The Athletic - Boston Ranking the 8 opponents the Bruins could face in the first playoff round

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
After the Bruins get through the round-robin format when the NHL resumes its season, no matter where they’re seeded, any of the potential opponents will create their fair share of challenges.

At the time of the NHL’s pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic on March 12, the Bruins had built the necessary momentum for the stretch run and were gearing up for the playoffs as the best team in the league.

Well, that’s all changed. Yes, the Bruins still have the experience, veteran leadership, offensive power, solid defense and elite goaltending tandem to produce a deep playoff run, but it will be a more even playing field once games resume. The biggest issue for Boston will be how quickly the players can find their legs, reignite their game and regain that chemistry in order to embark on another trek to the Stanley Cup Final.

First, the Bruins, Capitals, Lightning and Flyers will participate in the Eastern Conference’s round-robin format, which will serve as a good warm-up scenario for all four teams.

After that, there are many questions and uncertainties as to how the rest of the postseason will play out given the unique circumstances.

Here are the potential first-round matchups for the Bruins, ranked in order of the challenges they present for Boston.

Ranking the 8 opponents the Bruins could face in the first...

1. New York Rangers

This one is interesting. Despite their record — their 79 points are the second-lowest (to Montreal) among this group — the Rangers will be a dangerous team and could be the most challenging foe for the Bruins.

2. Columbus Blue Jackets

The Bruins experienced first-hand last spring that Columbus is a big, strong, fast and heavy team. Columbus gave everything it had against the Bruins last postseason, but Boston turned out to be the better team. Now, the Blue Jackets are healthy and have Seth Jones, considered one of the best defensemen in the league, ready to go.

3. Pittsburgh Penguins

As good as the Bruins are down the middle, the Penguins have Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin as the Nos. 1 and 2 centers. Matchups could be an issue for the Bruins and that’s why it could come down to the third and fourth lines for each team to decide the winner. Pittsburgh has scoring power, and like every other team, the Penguins appear healthy for now, with the exception of forward Nick Bjugstad, who has been ruled out for the remainder of the season with a lower-body injury.

4. New York Islanders

This could be the surprise horse in the playoff race. The Islanders play hard and can score in numerous ways. They have the ability to play different styles and have proven to be a motivated team. Depth could be an issue, but if they’re healthy on the back end, they defend extremely well and with a purpose. If the goaltending tandem between Semyon Varlamov and Thomas Greiss can hold up it could be the X-factor for the Islanders.

5. Florida Panthers

The Panthers have offensive firepower, and if goalie Sergei Bobrovsky returns in top form, Florida could be a problem for many teams, including Boston. Fortunately for the Bruins, they found a way to beat Bobrovsky last spring while he was playing for the Blue Jackets. No doubt that will be on both teams’ minds.

6. Carolina Hurricanes

The Hurricanes are an extremely skilled and fast team. Carolina’s biggest issue continues to be its goaltending and lack of consistency between Petr Mrazek and James Reimer. Carolina is not a heavy squad and it showed during the Eastern Conference final last spring when the Bruins finished with a four-game sweep.

7. Montreal Canadiens

Montreal has skill up front, but the Canadiens are overall not a big, strong, physical team. There are holes in the lineup, including lack of depth at forward. Defensively there are holes, too. Fortunately, they have a guy named Carey Price between the pipes and he’s the type of goalie who will benefit from the extended layoff in order to get healthy. No doubt Price can steal a series, or two, or three, or even the Cup given his ability. If he stands on his head then it will be tough for any team to beat Montreal. Plus, coach Claude Julien would have his team motivated to beat his former organization.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs

The team is still dealing with a stigma. Its inability to produce a deep run in the playoffs has haunted Toronto and that’s not likely to change this season. The Maple Leafs lack physicality and heaviness in their game and that’s a must-have quality in the postseason. While they’re not a strong defensive team, they have the ability to run-and-gun and beat you on special teams. But the Bruins are in Toronto’s head and under its skin thanks to the events of the last few seasons. Nothing will change this summer if this heated rivalry is rekindled.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't agree with those rankings at all. I'd say:

1. Penguins - Veteran team that knows how to win, a lot of firepower. Should get a nice little warm-up in to get the old legs going if they beat Montreal.
2. Hurricanes - Goaltending is a question mark, but to me they're easily the most well-constructed roster of any of these teams, and will get a boost with guys coming back from injury. Bruins dominated them last year, but that was also good experience for them.
3. Maple Leafs - They get a bump because I think the young legs come back quickly. They're such a flawed team, but they still have firepower up front you really have to watch.
4. Canadiens - I think their top line has a better chance to neutralize our top line more than any other team in the league in a 7-game series. They're weak outside of that though. It is the Canadiens though.
5. Rangers - A lot of wild cards on this team with Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox and the goalie situation. They're super inexperienced though.
6. Panthers - Bob could realistically get hot even if he's been awful this year. That being said, they're horrendous defensively.
7. Blue Jackets - That's a lot of firepower lost from last year. Even if they're a well coached and structured team, I don't think they have the guns to run with us.
8. Islanders - I think stylistically the Bruins match up excellent with them. They can frustrate teams with their defensive structure, but the Bruins can do that more so, and have waaaaaaaaaaay more fire power.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

1. Penguins - Veteran team that knows how to win, a lot of firepower. Should get a nice little warm-up in to get the old legs going if they beat Montreal.
2. Hurricanes - Goaltending is a question mark, but to me they're easily the most well-constructed roster of any of these teams, and will get a boost with guys coming back from injury. Bruins dominated them last year, but that was also good experience for them.
3. Maple Leafs - They get a bump because I think the young legs come back quickly. They're such a flawed team, but they still have firepower up front you really have to watch.
4. Canadiens - I think their top line has a better chance to neutralize our top line more than any other team in the league in a 7-game series. They're weak outside of that though. It is the Canadiens though.
5. Rangers - A lot of wild cards on this team with Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox and the goalie situation. They're super inexperienced though.
6. Panthers - Bob could realistically get hot even if he's been awful this year. That being said, they're horrendous defensively.
7. Blue Jackets - That's a lot of firepower lost from last year. Even if they're a well coached and structured team, I don't think they have the guns to run with us.
8. Islanders - I think stylistically the Bruins match up excellent with them. They can frustrate teams with their defensive structure, but the Bruins can do that more so, and have waaaaaaaaaaay more fire power.

I’d probably switch NYR with MTL but honestly, with our playoff history vs the Habs it’s tough.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Just looking at the head to head match-ups this year:

Opp
Record
Goal Diff
PIT​
2-1-0​
+4​
CAR​
1-0-0​
+2​
TOR​
2-0-1​
+3​
MTL​
3-1-0​
+11​
NYR​
3-0-0​
+6​
FLA​
2-0-1​
+2​
CBJ​
0-1-1​
-3​
NYI​
2-0-1​
+4​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
wish they let you pick your opponent... a lot of people say its inviting disaster.

what?

if you feel that way... when its your turn to pick... say you are just taking the team that is there. you arent changing anything. if you cant make a pick then dont pick. thats ok

but for anyone with balls... then it would be nice to pick your opponent and it would make the regular season slightly more meaningful. dumb luck can easily stick you with the hardest opponent even when they are 8th seed and you are 1st seed.

for the record if I could pick an opponent for boston id pick toronto

my absolutely last choice is montreal. I watched our team self destruct to those guys at least a dozen times in my life... montreal will ALWAYS be our worst matchup

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just looking at the head to head match-ups this year:

Opp
Record
Goal Diff
PIT​
2-1-0​
+4​
CAR​
1-0-0​
+2​
TOR​
2-0-1​
+3​
MTL​
3-1-0​
+11​
NYR​
3-0-0​
+6​
FLA​
2-0-1​
+2​
CBJ​
0-1-1​
-3​
NYI​
2-0-1​
+4​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

in other words, f***ing bring it!

I may have mentioned this before; my little league baseball coach used to ask us “who we playing today?” And if we didn’t reply “it doesn’t matter!” We ran laps. No joke.

Reactions: BMC

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Jackets for me, I actually think their better than they were last season even with the players departed. Played the Bruins hard this year too. Underrated team

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
wish they let you pick your opponent... a lot of people say its inviting disaster.

what?

if you feel that way... when its your turn to pick... say you are just taking the team that is there. you arent changing anything. if you cant make a pick then dont pick. thats ok

but for anyone with balls... then it would be nice to pick your opponent and it would make the regular season slightly more meaningful. dumb luck can easily stick you with the hardest opponent even when they are 8th seed and you are 1st seed.

for the record if I could pick an opponent for boston id pick toronto

my absolutely last choice is montreal. I watched our team self destruct to those guys at least a dozen times in my life... montreal will ALWAYS be our worst matchup

What if the team that "you" pick, the one that you would've gotten anyway is gone? If say the Bruins picked Toronto, it would give the Leafs coaching staff fodder for their bulletin board to say "look, the Bruins think that we're push-overs because they picked us" etc. It would just give the chosen team added incentive to fight harder and to want to win. It would never happen anyway so it's a moot cause for concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussie Bruin

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Teams that concern me: CBJ, Rangers, Pittsburgh

Teams I'm not too worried about: Montreal, Carolina, Islanders, Florida

Toronto is a crap shoot IMO. All season they fluctuated between being an offensive world beater and a totally mediocre team. It's hard to say with them.

Montreal sucks guys. I know we've had issues with them in the past but we have Pasta now who scored 2 hat tricks against them this year.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
While I'm thrilled to be getting hockey back I am concerned this is not going to turn out well for the Bruins. Yes they were the best & hottest team before the lockdown but that was then and this is now. Our core is older and it could take them longer to get their timing & skating back, more time than they have in order to advance in this format. OTOH the core has had time to rest & heal (looking at you Patrice Bergeron) so that is a plus.

I don't want to play Montreal- they have zero right to be in based on their record. They've also got Claude Julien behind the bench. If Price heats up well you know our playoff history with those bastards, one heart break after another.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I would move Toronto way up the list. We may be in their head but Montreal was in Boston’s head Right until we beat them in 2011 on our way to the cup.

Scariest opponents are always those that have something to prove and on that list Pittsburgh (2013 sweep w/ multiple SOs), Toronto (2013, 2018, 2019 all needing 7 games) Carolina (2019 sweep), Columbus (2019 tough series with high expectations after sweeping TB). I think all of these teams would love nothing more than to exorcise some demons.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I couldn't possibly rank the teams, because who the heck knows what any of the 24 playoff teams are when they re-start in the middle of the summer after a 16-20 week break. Some players who get worn down as the season progresses will benefit from the break, same as some players who typically take longer to get their game up to par will be challenged to jump right into meaningful games.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

This is pretty good.

The Penguins and Leafs are the most talented teams. Sure, the Bs have handled the Leafs in the playoffs, but just barely. Yes, the Canes can be dangerous.

Islanders seem to belong at the bottom, they don't matchup well, as you said.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I couldn't possibly rank the teams, because who the heck knows what any of the 24 playoff teams are when they re-start in the middle of the summer after a 16-20 week break. Some players who get worn down as the season progresses will benefit from the break, same as some players who typically take longer to get their game up to par will be challenged to jump right into meaningful games.

Good point.

Reactions: BruinDust

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What if the team that "you" pick, the one that you would've gotten anyway is gone? If say the Bruins picked Toronto, it would give the Leafs coaching staff fodder for their bulletin board to say "look, the Bruins think that we're push-overs because they picked us" etc. It would just give the chosen team added incentive to fight harder and to want to win. It would never happen anyway so it's a moot cause for concern.

If you are too worried giving the other team bulleton board then draw boxes on a farm field and let a cow poop

Announce you didnt care less and your opponent was cowcrap

Or suck it up and take the opponent best suited for you and beat them

These are grown men making a million dollars playing a childs game. If their fragile egos are the only thing motivating them to try at playoffs then i can no longer be a fan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If you are too worried giving the other team bulleton board then draw boxes on a farm field and let a cow poop

Announce you didnt care less and your opponent was cowcrap

Or suck it up and take the opponent best suited for you and beat them

These are grown men making a million dollars playing a childs game. If their fragile egos are the only thing motivating them to try at playoffs then i can no longer be a fan

Was hockey ever a child's game?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I was rooting for the Islanders for awhile. They're like the Bruins' little brother. Same style but not as good. I think it would also be the best team to prepare the Bruins for the next few rounds because both teams would be trying to play a tight-checking style.

Reactions: BMC

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
You can take all these rankings and throw them out the window, means nothing.
The season is starting over now.
The team with the HOT goalie and the team that can stay healthy will advance, plain and simple.
I see a ton of players getting injured the first 1-2 weeks of playing in high level playoff games.
Tons of groin injuries coming, wait and see.
I think we have a great chance to get to the finals as long was we can score 3 goals a game or more.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Was hockey ever a child's game?

where I come from the kids after school would gather together and pick sides... play some football or baseball... some soccor… and even at times, some hockey. occasionally a few of the local adults would get together and play some game and drink some beer.

no one ever paid us million dollars or filled 1000 seats to watch us play but we developed a love of this activity and we... we became fans... and we decided we would support a professional version of this behavior. we would watch the very best among us play these games we ourselves played. and we would let those people earn a lot of money as long as they proved they were the best and proved worthy of our time watching and cheering

a bargain was made. they would play our children game at a professional level. and we would compensate them with money for entertaining us

Reactions: Blinny

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Ranking the Leafs last is asking for trouble. The Bruins are better than them in just about every area but the gap is not massive and whatever troubles the Leafs have had over the past season, as others have said pretty much everything resets now. I don't think anything can fix their weak defense but one of Toronto's usual problems come PO time is that Andersen is already burned out. Well he won't be this time - a fresh Andersen on a hot streak plus some early form on the part of their undoubted offensive assets and they just might do some real damage.

Otherwise everyone has their potential dangers. I'd be surprised if the Habs could go with us or any other top team over a long multi-game series, but even then get a couple of early wins and you never know what might happen. The Panthers are a bit flaky, especially in their own zone, but they do have the Coach Q factor. That guy knows how to win PO series. The Pens are the most well-rounded team on the list and feel as though they'll be very hungry for another deep run after being swept and embarrassed in the first round last year.

Bottom line though is that the Bruins can beat any of them and, while I'm not really keen on yet another Leafs series, I don't particularly care who they face. Will just be great to have some hockey back, IF this whole format does indeed get off the ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad