Ranking Top Young Finnish Players

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
How would you fellas rank the top young Finnish players based on NHL projection? Let's say 22 years or younger, NHL experience irrelevant. As a Sabres fan, I'm curious where Armia and Ristolainen slot in, but Finland is my favorite hockey nation outside of North America so I find this of general interest.

Leave goaltenders out of it or rank them separately, as I don't think it's fair to compare them with skaters.

Barkov would seem to be the easy #1 aside from being my favorite prospect out there at the moment. Would #2 still be Granlund in most people's minds? Not sure I'd put him there myself.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Barkov is the top offensive prospect, after that it might be a matter of taste how you rank guys like Granlund, Teräväinen, Armia and Kapanen. Will Granlund find that extra time and space he needs on the ice and become slightly less of a rag doll in battles? Will Teräväinen fill out his slim frame, and does he have the drive and determination to become a world class player? Will Armia become consistent and well-rounded enough? Could Kapanen become better than Granlund, Teräväinen and Armia?

Ristolainen is the top defensive prospect I think, followed by Määttä, Vatanen and maybe Pokka.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, it's pretty hard to rank them in any specific order behind Barkov, given how they're such a mixed bag, each with some spectacular strengths but also weaknesses that may or may not end up being a halting factor. I won't even try to rank them all, but rather give my invidiual impressions.

I'd say Granlund is still very much the second most likely , he is almost guaranteed to make the NHL - if not as centre, then as winger. That may not necessarily happen with the Wild though, given the great depth they have at the wings. But there is an organization out there that will get a very effective player from him. Whether it's his current one or some other remains to be seen.

Armia I've slated as a type for whom making the prediction is a nothing but a coin toss. Can be a remarkable sniper, but failing at that - very likely a complete bust. Very little none middle ground he could land here. Hardly an utility player, despite his frame.

Teräväinen... solid skill, work ethic... lacks size. Luckily he's a forward, so he should get a very fair shot regardless. Could land the league or not, but with far wider range to land in than is the case with Armia. Being able to play in almost any position definitely helps.

Out of D prospects, Ristolainen is perhaps has the best package overall, and his ceiling is very much an elite level all-around defenseman.

Määttä isn't very far behind. In their current stage of development, he might even be a little ahead.

Vatanen has the best offensive skills, and while he has the mind to be good in the defensive zone as well, his size of course puts a big question mark as to whether he can be effective at that in the modern NHL. As an aside, I find it a little sad actually, not for Vatanen's sake, but because of the league itself. Its playstyle has steadily developed in a direction where players with limited skill but great physical assets can still find themselves a niche role, but those who are crazy skilled but lack the grit are often destined to head to Europe.

The rest, I suppose, are anybody's guess at this stage. The likes of Hartikainen and Salomäki might end up making it in utility roles or not. Pokka is a crapshoot. Lehkonen, Kapanen... the skill is very likely there, but if it'll translate to the NHL is too early to say.

Coaster

Jul 5, 2013
Vaasa
Based on potential
1. Barkov
2. Ristolainen

Both have the needed qualities to become elite players in the NHL.

As for the others, it's really hard to say.

I really hope that Granlund will have his breakthrough, but there is no denying that the last season was a disappointment. And the truth is, he is a player who lacks size and is not a very good skater. That combination just doesn't work very often in the NHL. But then again, he is just too skilled to be a bust. He's also got a great work ethic. Next season will tell more.

Armia is an interesting case. Possibly a +30 goal scorer. Could also be a bust. The biggest problem seems to be his mental game.

Vatanen obviously is really skilled and has shown that he can play in the big league. The main problem for him is obviously is his size (5'10). Should get a fair shot with the Ducks as soon as the season starts.

Määttä. Right behind Ristolainen when it comes to Defensemen. Has had two great seasons with London Knights, and I'm really pleased how he's developed. Should be a solid NHL player in near future.

Teräväinen. One of those skilled guys with a lot of potential. Still needs to develop and gain size, and that means spending one more year in Finland. Has all the tools to become a solid top 6 forward in near future.

And then there's of course a bunch of 2nd rounders from recent years (Pokka, Lehkonen etc). Hard to say at this point.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
The ones who I'm at least relatively sure will become NHL players:

Barkov- could be a 1st line center with a strong two-way game

Ristolainen- could be a top pairing dman, I like his physical game and the offensive upside

Määttä- should be at least a solid top 4 dman, at least until this point has shown better defensive than offensive game, but he's still young. I don't know if his future is with the Pens (would love to have him on the Wild) as they have so many defensive prospects, but I do believe it is in the NHL.

Mi. Granlund- could still be a 2nd line center, but if not, he should be a very good playmaking top 6 winger

All of these young players have a lot of talent and have no known issues with work ethic or character that could cause them to bust. The first three are also NHL-sized.

The one who has the tools but big bust potential (otherwise I'd rank him with the group above):

Armia- Could be a regular 30-goal scorer or a complete bust. Obviously I'm hoping for the former option, but time will tell. I think he can be that 30-goal scorer if he really puts his mind on it, decides he's going to be a star and works hard for it. His beast mode is very impressive, you can see he does have a lot of willpower.

The ones who I think have a fair shot but lack something:

Vatanen- If he can produce enough in the NHL, he'll be an offensive force for some time to come. If not, he will come back to Europe and take the torch from Petteri Nummelin as the most offensively gifted but small-sized Finnish defenseman who couldn't make it in the NHL.

Teräväinen- He reminds me of Valtteri Filppula. He skates better than Granlund and is very "slippery", meaning that he doesn't get crushed by larger players on a regular basis. He still needs to fill out, but if he can do that, he should be able to become a top 6 winger in the NHL. The reason he's ranked this "low" (which is still pretty high) is that he's still got ways to go before he even plays his first NHL game.

The wild cards who I wouldn't count out but who have varying degrees of uncertainty:

Pokka, Lehkonen, Hakanpää, Salomäki, Ma. Granlund

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Taking undrafted players to account also..

1. Barkov
Unmatched size, skill and overall game.

2. Puljujärvi
Havent seen him that much, but for me he really seems like a player that could be succesful in NHL. Already 187cm, and just turned 15 years old. Playing in A-juniors next season, is projected to be well over 190cm. Good skater, great finisher and very skilled. Next Olli Jokinen? This kid just oozes potential no matter how you look at it.

The only thing that bothers me is that Mr. Tormentor isnt THAT sold on this kid:)

3. Ristolainen
The most promising d-man prospect since Pitkänen. Top pairing player with some offensive upside.

4. Granlund
Adjusting to NHL-level at the moment.

5. Määttä
Just a solid defender. Probably the safest pick for a long NHL-career after Barkov.

6. Armia
You just cant ignore the skill this guy has. 190cm, hasnt yet bulked up, has good wheels, excellent offensive skills. 30-30 guy for Buffalo if it all turns out well.

7. Teräväinen
Valtteri Filppula-clone. Will not be as good overall player but his offensive skill set could be better. But please, move him to wing, permanently.

8. Saarela
Could be better than Armia,Teräväinen or even Granlund. Who knows. Already physically mature, could grow couple of cm´s still. 1st rounder at this point for sure.

All of these guys should have NHL-potential, no question about it. The rest of the players (Pokka, Salomäki, Granlund, Lehkonen or even Kapanen).. I´m not too convinced, at least yet.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

1. Barkov

2. Puljujärvi
Havent seen him that much, but for me he really seems like a player that could be succesful in NHL. Already 187cm, and just turned 15 years old. Playing in A-juniors next season, is projected to be well over 190cm. Good skater, great finisher and very skilled. Next Olli Jokinen? This kid just oozes potential no matter how you look at it.

The only thing that bothers me is that Mr. Tormentor isnt THAT sold on this kid:)

3. Ristolainen
The most promising d-man prospect since Pitkänen. Top pairing player with some offensive upside.

4. Granlund

5. Määttä
Just a solid defender. Probably the safest pick for a long NHL-career after Barkov.

6. Armia
You just cant ignore the skill this guy has. 190cm, hasnt yet bulked up, has good wheels, excellent offensive skills. 30-30 guy for Buffalo if it all turns out well.

7. Teräväinen
Valtteri Filppula-clone. Will not be as good overall player but his offensive skill set could be better. But please, move him to wing, permanently.

8. Saarela
Could be better than Armia,Teräväinen or even Granlund. Who knows. Already physically mature, could grow couple of cm´s still. 1st rounder at this point for sure.

All of these guys should have NHL-potential, no question about it. The rest of the players (Pokka, Salomäki, Granlund, Lehkonen or even Kapanen).. I´m not too convinced, at least yet.

I like Kasperi Kapanen more than Saarela. Saarela is younger and more mature player for sure but he is already very well developed. He isn't dynamic or he doesen't posess anything special to me. He is bulky but still short, his skating is very good but his speed isn't that great neither is his explosiveness. His shot is elite and he is very smart player.

Kasperi Kapanen in the other hand isn't very mature yet but he is very dynamic. Elite speed, explosive, great hands, excellent shot. He developed with huge leaps last year. Kasperi Kapanen can give big hits and his defensive game is developing. But the biggest thing that he is still growing he is probably 6'0 now.

Saarela might be more sure thing but i see Kapanen as a player with higher ceiling and potential to be extremely good prospect.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Do you guys think that Puljujarvi is a better prospect than Saarela? I asked awhile back in the 2016 NHL draft prospects thread if Puljujarvi was possible better or had more potential than Saarela, how do they compare?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Do you guys think that Puljujarvi is a better prospect than Saarela? I asked awhile back in the 2016 NHL draft prospects thread if Puljujarvi was possible better or had more potential than Saarela, how do they compare?

Might be best that we just say that they are different. Puljujärvi is a big scoring winger, while Saarela impacts the game a bit more comprehensively.

Saarela is older, more polished and plays a well-rounded game, he might be a safer bet at this point. Lack of height is a bit of a drawback for him and that might be the only aspect where Puljujärvi has a clear advantage at the moment.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

1. Barkov

2. Puljujärvi

Should not be that high. Honorable mention at most, but after barkov? No way in hell, unless he hasn't done something truly magical, which cannot be the situation, if he will playing A juniors. Way too high. K. Kapanen has been convicting and already got alot done, unlike Puljujärvi. Kasper should be waaaay higher than him. :shakehead

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Should not be that high. Honorable mention at most, but after barkov? No way in hell, unless he hasn't done something truly magical, which cannot be the situation, if he will playing A juniors. Way too high. K. Kapanen has been convicting and already got alot done, unlike Puljujärvi. Kasper should be waaaay higher than him. :shakehead

Of course he will be playing in A-juniors because sm-liiga doesn't allow players who are still in 9th grade to be full time pro players (like Saarela last year.)
Puljujärvi also has much better stats in b- and c juniors than Kapanen does. This is pretty silly to compare 17 to 20 year old pro players to a kid who still is in elementary school.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Of course he will be playing in A-juniors because sm-liiga doesn't allow players who are still in 9th grade to be full time pro players (like Saarela last year.)
Puljujärvi also has much better stats in b- and c juniors than Kapanen does. This is pretty silly to compare 17 to 20 year old pro players to a kid who still is in elementary school.

I don't think stat's at those point are enough to raise him among Barkov and others. I think we have to wait if he can break into SM-Liiga when it's possible and see then what he can do. I don't rank succes in Finnish C-juniors or B that high, I mean putting him up there with 1st round picks already..

E:

Obviously hope the best for the kid anyway. Just think that it's easier to dominate those junior series with size and muscle difference thay you have over other players. Let's see when he plays against strong players.

Last edited:

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think stat's at those point are enough to raise him among Barkov and others. I think we have to wait if he can break into SM-Liiga when it's possible and see then what he can do. I don't rank succes in Finnish C-juniors or B that high, I mean putting him up there with 1st round picks already..

E:

Obviously hope the best for the kid anyway. Just think that it's easier to dominate those junior series with size and muscle difference thay you have over other players. Let's see when he plays against strong players.

Understand your point, but based on pure potential, this kid is right up there with basically anybody from Finland. Being 187cm helps thats for sure, but he isnt a player that who dominates because of his size.

I just hope they dont force him to be a 2-way player. Just let him do his thing.

Same goes with Patrik Laine.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007

1. Barkov

2. Puljujärvi

3. Ristolainen

4. Granlund

5. Määttä

6. Armia

7. Teräväinen

8. Saarela

2 years forward.. Puljujärvi seems to be at that spot still, Saarela/Armia, not so much. Otherwise quite close I guess?

jka*

Top-six:

Barkov
Vatanen
Granlund
Teräväinen
Räsänen
Määttä

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad