Ranking the best defense (after the big three nations)

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
How would you rank the power-level among the top countries at defense right now after Canada, Sweden and USA?

Russia:

Sergachev-Provorov
Orlov-Zadorov
Zaitsev-Kulikov
Gavrikov

Finland:

Heiskanen-Lindell
Ristolainen-Vatanen
Määttä-Jokiharju
Välimäki

Czech Republic:

Hronek-Kempny
Gudas-Rutta
Polak-Simek
Sustr

Slovakia:

Chara-Cernak
Sekera-Jaros
Marincin-Fehervary
Cajkovsky

Switzerland:

Josi-Sbisa
Mueller-Weber
Kukan-Siegenthaler
Streit

To increase my international hockey knowledge I would also appreciate your comments on what the ideal D-roster of your country would look like right now.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Two horse race. I think Russia has the best overall group, but Heiskanen has the potential to be the greatest difference maker in a short tournament.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Two horse race. I think Russia has the best overall group, but Heiskanen has the potential to be the greatest difference maker in a short tournament.
Finland has a better defense!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hronek-Kempny
Gudas-Rutta
Polak-Simek
Sustr

I'm not trying to be difficult. You said 'right now'. Kempny is out for most the season (Achilles which is not an easy injury to recover from). Polak is retired from the national team and not an option. Simek is temporarily injured.

Our D would be something like:
Gudas-Hronek
Simek- Zboril
Hajek-Rutta
Masin

FTR.. don't know which hands these guys are.

Bring back a healthy and good Kempny would make it better for sure.

Reactions: IceHockeyDude

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
To the actual question... Russia and Finland are on a higher level. I'd go with Finn's because Heiskanan is that damn good. Juolevi is finally in the NHL and I'm a big Vatanan fan but I'm in no position to argue about Finnish rosters.

After that it is Swizzterland.. not as deep as Czechs but we don't have anything like a Josi (maybe Hronek one day!).

I'd say there is no argument that Slovakia has had better D than the Czechs in the last 20 years but Sekera and Chara are very close to being done and there isn't much right now. Cernak is awesome and then it's a gap.

Reactions: Lambo

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Russia:

Sergachev-Provorov
Orlov-Zadorov
Zaitsev-Kulikov
Gavrikov

Finland:

Heiskanen-Lindell
Ristolainen-Vatanen
Määttä-Jokiharju
Välimäki

I personally wouldn't exclude Gavrikov, he'd be their #4D. I'd also like to see someone like Nutivaara or maybe even Lehtonen in over Jokiharju if it were to happen today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad