Ranking NHL Teams By Forwards

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
"a league-wide writer" lol this is sad.

Gambrell on the 2nd line was a possibility although most don't like him. I don't think anybody ever said Gambrell playing the 2nd line WING, next to Hertl and Kane, was impossible. As shown above, that was literally my projection for opening night. The issue was Labanc on the 2nd line left wing, Gambrell at the 2nd line center, and Hertl at the 2nd line right wing.

If Tomas Hertl is playing the right wing, centered by Dylan Gambrell on opening night this season, I think everybody will give you an apology. The problem is I am more likely to be playing that right wing than Hertl is.

I’d still like an apology from the Sharks fan who just said I was “way off” for having Gambrell on the second line. Apparently Pete DeBoer doesn’t think so, according to his opening-day combos. We’ll see how it plays out.

Alas, these line combos were meaningless for my rankings — nothing more than a visual element — because I was ranking the forward group as a whole. Therefore, I didn’t do extensive research to see what fans were projecting those combos to be. And, as just alluded to, those combos are subject to change at any time and likely will multiple times over the course of the season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I’d still like an apology from the Sharks fan who just said I was “way off” for having Gambrell on the second line. Apparently Pete DeBoer doesn’t think so, according to his opening-day combos. We’ll see how it plays out.

Alas, these line combos were meaningless for my rankings — nothing more than a visual element — because I was ranking the forward group as a whole. Therefore, I didn’t do extensive research to see what fans were projecting those combos to be. And, as just alluded to, those combos are subject to change at any time and likely will multiple times over the course of the season.

You were way off for listing him as the second line CENTER. With Tomas Hertl on the right wing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don't think you're going to get very far proclaiming victory on an opening day preseason lineup. You're just looking for anything to dig you out of the hole you're in. Asking for an apology for that after utilizing a preseason lineup is very cringey. You don't deserve one for that.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Read his comment, that’s not what he was saying. But yes, that was “way off” accidentally listing potential linemates out of position.

Labanc and Gambrell are not both potential linemates for Hertl because they are way too weak. Those two would potentially be on separate lines with Meier/Couture and Hertl/Kane.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I don't think you're going to get very far proclaiming victory on an opening day preseason lineup. You're just looking for anything to dig you out of the hole you're in. Asking for an apology for that after utilizing a preseason lineup is very cringey. You don't deserve one for that.

It’s not so much proclaiming victory as it is proving my point that line combos are subject to change and it can be anybody’s guess ahead of camp.

Edmonton is the team I follow closest. If I had listed Sam Gagner on the second line, I would have received the same kind of flack. Guess where Gagner lined up on opening day of camp? On the second line. There are lots of examples like that all across the league today. Tons of my line combos are wrong based on opening day and tons of fan-projected combos are “way off” too. Reality is, I was ranking the forward groups as a whole and I probably didn’t deserve that much backlash for listing linemates out of position. Those things change, the names don’t. I was ranking the names, not the lines. That hasn’t sunk in with the San Jose posters here.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

Yah dude your still way off lol!

TBH he is closer to an ahl/nhl tweener then top 6. Hes got the pro experience but not enough talent to stay in on the 3/4 lines let alone top 6.

Your league wide holiness

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I didn't read any introductions or through the thread so apologies if any of this had already been addressed.

I wasnt sure if you were ranking teams by the potency of the group or just it's high end parts. For example, you have Edmonton very low with McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH, but Pittsburgh extremely high with Crosby, Malkin and Guentzel. Each team has a trio of good to great players but suffers from a lack of quality depth, yet they land on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I also wasn't sure if you were benefitting some teams for what you anticipate might be breakout seasons, for example Jost in Colorado. While the lowly ranked Rangers are adding a pair of really high end forwards who even conservatively have a decent shot at surpassing Jost's career high of 26pts.

I might suggest Colorado and Boston flip places, Pittsburgh and NJ move back and the NYR moved up. But all and all it's not a bad list.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It appears you might have been way off.

Its day 1 of training camp. I would settle down just a little bit with the gloating that you are right. It really isn't a good look for a so called professional.

The shark players are seperated into 2 seperate groups also. And all of the players that have a potential shot at hertls wing aren't even all in the same groups.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I didn't read any introductions or through the thread so apologies if any of this had already been addressed.

I wasnt sure if you were ranking teams by the potency of the group or just it's high end parts. For example, you have Edmonton very low with McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH, but Pittsburgh extremely high with Crosby, Malkin and Guentzel. Each team has a trio of good to great players but suffers from a lack of quality depth, yet they land on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I also wasn't sure if you were benefitting some teams for what you anticipate might be breakout seasons, for example Jost in Colorado. While the lowly ranked Rangers are adding a pair of really high end forwards who even conservatively have a decent shot at surpassing Jost's career high of 26pts.

I might suggest Colorado and Boston flip places, Pittsburgh and NJ move back and the NYR moved up. But all and all it's not a bad list.

Define "quality depth".

The Pens, true, have three guys who are elite and then there's a drop off, but they've got literally a half dozen guys who have 35-40 point potential (with some, like Galchenyuk and Hornqvist, who could hit 50 or so). It's not like the Oilers, who drop from their trio to like a bunch of ~25 point guys.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
It appears you might have been way off.

As the season actually starts, we will see who is right. Gambrell playing 2c, or me saying he cant even be a regular on the3/4 line for the whole season. Im far from the only one who sees it or feels that way regarding gambrell

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It’s not so much proclaiming victory as it is proving my point that line combos are subject to change and it can be anybody’s guess ahead of camp.

Edmonton is the team I follow closest. If I had listed Sam Gagner on the second line, I would have received the same kind of flack. Guess where Gagner lined up on opening day of camp? On the second line. There are lots of examples like that all across the league today. Tons of my line combos are wrong based on opening day and tons of fan-projected combos are “way off” too. Reality is, I was ranking the forward groups as a whole and I probably didn’t deserve that much backlash for listing linemates out of position. Those things change, the names don’t. I was ranking the names, not the lines. That hasn’t sunk in with the San Jose posters here.

Opening day of training camp doesn't prove any point about the lines you're assessing for the regular season. Sorry but no.

Reactions: Bougieman

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Its day 1 of training camp. I would settle down just a little bit with the gloating that you are right. It really isn't a good look for a so called professional.

The shark players are seperated into 2 seperate groups also. And all of the players that have a potential shot at hertls wing aren't even all in the same groups.

Generally speaking, coaches roll out the lines they have in mind for the regular season on the opening day of camp. The lines they spent the summer thinking about.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Define "quality depth".

The Pens, true, have three guys who are elite and then there's a drop off, but they've got literally a half dozen guys who have 35-40 point potential (with some, like Galchenyuk and Hornqvist, who could hit 50 or so). It's not like the Oilers, who drop from their trio to like a bunch of ~25 point guys.

Pretty much my thinking and rationale for the discrepancy between those two teams. Pittsburgh is much deeper than Edmonton IMO, with similar high-end talent.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

Good questions, thanks for asking. I ranked the forward groups as a whole, with star power being weighted heavily. That star power lifted Edmonton from bottom five into the teens. Depth was the difference between Pittsburgh and Edmonton, the Penguins are significantly deeper IMO.

And, yes, I did factor in potential for all of the teams since I’m ranking the season to come as opposed to the season that was. I’m a prospect junkie and draft scout, so I know all the potential rookies and the younger players that could take a leap. I certainly took that into consideration.

The Rangers are very much a potential team. Tons of upside, but not a ton of experience. I’m high on New Jersey and Colorado, but I can see the case for Boston being higher. I like Pittsburgh that high and think the Penguins forwards will be very productive this season.

hackandslash

Sep 6, 2019
Devils are about where they should be. The top end talent they have with Hall, Hughes, Gusev and Hischier is awesome

Their 3rd and 4th lines should be pretty solid though nothing spectacular.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Why is a team full of overrated chokers #1??? All of them are just propped up by their teammates
When you posted this nobody in the discussion had anything negative to say about the Bolts, you brought it up. While we’re on the topic, not sure how you can blame people for calling your team overrated after the 8 seed swept them. The Tampa players did this to themselves. On paper they’re number 1, this year they have an opportunity to switch the narrative

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
...if this is indicative of the general maturity level of a "league-wide writer" such as yourself then I think I now know why I've been having troubles finding your name listed on the PHWA website.

Perhaps I should just ignore all these ignorant comments instead of humouring them and stooping to your levels by responding and wasting my own time. My name might not appear on that list — yet — but I can assure you my work is well respected by the PHWA. Here's a vote of confidence from the recent PHWA president:

And another from a HHOF writer:

I'm confident in my writing ability and my knowledge of the league as a whole. You'll be reading more from me in the future. Stay tuned!

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Perhaps I should just ignore all these ignorant comments instead of humouring them and stooping to your levels by responding and wasting my own time. My name might not appear on that list — yet — but I can assure you my work is well respected by the PHWA. Here's a vote of confidence from the recent PHWA president:

And another from a HHOF writer:

I'm confident in my writing ability and my knowledge of the league as a whole. You'll be reading more from me in the future. Stay tuned!

Either way, i will await your apology for second guessing my thoughts.

I am well aware of my team through the offseason and during.

Just FYI Gambrell 2c, he will be lucky to make it to a bottom line as i told you before.

But he will spend more time in the Ahl this year then nhl.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I think the Ducks' youth movement and Eakins behind the bench will surprise people expecting them to have trouble scoring this season. I personally cannot see them finishing anywhere but top half of the league in goals for. Time will tell us who is right.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007

Gambrell is not even a sure bet to make the opening night roster, let alone the 2nd line center. Hertl is not getting bumped from Center. Center is his natural position. You think they will move him to wing for Gambrell of all players?

You mentioned Deboer playing Gambrell as the #2 center in a pre-season game but fail to mention that neither Couture or Jumbo played in that game and Hertl was the #1 center. You touting your own horn would only have merit if Hertl played wing in that game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad