

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Levitate said:
that's going a bit far though ;) he may play better than broduer in this tourney, who knows, but I don't think he's a better goalie than broduer (yet :) ) hehe

Ehm..thats exactly what I said in my other post. In this tournament(wich we are talking about in this topic right?) I think Lundqvist is the best goalkeeper.

People who are saying that I'm rediculous should read what I write instead of looking back at what Brodeur has done in his career.

Can someone please answer me what Brodeur has done this year? nothing? oh ok...

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
Can someone please answer me what Brodeur has done this year? nothing? oh ok...

Yes but brodeur has in the past won a tourney like this called the olympics, and all teams had their top talent there. Too put Lundqvist ahead of goalies like broduer and loungo just doesnt fit. You cant say oh lok at what theses goalies have done this eyar, they ddint get a chance to play. So when comparing them we should look instead to the latest stats and comparisons, which would be the nhl from last year, in whihc bordeur and loungo were starters and top elite goaltenders in the league. Lundqvist hasnt proven that he is better just becuase he had a good year in the SEL. And if u say Lundqvist was named 2nd team allstar last WC why cant we then talk about Loungo's play last year, or any other Canadian that played last year. Too just discredit all these NHL superstars have done in there careers becasue there was no NHL is ridioulous. These players still have the talent and have been proven to be far superior to Lundqvist in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->