Ranking On Roster Defenseman #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I might have to vote Merrill.

But I think it's trouble if he's our fourth best defenseman, unless he drastically improves from the last two seasons.

Merrill and Moore are pretty much a toss up for me.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

But I think it's trouble if he's our fourth best defenseman, unless he drastically improves from the last two seasons.

Between the two of them I like Moore. He has more offense to his game, and he steps it up in overtime. I don't know what Merrill's niche is.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Went Santini. I hope Merrill can impress, but I would not be surprised if he is not in the lineup at all come mid season. Whether that be from poor play or injury.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Clearly not Moore. Merrill has shown nothing so far. He is 25. Time to call it a day.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Clearly not Moore. Merrill has shown nothing so far. He is 25. Time to call it a day.

He's 24 and has 165 games played, so I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet. If he doesn't show signs of improvement this year then I think he probably is what he is.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

And replace him with who? Another 25 year old that sucks even worse? Like Gormley or Helgeson?

Cause that's exactly who would be taking his spot.:help:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For what it's worth, I do think Gormley could potentially be better than Merrill. And he's also only played 58 career games so far in the NHL.

So I think his ceiling is higher than Merrill's, even still to this point. But I feel like Merrill is at least a #6 NHL defenseman.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Moore since he is more established than the rest. Thats the sad state of our D.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr

Well you can say the same for Severson at #2 or Lovejoy at #3. Severson is still very unproven even if potential is there, and Lovejoy is ideally more of a third pair defenseman.

Frankly, our defense is worrisome. Especially knowing that Greene is 34 next month and will start to slowly regress in the next few years, we will absolutely need Severson to blossom into a good top-4 and the "still fairly young" Moore/Merrill to take the next step. Also of course if Santini can establish himself as an NHLer, that would help.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Between the two of them I like Moore. He has more offense to his game, and he steps it up in overtime. I don't know what Merrill's niche is.

That's basically what it comes down to for me.

Moore's offense is (currently) a plus over Merrill's defense
Moore's defense is just as awful as Merrill's offense

Well you can say the same for Severson at #2 or Lovejoy at #3. Severson is still very unproven even if potential is there, and Lovejoy is ideally more of a third pair defenseman.

Frankly, our defense is worrisome. Especially knowing that Greene is 34 next month and will start to slowly regress in the next few years, we will absolutely need Severson to blossom into a good top-4 and the "still fairly young" Moore/Merrill to take the next step. Also of course if Santini can establish himself as an NHLer, that would help.

And Josh Jacobs becomes a bit more important down the road now than he was a year ago though he is another RHD as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad