Ranking the MVP Seasons Since 2000 (#4)

Which MVP season was the most impressive?

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
2016 Kane outscored a prime/27 year old Crosby by 17 points and came in 4 goals behind Ovy for the goal scoring lead. Won the Hart in a landslide and had a 19 game point streak. Just absolute dominance that year.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Who keeps voting for Crosby '07? Theres at least a few more I would vote before that season. Less than 50% of Crosby's points that season came from 5v5

Reactions: Voight

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
2016 Kane outscored a prime/27 year old Crosby by 17 points and came in 4 goals behind Ovy for the goal scoring lead. Won the Hart in a landslide and had a 19 game point streak. Just absolute dominance that year.
I think people overrate the importance of the gap to the 2nd place player. Had Connor McDavid been born literally one year earlier he most likely would've had ~100 points that season. Would that diminish Kane's accomplishments? Of course not. Some players just get tougher competition than others and people should look deeper into that.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think people overrate the importance of the gap to the 2nd place player. Had Connor McDavid been born literally one year earlier he most likely would've had ~100 points that season. Would that diminish Kane's accomplishments? Of course not. Some players just get tougher competition than others and people should look deeper into that.

It shows how far ahead you are relative to your peers.

As for tougher competition - all of Kanes peers except Malkin were healthy that year. He was also the only player to hit 100 points and nobody else came close to 100.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It shows how far ahead you are relative to your peers.

As for tougher competition - all of Kanes peers except Malkin were healthy that year. He was also the only player to hit 100 points and nobody else came close to 100.

It's not always health though. There was a definite lull at the top for competition outside for a couple years from around 13-14 to 16-17 outside of Crosby, Kane and McDavid's Art Ross seasons.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I know its weird. Hell, Crosby was way better last year (18-19) than he was in 06-07

I wouldn't say much better. Crosby's '07 was a bit inflated by PP secondaries, but his 5v5 scoring was limited by lower ice time due to the PPOs. He only played 14:41 per game at ES, so he was still over 3 P/60 at ES.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Who keeps voting for Crosby '07? Theres at least a few more I would vote before that season. Less than 50% of Crosby's points that season came from 5v5

5v5 scoring is overrated. A point is a point - that's all that counts.

There may be some merit in saying 5v5 scoring is generally more prone to be consistent year to year as power play opportunities can fluctuate - but that really only matters when trying to predict future seasons. For a season that a;ready happened - 120 points is 120 points, whether they're all power play points, all 5v5 points, or some other breakdown.

I do think Kucherov's season was better - but probably have Crosby next

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Lol at ppl voting at Croaby '07. Just shows how biassed this board is towards him. Honestly, he becomes more and more overrated ( Top 5 players of all time etc.) It wasn't even the guy's best season lol, let alone vs other players. After Kuch, It should be Ovy 09 pretty easily. Crosby '10 and '14 were better than '07

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I went with Kucherow, he was on his own that entire year...
But I still remember how dominant Pronger was in 1999-2000. For a defenseman to win HART means that he was in an other time zone

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
5v5 scoring is overrated. A point is a point - that's all that counts.

There may be some merit in saying 5v5 scoring is generally more prone to be consistent year to year as power play opportunities can fluctuate - but that really only matters when trying to predict future seasons. For a season that a;ready happened - 120 points is 120 points, whether they're all power play points, all 5v5 points, or some other breakdown.

I do think Kucherov's season was better - but probably have Crosby next
How so? 5v5 tends to be more reflective of impact since a good power-play or not has a lot more to do with coaching and system than 5v5 play.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There are people who believe that Draisaitl shouldn’t win the Hart this year. Then there’s also people who vote Kucherov’s Hart year as 4th most impressive since 2000. They had nearly identical years.

Funny how that works.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How so? 5v5 tends to be more reflective of impact since a good power-play or not has a lot more to do with coaching and system than 5v5 play.

I'm not sure i understand your question. How so? It seems obvious - a point is a point. It's as important and valuable whether scored on power play, 5v5 or pk.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There are people who believe that Draisaitl shouldn’t win the Hart this year. Then there’s also people who vote Kucherov’s Hart year as 4th most impressive since 2000. They had nearly identical years.

Funny how that works.

Or, you know, "people" isn't one same person, and made up of people full of different opinions.
Kucherov got just as much flack as Drai if not more last year. "it's all in the team, etc".

Both had great seasons, both will end up with a hart/ross/lindsay combo, and both are fully deserving. Both will also continue to have critics

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I'm not sure i understand your question. How so? It seems obvious - a point is a point. It's as important and valuable whether scored on power play, 5v5 or pk.
Okay but that is a team reward, whereas there is more value to what a player does iin 5v5 vs coaching. You did nothing to address anything I said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad