Ranking NHL Teams By Forwards

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Gambrell is not even a sure bet to make the opening night roster, let alone the 2nd line center. Hertl is not getting bumped from Center. Center is his natural position. You think they will move him to wing for Gambrell of all players?

You mentioned Deboer playing Gambrell as the #2 center in a pre-season game but fail to mention that neither Couture or Jumbo played in that game and Hertl was the #1 center. You touting your own horn would only have merit if Hertl played wing in that game.

What and what? I’ve admitted many times that I mistakenly had Hertl and Gambrell our of position on that line. But I was right that Gambrell got the first chance of camp to fill that vacant second-line spot alongside Hertl, which suggests DeBoer shared my thinking on who could fit best there. The first day of camp lines tend to be telling of what the coach has in mind and that seemed to be the case for San Jose. They have obviously been experimenting since, with Gambrell shifting back to centre from the wing. It’s the preseason. We’ll see how it looks on opening night and, again, it’s irrelevant to my ranking since that was taking into account the group as a whole regardless of any line combinations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->