ranking the best hockey leagues

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
This is the ranking I came up with for the best pro hockey leagues in the world as far as the quality of play and players. What do you guys think?
1 Nhl
2 Ahl
3 Khl
4 SHL
5 Liiga
6 Del
7 National league a
8 Czech Extraliga
9 Ice hockey league (Austria)
11 echl and Hockeyallsvenskan tied
12 eihl
13 vhl

Last edited:

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I think right now it would be something like this:

1. NHL
2. KHL
3. AHL
4. SHL
5. National League A
6. Czech Extraliga
7. Liiga or Del
8. Del or Liiga
9. Austrian League (Ice hockey league?)
10. Allsvenskan
11. EIHL (I really dont know whats the level of this league, just came to mind. Some good showings lately at CHL though)

Del and Liiga could be either way. Usually I like to think that Liiga is stronger because as a whole Finland is much stronger as a hockey nation. But there has been many times, Del teams have beat the shit out of Liiga teams. The hardest part for me is to fit the AHL in line, so I guess its the third...

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
1. NHL
2. KHL
3. SHL
4. AHL
5. National League
6. DEL
7. Liiga
8. Allsvenskan / Extraliga
9. Extraliga / Allsvenskan
10. Austria

Allsvenskan and the Extraliga isn’t far off the Liiga and DEL

Reactions: SpitfireG

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Players that leave the AHL for Europe do so because they couldn't make the NHL. The AHL is just a farm league where not many want to play for any longer than necessary.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
1. NHL

2. KHL
3. AHL
4. SHL
5. Liiga
6. NLA
7. DEL
8. Extraliga

9. EBEL
10. Extraliga(SVK)

Last edited:

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
1. NHL
2. KHL
3. SHL
5. NLA / Liiga / AHL (It's hard to compare the European top leagues to the AHL, but I'd take both, Liiga and NLA, over the AHL)
7. Extraliga
8. DEL
9. ICE (Austria)

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
I think you need to discuss KHL, SHL and AHL a little differently.

I agree the best players are in the KHL, but KHL also contains the worst players in this comparison.

The worst players in SHL would probably haver a decent shot in the KHL if they had the right nationality. There are many, many teams in KHL and that makes way for 32 belarus players, 26 Kazakh players and 22 Latvians.

There is NO WAY these 80 players would get a contract in SHL or AHL. Perhaps 10 of them could go to AHL and perhaps 15 to AHL? Maybe 20? At least 40 of them wouldn't even get a second look.

Since there's only 14 SHL teams there are also a whole bunch of AHL players who can't get a contract in SHL, and as such I would state that SHL probably plays at he highest general level with KHL and AHL being different in the playing style and KHL with the highest top level but also the worst bottom level.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
This is the ranking I came up with for the best pro hockey leagues in the world as far as the quality of play and players. What do you guys think?
1 Nhl
2 Ahl
3 Khl
4 SHL
5 Liiga
6 Del
7 National league a
8 Czech Extraliga
12 eihl
13 vhl

1. NHL.
2. KHL
3.SHL-Sweden
4. AHL
5 Liiga-Finland
6. Czech Extraliga
7 DEL-Germany
8. NLA-Switzerland
9. Slovak tipsport liga
10. EBEL- Austrian league
11. BXL Belarusian league
12. Fjordkraft ligaen-Norway
13. Allsvenskan-Sweden level 2.
14. EIHL- England
15 Denmark- Metalligaen
16. Ligue Magnus-France

*Comment: Under is the performance from the diffrent leagues in European champions league. I think the swiss league is not that good beacause of the strict restrictions on how many foreign players they can use. The Czezh extraliga produce better national players than switzerland, and the german league DEL also have no restriction on foreign players making their league better. I also think that the norwegian fjordkraftligaen have surpassed allsvenskan(Sweden level 2) the later years.

upload_2021-1-19_18-31-54.png

Reactions: salamandra

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think the swiss league is not that good beacause of the strict restrictions on how many foreign players they can use. The Czezh extraliga produce better national players than switzerland, and the german league DEL also have no restriction on foreign players making their league better.

Some leagues may produce better players, sure, but it's worth minding that the best Swiss players aren't going anywhere except the NHL. On the other hand Czech players like Červenka, Sobotka, and Kovář play in Switzerland instead of the Czech league. Others go to the KHL and so on. Finland has likewise already collapsed because of this dynamic, most of the talent just leaves for greener pastures.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
1. NHL.
2. KHL
3.SHL-Sweden
4. AHL
5 Liiga-Finland
6. Czech Extraliga
7 DEL-Germany
8. NLA-Switzerland
9. Slovak tipsport liga
10. EBEL- Austrian league
11. BXL Belarusian league
12. Fjordkraft ligaen-Norway
13. Allsvenskan-Sweden level 2.
14. EIHL- England
15 Denmark- Metalligaen
16. Ligue Magnus-France

*Comment: Under is the performance from the diffrent leagues in European champions league. I think the swiss league is not that good beacause of the strict restrictions on how many foreign players they can use. The Czezh extraliga produce better national players than switzerland, and the german league DEL also have no restriction on foreign players making their league better. I also think that the norwegian fjordkraftligaen have surpassed allsvenskan(Sweden level 2) the later years.

View attachment 385804
This Ranking(Attachment) isn t current. The Liiga is relapsed behind NLA and DEL.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
1 Nhl
2 Ahl
3 Khl
4 SHL
5 Liiga
6 Del
7 National league a
8 Czech Extraliga
12 eihl
13 vhl

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

1 NHL
2 KHL
3 SHL
4 Liiga
5 NLA
6 AHL
7 DEL/Extra
8 Allsvenskan
9 Austria
10 Norway/Denmark
11 Rest are not pro leagues.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1 Nhl
2 Ahl
3 Khl
4 SHL
5 Liiga
6 Del
7 National league a
8 Czech Extraliga
12 eihl
13 vhl
I think I would account for ties because some are really splitting hairs.

1. NHL - zero question
2. AHL - I agree, many don't. My argument hasn't changed on this.. most NHL Dmen and Goalies were in the AHL before the NHL.
3. KHL - zero argument
4. SEL - zero argument
5 to 8 - they are tied as they all have some great qualities and some not so great qualities.
9. Swedish 2 - sorry, can't remember name of it but it has some great players and draft picks

Pawel Cichy

Oct 8, 2021
ranking of European hockey leagues 2019-2020:
KHL - 4 547 pkt
SWE - 4 368 pkt
FIN - 4 015 pkt
GER - 3 822 pkt
CZE - 3 815 pkt
SUI - 3 718 pkt
AUT - 1 974 pkt
SWE II - 1 862 pkt
SVK - 1 400 pkt
CZE II - 1 227 pkt
VHL - 1 224 pkt
SUI II - 1 223 pkt
NOR - 1 145 pkt
GBR - 1 116 pkt
BLR - 1 068 pkt
GER II - 954 pkt
FRA - 932 pkt
DEN - 881 pkt
POL - 804 pkt
SWE III - 801 pkt
KAZ - 787 pkt
HUN/ROU - 768 pkt
FIN II - 768 pkt
ALP - 761 pkt
UKR - 747 pkt

Last edited:

Pawel Cichy

Oct 8, 2021
Whatever methods were used here I seriously question their validity.

8 the best league in europe:
1. KHL (teams: 19rus, 1fin, 1kaz, 1blr, 1lat, 1chn) - nr.1 it's obvious
2. SHL (swe) - nr.2 it's obvious
3-6. Liiga (fin), DEL (ger), Extraliga (cze), National League (sui) - 4 leagues at a similar level
7. ICE (teams: 8aut, 2ita, 1hun, 1slo, 1cze, 1svk) - nr.7 it's obvious
8. Extraliga (svk)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I can appreciate Finland and Germany having a roughly similar level, but between Switzerland and Czechia it's not really close enough for a debate.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Switzerland is comfortably ahead of Germany and Finland, Czechia in turn decidedly behind the two. I see Germany at least somewhat above Finland by now in part because the 15-team Liiga expansion has been a disaster. The Czech league has trouble holding to local talent and is not attractive to foreigners, although to a certain extent that applies to Finland as well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Switzerland is comfortably ahead of Germany and Finland, Czechia in turn decidedly behind the two. I see Germany at least somewhat above Finland by now in part because the 15-team Liiga expansion has been a disaster. The Czech league has trouble holding to local talent and is not attractive to foreigners, although to a certain extent that applies to Finland as well.
I think it has to be tiered...

KHL
SEL
Finn, Swiss, Czech, German

Also, when you count the German league.. it is a good league but most of its best players are not German. The Swiss league is also led by foreigners. Czech and Finn league are, for the most part, led by Czechs and Finns. In fact, 2 of the Top 5 scorers in the Swiss league were Czech last year.

Having said that.. Extraliga needs to fix and change things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad