TV: Ranking of the Best HBO Shows of All Time

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Since the original list is being questioned-- A thread-making pet peeve of mine that I always come across is, when the topic is something inherently open-ended like "what is the best _____ of all time", why do thread-makers feel the need to restrict the choices to what they feel should be in contention-- it kind of defeats the purpose of asking, doesn't it? Logically speaking, shouldn't that question not be a poll at all, unless an agreeable/majority consensus was already reached? Or, if they want it to be a poll, wouldn't a more honest title be "Which is the best among these?"

I'm sure the intentions are totally sincere in this case, but doing that does seem to inherently come across like this weird cross between asking people what is the best and telling people/enforcing what is an acceptable answer.
Damn, now I need to edit my Sharee ranking system. I like flawless better than perfect anyway, I suppose.
But you're not using the same numbers anyways :p:

Don't know if it's any better, but the reason I'm playing around with it is because people kept making the "how can something be better than perfect?" complaint. Maybe flawless communicates that better (zero flaws, without necessarily actively blowing your mind/inspiring you/making you act aggressively orgasmic about it)? Maybe not.

This is for the #1 ranking though. Obviously personal taste differs, but I think you'd have a hard time making the argument that besides the omission of Band of Brothers perhaps as a replacement for Game of Thrones, there's anything that shouldn't be there if we're talking about the best HBO series.
I think it's very reasonable to argue otherwise, personally.

Last edited:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Who cares, deadwood wouldnt win anyway so who gives a ****.

It's a ridiculously stupid list as constructed, I don't care if it would win or not it's still regarded as one of the top 3 or 5 show in HBO`s pantheon. It's not for everyone but most people smarter than plant life recognizes that.

I know it's no Fear The Walking Dead

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
HBO best of alltime ,, Yet no mentions of

Tales from the Crypt
The Hitchhiker
Tracey Takes On
Arliss

I feel like sometimes people don't remember that HBO existed before Sopranos and the Wire

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
GoT is easy number 1 for me. Didn't care for The Wire or Sopranos. I also like True Detective and Silicon Valley. That being said the only show I'd even mention in the same breathe as GoT that was on HBO is Deadwood. It was fantastic.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I would vote Wire number 1 but Band of Brothers would be a close number 2. Surprised it's not even in the poll. The thing that probably unfairly hurts Game of Thrones in my eyes is that the best parts of the series are the parts lifted right off the pages of the book. Any time the TV script deviated it became average.

Last edited:

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Voted Thrones but I guess time will play out as the last couple seasons are shown, that may affect how people like/dislike, etc. it. I also thought The Wire was very good, although on a second viewing a year or two ago I noticed how similar so many of the episodes were.

Band of Brothers I thought was excellent too, until I read the book and saw follow up interviews & write-ups and realized how Hollywood-ized the series was, and how that particular unit's contributions in some episodes were inflated while other units were diminished. Still a very good miniseries though, not really an HBO TV series.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
This is for the #1 ranking though. Obviously personal taste differs, but I think you'd have a hard time making the argument that besides the omission of Band of Brothers perhaps as a replacement for Game of Thrones, there's anything that shouldn't be there if we're talking about the best HBO series.

I know this is a board full of dudes...but Sex and the City should be there. As I say it may not get the appreciation it deserves here...but I got 50 emmy nominations, winning 7 and was nominated for 24 golden globes...winning 8. It was also listed as one of time magazines 100 best TV shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad