Ranking the NHL's GMs

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Nice list. Id separate 30, 31 from the rest of it though. The craptitude of bergevin and chiarelli is next level awful. The saddest thing is neither of these two idiots will get fired any time soon. Oh another blunder by chiarelli....he passed on mcdavids teammate Alex debrincat to take Tyler Benson...only because he was a local kid from the dub that happened to be one of the most injury prone players in the entire draft.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Great list
As a note, I'm not sure you should hold the lack of trades against Cheveldayoff. He hasn't made many, but made one awesome blockbuster (Kane/Bogosian/Kasdorf for Armia/Stafford/Myers/Lemieux/Roslovic) and some good deadline pickups in preparation for our one playoff push. Perreault was also an outstanding signing off of Anaheim's discard pile.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Hextall - PHI (The Flyers can actually draft now! Philly fans rave about Hextall's drafting prowess, and for good reason -- this team is full of good prospects. Sanheim, Frost, Rubtsov, Hart, and more populate the Flyers' system, which ranks among the NHL's best. For years, however, the Flyers' biggest issue has been in net, but the Brian Elliott signing was supposed to change that. Elliott has found limited success in Philly, but he hasn't been detrimental and the Flyers are decidedly middle-of-the-pack defensively. And wow, that Sean Couturier deal looks AMAZING given his emergence this year. Not sold on the Schenn-for-Lehtera deal, though.)

Ok,

1) Elliott has been very good when he's played. His problem has been that he's been completely overplayed by the coach.
2) Middle of the pack defensively? Boston are far and away the best D in the East, but we're the fourth best in a high scoring division.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Guys like Blake and Botterill shouldn't be ranked. Not enough info to evaluate them.

As a Kings fan I don't really agree with your analysis of Blake. You based it on inconsequential transactions. If you're going to mention such minor moves you should also mention that he landed a couple college UFA's in Iafallo and Peterson. One of whom is already contributing in the NHL. Signed UFA's Folin and Kuemper who have been solid. Also resigned 3 of our younger players to good contracts (Toffoli, Pearson & Forbort).

His 2017 draft looks pretty decent right now too. A lot of other GM's passed on Vilardi...

Last edited:
Reactions: BallPointHammer

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Fourth-best out of an eight-team division (and 15th-best overall) is pretty much the definition of mmiddle-of-the-pack.

So using those same standards Bowman would be ranked in the top 5 GMs last year when the Hawks had the best record in the western conference, as well as the all of the non-middle of the pack years before that?

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
1) Elliott has been very good when he's played. His problem has been that he's been completely overplayed by the coach.

just curious, how is he overplayed? 15th in minutes and 20th in shots faced doesn't seem like he's dealing with too much ice.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Bergevin and chiarelli are getting closer to milbury as one of the worst GM ever and their respective owner let them wreck some great franchises.

Why don't Lebrun, Bob, and other respected journalists write about it? Of course they won't and that's too bad

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Bergevin and chiarelli are getting closer to milbury as one of the worst GM ever and their respective owner let them wreck some great franchises.

Why don't Lebrun, Bob, and other respected journalists write about it? Of course they won't and that's too bad
They don't want to offend Oiler fans. There are certain fanbases that the media only wants to compliment.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
That's a really inaccurate statement. A post like that pretty much eliminates what you have to offer on the post.

They’ve missed the playoffs every year but one during his tenure and were swept the year they made it. And they’ve drafted 4 of 7 years inside the top 10. His tenure in WPG hasn’t been impressive to date. Just because they’re on track to make it this year doesn’t make Chevy a top 10 GM.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Flames GM hasn't won a single playoff round in his tenure there, largely coasting off Jay Feaster's draft picks, and if they miss the playoffs this year they forfeit their 1st rounder to the Islanders ... lol, he gets put into the top 10, but the Blackhawks GM who's won multiple Cups is graded way down the list.

Yeah I would say that's just a wee bit of homerism. Gaudreau contract is good for now, but don't think he and his agent will magically forget being strong armed into that deal and demand the moon next time out or go play back home in the US as a UFA.

it's a business. contract negotiations can be difficult. players understand this has do teams. I can't really think of any instances where difficult negotiation as RFA has harboured I'll will many years later which led to the player wanting out. DURING negotiation maybe. at which point they hold out. but not years later.

can you cite some examples?

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
They’ve missed the playoffs every year but one during his tenure and were swept the year they made it. And they’ve drafted 4 of 7 years inside the top 10. His tenure in WPG hasn’t been impressive to date. Just because they’re on track to make it this year doesn’t make Chevy a top 10 GM.

4 out of 7 isn't top ten for 8 years is it? Actually not even close. My post did not say he should or should not be a top 10 GM, it accurately corrected a very wrong statement.

Opinions are one thing but statements presented as factual, well they actually should be that, shouldn't they? As for Cheveldayoff at this point he doesn't need any defense, how the Jets are poised for today and the long future will speak on that. Some would say that it is quite impressive to have done a 180 on the pathetic state the team was when he was hired to today, I would completely agree.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
shero is way too high. but either way, nice post. can tell you put some thought into it and your effort is appreciated. enjoyed reading it.

Ray Shero has acquired
Taylor Hall
Sami Vatanen
Kyle Palmieri
Marcus Johansson

For:
Adam Larsson
Adam Henrique
Joseph Blandisi
2 second-round picks
2 third-round picks

He took a team in NJ with a horrible prospect pool thanks to Lou and Conte's incompetence and actually has some depth in the organization.

He helped create a team that went from worst team in the east last year, to one that was in the top 3 of the Metro for about half this season, and is currently in the first wild card spot with the same amount of points as Philly, who sits in third.

This is all while missing Schneider since Jan 23, MoJo for a good portion of the season and recently since Jan 23rd thanks to that rat f*** Marchand, and missing Palmieri and Zajac for portions of the season as well.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
4 out of 7 isn't top ten for 8 years is it? Actually not even close. My post did not say he should or should not be a top 10 GM, it accurately corrected a very wrong statement.

Opinions are one thing but statements presented as factual, well they actually should be that, shouldn't they? As for Cheveldayoff at this point he doesn't need any defense, how the Jets are poised for today and the long future will speak on that. Some would say that it is quite impressive to have done a 180 on the pathetic state the team was when he was hired to today, I would completely agree.
If building teams from pathetic state was something to give credit for to boost on this liat Tallon should not be near the end. He actually pulled that off twice until front office strife took him out of the role changed the team and eventually gave him back control.

This evaluation given isn't a list of the GMs based on their accomplishments and what they've done on situations.

It's more just ranking the teams outlook and cup chances for now/immediate future which seems narrow to judge a GM by.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
If building teams from pathetic state was something to give credit for to boost on this liat Tallon should not be near the end. He actually pulled that off twice until front office strife took him out of the role changed the team and eventually gave him back control.

This evaluation given isn't a list of the GMs based on their accomplishments and what they've done on situations.

It's more just ranking the teams outlook and cup chances for now/immediate future which seems narrow to judge a GM by.

I would certainly agree that should be a significant part of an evaluation for ranking GM's. If it is for ranking outlook and cup chances for now/immediate future then I would think it should be different as I would say Winnipeg's outlook would be at least in the top 10. But of course that is just my opinion.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's nice to see people starting to give Sakic some credit for the ROR trade now that Zads is really coming into his own, Compher is doing nicely, and Greer is starting to break into the team as well. And though I don't expect either to end up putting it all together to become NHLers, Morrison & Smirnov are not without their talents. I wish we could bring ROR back to the team we have now, but how much Sakic has done with those two ROR & Duchene trades has had a profound impact on this franchise...especially since the upgrades to the scouting staff.

If he can either hit on another treasure trove of shiny futures for Barrie...or even better, use him & some of our nice pieces to get a young stud forward...then whether he knows how to put the pieces together or not he'll have laid the foundation for this team to become an absolute delight around MacKinnon.

So all in all his ranking seems fair; since he must bare some of the blame for the mutual Roykic decisions and his patience/trigger-shyness was a big part of why Roy grew frustrated being blamed for the substandard team he was trying to compete with; which prompted him to leave on the eve of the season, which started that whole catastraf***. But this Avs fan is deeply grateful for the impact he's had on the future of this organization, whether he's the one to see it to completion or someone else needs to eventually come in to push his efforts over the top.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
31 is way too high for Chiarelli. Unlike other GMs who just make bad trades, Chiarelli makes earth rending franchise crippling trades. And the Oilers had to give up a 2nd round pick to get this moron from Boston. The Bruins owe us a 1st round pick for taking this pile of trash off their hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad