Ranking WC teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
deandebean said:
And to add on my comment, the canadian players that decided not to go could beat every team of this tourney, including the canadian team. Just to show you how important this tourney is to our country.

I also posted a 5 line, 5 pair, 3 goalie Russian roster of players not going ... that second team could beat anyone.
I remember the same was posted for Team Sweden.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Boucicaut said:
Games are played on the ice. Period.

Thank you! :clap:

In hockey you win by the number of goals you score, not the number of teams you can ice at the Worlds.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
Great Goalie!!

It is funny how you say Sweden will medal because they have a great goalie. Who is he anyways? But Canada will finish last with may be the number one and number two best goalies in the world. I do not care how long some of the canadian players have been off, they are pro atheletes, they will not have gotten that far out of shape and it will not take them long to get it back.

TORRUS said:
With so much talk about him he can only be overrated...
Lundqvist this, Lundqvist that, the best goalie Sweden ever had, bla, bla...

1. Czechs (great team, a lot of experience, chemistry)
2. Russia (good team, even better coaching staff that knows what to do)
3. Sweden (Sweden is allways Sweden. Contender for the medal, great goalie)
4. Slovakia (weak defence will cost them)
5. USA (apsolutely nothing special)
6. Finland (see above, but maybe I should have put them before the US cause Finland has much more heart and allways plays like a team, but I didn't want to put both NA teams at bottom of my list)
7. Canada (too many rusty players. It would be an injustice if Canada takes a medal, but they will probably surprise me and end up 5th or something like that)

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
macleafs said:
It is funny how you say Sweden will medal because they have a great goalie. Who is he anyways? But Canada will finish last with may be the number one and number two best goalies in the world. I do not care how long some of the canadian players have been off, they are pro atheletes, they will not have gotten that far out of shape and it will not take them long to get it back.

There are way more than 7 teams in the WC. That said, I don't think Canada will be seventh...more likely in positions from 1st to 4th.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
1. Russia. Just amazing how much talent there is on this team. And I think this new coach, Krikunov, is the right man to lead them. Even Yashin looks like he cares.. :amazed:
2. Czech Republic. Great team on paper, always performs well at the Worlds.
3. Canada. Great team, on paper. Several players have been more or less inactive the entire season, that could be a problem.
4. Slovakia. Great offensive players, Chara will be busy back in the defense. They have decent goalies and like the Czechs often performs well at the Worlds.
5. USA. Some decent talent, most of their players have played regularly during the season. Might lack some of the top-end talent the top 3 have.
6. Finland. Interesting, quite young team. No big stars but who cares when they managed to play the final at the World Cup with a team that most thought wouldn't make the semis. Great goaltending and fighting spirit.
7. Sweden. Lacklustre though pretty competent team. Not that many great offensive players apart from Daniel Alfredsson and Henrik Zetterberg. Time for Henrik Lundqvist to show what he's made of, because without a good goalie this team won't make anyone happy. Best young offensive talent - Defenseman Niklas Kronwall, born 1981..

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
therealdeal said:
I remember how lundqvist had like a .942 and a 1.something GAA last year until he played Canada and got completely lit up. NHL shooters>european league shooters.

Hes been facing NHL shooters all season in the SEL league , and he just faced a tuff Russian team and did very well. I cant even comment on that game last year because who is to say his defense didnt do anything??

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Re:

Since everyone is doing their prediction, here is mine:

1) Russia - Great team, Ovechkin is truely dangerous. Some other excellent players on this team. The only question is in goal.
2) Canada - Always great, rarely disappoints.
3) Czheks - Big name players, will Jaromir show up?
4) Finland - I like this team. Not great on paper, but I think they will surprise a few.
5) Sweden - I think Sweden has a chance to finish in the top 3, but will it all come together for them? Not so sure.
6) USA - These guys are good, but chemistry seems to be a problem.
7) Slovakia - Some good players. They may surprise.

Of course I will be rooting for Finland, so I hope they win :cheers:

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
finska said:
Since everyone is doing their prediction, here is mine:

1) Russia - Great team, Ovechkin is truely dangerous. Some other excellent players on this team. The only question is in goal.
2) Canada - Always great, rarely disappoints.
3) Czheks - Big name players, will Jaromir show up?
4) Finland - I like this team. Not great on paper, but I think they will surprise a few.
5) Sweden - I think Sweden has a chance to finish in the top 3, but will it all come together for them? Not so sure.
6) USA - These guys are good, but chemistry seems to be a problem.
7) Slovakia - Some good players. They may surprise.

Of course I will be rooting for Finland, so I hope they win :cheers:

Goalies: Ján Lašák (Moeller Pardubice/ČR), Rastislav Staňa (SK Södertälje/Å véd.), Karol Križan (HKm Zvolen)
D-men: Martin Å trbák (CSKA Moskva/Rus.), Ľubomír ViÅ¡ňovský, René Vydarený (obaja Slovan Bratislava), Richard Lintner (Fribourg Gotteron/Å vajč.), Zdeno Chára (BK Färjestad/Å véd.), Radoslav Suchý (Tatravagónka Å KP Poprad), Ivan Majeský (Sparta Praha/ČR), Jaroslav ObÅ¡ut (HS Lulea/Å véd.), Dominik Graňák (Slavia Praha/ČR), Richard Stehlík (Dukla Trenčín)
Forwards: Žigmund Pálffy, Jozef Stümpel (obaja Slavia Praha/ČR), Miroslav Å atan (Slovan Bratislava), Pavol Demitra, Marián Hossa, Marián Gáborík (vÅ¡etci Dukla Trenčín), Michal HandzuÅ¡, Richard Zedník, Vladimír Országh (vÅ¡etci HKm Zvolen), Marcel Hossa, Ladislav Nagy (obaja Mora IK/Å véd.), ĽuboÅ¡ Bartečko (Dinamo Moskva/Rus.), Peter Pucher (ZnojemÅ¡tí Orli Znojmo/ČR), Juraj Å tefanka (HC Vítkovice/ČR), Branko Radivojevič (HS Lulea/Å véd.).

what's "some" mean? :dunno: :dunno:

btw: hockey is played on the ice not on paper...

howerver according to the rosters do you believe that slovakia has 7th best team?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
e-e said:
Goalies: Ján Lašák (Moeller Pardubice/ČR), Rastislav Staňa (SK Södertälje/Å véd.), Karol Križan (HKm Zvolen)
D-men: Martin Å trbák (CSKA Moskva/Rus.), Ľubomír ViÅ¡ňovský, René Vydarený (obaja Slovan Bratislava), Richard Lintner (Fribourg Gotteron/Å vajč.), Zdeno Chára (BK Färjestad/Å véd.), Radoslav Suchý (Tatravagónka Å KP Poprad), Ivan Majeský (Sparta Praha/ČR), Jaroslav ObÅ¡ut (HS Lulea/Å véd.), Dominik Graňák (Slavia Praha/ČR), Richard Stehlík (Dukla Trenčín)
Forwards: Žigmund Pálffy, Jozef Stümpel (obaja Slavia Praha/ČR), Miroslav Å atan (Slovan Bratislava), Pavol Demitra, Marián Hossa, Marián Gáborík (vÅ¡etci Dukla Trenčín), Michal HandzuÅ¡, Richard Zedník, Vladimír Országh (vÅ¡etci HKm Zvolen), Marcel Hossa, Ladislav Nagy (obaja Mora IK/Å véd.), ĽuboÅ¡ Bartečko (Dinamo Moskva/Rus.), Peter Pucher (ZnojemÅ¡tí Orli Znojmo/ČR), Juraj Å tefanka (HC Vítkovice/ČR), Branko Radivojevič (HS Lulea/Å véd.).

howerver according to the rosters do you believe that slovakia has 7th best team?
Id rather be in the position of the underdogs. When he are the underdogs, we produce. But lately, as we have been called contenders, are play has started to be a bit worse.

My personal feeling.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
1. Canada. Prediction hinges on ability to adjust to elite level after half the team didn't play this year. Also, many players played in the Swiss Country Club League. Goaltending should be enough to keep this team in the medals. Potential is there to score lots of goals, and the defence is rock-solid.

2. Czechs. Firepower abounds. Lots of offensive potential. Many of their best players are there, and guess what, they've been playing this year. Not as strong in the defensive zone as Canada.

3. Finns. Hockey's new elite nation should never be counted out. With Kiprusoff in net, any team that takes them lightly will be beat.

4. Russia. Lots of talent, lots of explosive firepower. Problem is, this team lacks the goaltending to keep up with the other three teams, and chemistry is often a foreign concept to the Russians.

5. Slovakia. Always do well at this tournament. Slovak players take great pride in playing for their country, so they often play better than many would think. Like Russia, lots of firepower, not much on the back end.

6. U.S.A. The transition to the new era begins for the Americans. It will be a bumpy few years for the U.S., but brighter days are ahead with strong drafts since in 2002.

7. Sweden. Still lots of veteran talent in Sweden, too bad most of those elite players aren't playing. Surprising, considering the Swedes have rarely had such a problem. That's bad news for the Swedes, who have to rely on more of their younger players, and those younger players aren't that good.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't think Canada will do well at this tournament. Over half of their players haven't played a meaningful game in over a year.

1.Czech Republic
2.Russia
3.Finland
4.Slovakia
5.Canada
6.Sweden
7.USA

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
God Bless Canada said:
1. Canada. Prediction hinges on ability to adjust to elite level after half the team didn't play this year. Also, many players played in the Swiss Country Club League. Goaltending should be enough to keep this team in the medals. Potential is there to score lots of goals, and the defence is rock-solid.

Name : God Bless Canada

Prediction : Canada 1st ... no, really? :eek:

:snide:

God Bless Canada said:
With Kiprusoff in net, any team that takes them lightly will be beat.

Kipper is not playing.

SChan*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Hes been facing NHL shooters all season in the SEL league , and he just faced a tuff Russian team and did very well. I cant even comment on that game last year because who is to say his defense didnt do anything??

yes Lundqvist has improved ALOT since he played canada last year.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Ok let's predict then.

1. Canada (always the favourite, could end up 7th just as well with "well rested" stars.)

2. Russia (Loads of talent, depends how they come together)
3. Finland (great goalies. Best skating, worst shooting. Good system)
4. Czech (Lots of firepower, horrible goalies.)
5. USA (nice roster for once in world championships too)
6. Slovakia (they always have firepower up front, questionable goalie)
7. Sweden (Depends on Lundqvist, but the team ain't all that)

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Re:

e-e said:

The forwards are awesome, and Zdeno Chara is a kick butt player. However, the rest of the defence and the goalie don't excite me that much. But then again...who knows, right? Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Slovakia did well in this tournament.
:thumbu:

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
psycho_dad said:
3. Finland (great goalies. Best skating, worst shooting. Good system)
How many people outside of Finland and Sweden have ever heard of Fredrik Norrena and Nicklas Bäckström?

I`m not saying that the finnish goalies are bad but the most well known (Kiprusoff, Lehtonen etc...) isnt on the team.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Re:

Bonde 007 said:
How many people outside of Finland and Sweden have ever heard of Fredrik Norrena and Nicklas Bäckström?

I`m not saying that the finnish goalies are bad but the most well known (Kiprusoff, Lehtonen etc...) isnt on the team.

I think this was more of a synopsis of the best available talent for each country.
;)

Cono

Oct 17, 2004
Turku
Bonde 007 said:

It doesn´t matter if someone in North America haven´t heard about Bäckström and Norrena. They are great goalies, both of them could play in NHL.
Probably some teams underestimate their skills and it´s a good think for Finland.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
1. Canada - Big name talent in Thornton, Nash, Heatley, Smyth, Morrow, Redden, Jovanoski, Doan, and Brodeur/Luongo/Turco as the goalies. Why are some of you predicting 7th overall? This team is loaded with gritty, physical players, tonnes of offense, a kick ass defense, and the world's best goaltending, and 7-5th place is going to be Canada's fate? Wow.

2. Slovakia - High powered offense, and a very nice looking team all around. I'm expecting huge things from this team simply due to the scary amount of offense these guys can produce. With Demitra on board with Hossa, Gaborik, and Chara backing him up, this is a scary looking team for anybody to face. Could potentially challenge Canada for the gold.

3. Russia - Very nice looking team, solid all around, but no goaltending. Could be a problem, but with that much offense, I predict a Top 3 finish.

4. USA - Nice team, but very few big name guys. It'll depend on the fact that Conklin stands on his head again, and if the role guys can step it up another notch. Not their best team, but they could surprise a lot of people.

5. Czech - Decent goalies with amazing offense. Questionable at this time where they'll place, and could challenge for a #3 or #4 spot. It depends on how the team can gel, because I look at the roster, and I'm impressed, and when I look down the sheet to the goalie I wonder how they'll do.

6. Sweden - Not a lot of big stars. With Sundin, Forsberg, Naslund, etc. they'd have a Top 3 finisher for sure, but it depends on if Zetterberg can step it up and help Alfreddson with the offense.

7. Finland - Questionable team with not a lot of NHL talent. Jokinen is great and all, but can he and Lundqvist make Finland a real competitor? Sweden and Finland are both interchangeable as to their respective positions. Decent team with lots of firepower, but a lackluster defense to say the least.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Latkamaila said:
It doesn´t matter if someone in North America haven´t heard about Bäckström and Norrena. They are great goalies, both of them could play in NHL.
Probably some teams underestimate their skills and it´s a good think for Finland.
That was basiclly my point, i was just surprised that someone would consider Finland goalies to the WC`s as "great".
IMO Norrena/Bäckström are not in the same class as Brodeur, Loungo or Voukon which (again IMO) are the "elite" goalies in this WC.
I dont consider Finlands goalies in this WC`s on paper to be any better or worse then USAs, Slovkias, Swedens or Russias.

All the pressure in this tourney goes to Canada, Czech Rep. and Russia, with USA and Slovakia in the middle and Sweden and Finland as the underdogs,
just as we like it. ;)

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Bruins4Ever said:
1. Canada - Big name talent in Thornton, Nash, Heatley, Smyth, Morrow, Redden, Jovanoski, Doan, and Brodeur/Luongo/Turco as the goalies. Why are some of you predicting 7th overall? This team is loaded with gritty, physical players, tonnes of offense, a kick ass defense, and the world's best goaltending, and 7-5th place is going to be Canada's fate? Wow.

2. Slovakia - High powered offense, and a very nice looking team all around. I'm expecting huge things from this team simply due to the scary amount of offense these guys can produce. With Demitra on board with Hossa, Gaborik, and Chara backing him up, this is a scary looking team for anybody to face. Could potentially challenge Canada for the gold.

3. Russia - Very nice looking team, solid all around, but no goaltending. Could be a problem, but with that much offense, I predict a Top 3 finish.

4. USA - Nice team, but very few big name guys. It'll depend on the fact that Conklin stands on his head again, and if the role guys can step it up another notch. Not their best team, but they could surprise a lot of people.

5. Czech - Horrible goalies with amazing offense. Questionable at this time where they'll place, and could challenge for a #3 or #4 spot. It depends on how the team can gel, because I look at the roster, and I'm impressed, and when I look down the sheet to the goalie I wonder how they'll do.

6. Sweden - Not a lot of big stars. With Sundin, Forsberg, Naslund, etc. they'd have a Top 3 finisher for sure, but it depends on if Zetterberg can step it up and help Alfreddson with the offense.

7. Finland - Questionable team with not a lot of NHL talent. Jokinen is great and all, but can he and Lundqvist make Finland a real competitor? Sweden and Finland are both interchangeable as to their respective positions. Decent team with lots of firepower, but a lackluster defense to say the least.

Lundqvist apparently is a good goalie. Unfortunately he plays for Sweden ;)

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Bonde 007 said:
That was basiclly my point, i was just surprised that someone would consider Finland goalies to the WC`s as "great".
IMO Norrena/Bäckström are not in the same class as Brodeur, Loungo or Voukon which (again IMO) are the "elite" goalies in this WC.
I dont consider Finlands goalies in this WC`s on paper to be any better then USAs, Slovkias, Swedens or Russias.

All the pressure in this tourney goes to Canada, Czech Rep. and Russia, with USA and Slovakia in the middle and Sweden and Finland as the underdogs,
just as we like it. ;)

I agree with everything else, but Vokoun has really sucked ass this season so I'm not sure if he can be considered an elite goalie at this point.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Bonde 007 said:
Just wondering, what´s wrong with Vokoun?

He played with HIFK Helsinki this season and was one of the main reasons why they -against all predictions- didn't even make the semifinals of the Finnish league. I'm not sure what was the problem, perhaps motivation? He played well for the Czech Republic earlier though.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
Bonde 007 said:
Just wondering, what´s wrong with Vokoun?

Sorry, I was a bit harsh on Vokoun. I should have put "not exactly elite" goalies on the Czech team. Vokoun is pretty good, but after him, there isn't much goaltending depth. I think that's the best way I can explain, but I was a bit harsh on Vokoun on his talent, so I'll edit my predictions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->