Ranking NHL Teams By Forwards

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Keep these articles coming, i love to see the certain posters get bent out of shape becasue they don't agree with you.

Dallas @ 7th is about fair

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Keep these articles coming, i love to see the certain posters get bent out of shape becasue they don't agree with you.

Dallas @ 7th is about fair

Yes the 4th worst offensive team is going to see a over night transformation from bottom 5 in the league to top 10 in the league by adding 2 over the hill players that can't catch a turtle on ice with there skating.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Yes the 4th worst offensive team is going to see a over night transformation from bottom 5 in the league to top 10 in the league by adding 2 over the hill players that can't catch a turtle on ice with there skating.
Over the hill huh, you realize that Joe "Over the hill" Pavelski had 38 goals last year and led your team in goals right? His analysis takes into consideration more than just Pavelski and Perry, but continue to shove that foot in your mouth.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Over the hill huh, you realize that Joe "Over the hill" Pavelski had 38 goals last year and led your team in goals right? His analysis takes into consideration more than just Pavelski and Perry, but continue to shove that foot in your mouth.

And this year he won't even crack 30 goals and will end the year closer to 30 points then he will to 60 points.

And his analysis is his personal opinion on players. And after him saying dylan gambrell will be san jose's 2nd line center over hertl. His opinion on other teams is pretty much as useless as a feather as a paper weight in the wind.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
And this year he won't even crack 30 goals and will end the year closer to 30 points then he will to 60 points.

And his analysis is his personal opinion on players. And after him saying dylan gambrell will be san jose's 2nd line center over hertl. His opinion on other teams is pretty much as useless as a feather as a paper weight in the wind.
Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket with that forshadowing ability you seem to have.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket with that forshadowing ability you seem to have.

Can tell the people that haven't watched him play much over the past 2 seasons.

The only way pavelski stays a 30 goal scorer and 60 point player is if brent burns and erik karlsson follow him to dallas.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Can tell the people that haven't watched him play much over the past 2 seasons.

The only way pavelski stays a 30 goal scorer and 60 point player is if brent burns and erik karlsson follow him to dallas.
We have high end quality passers on defense in Dallas sooooooo

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
You mean the points you made 2 minutes apart, among others, that contradicted each other (e.g. look how many points Thornton put up / points arent everything, Vegas has low ranking D because you dont consider the system in your rankings / Sharks forwards have a low ranking because they are a product of their system of utilizing their defensemen)? I think it's you who is misinterpreting what I am saying. I said "Thornton was not good in these playoffs", and you somehow take that as me saying he was below replacement level, and that he has negative value this year. Spoiler, i didnt say or imply either of those things.

I hope your preseason predictions come with a modicum of analysis and research, honestly more for your sake. No one really cares about the ranking, they care that the author put in the effort to talk about their team accurately. That's the whole problem with this series, and instead of admitting that the task of knowing in-depth facts and figures of each team is so great (which it objectively is!) that somethings may have been missed, you double and triple down on bad takes.

My preseason predictions will be based on my opinions for the season to come — nothing more, nothing less. I am well aware of ALL the stats from last season and past years, but ultimately I am publishing my opinions on the league as a whole. Something most others aren't brave enough to do.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Wow how did i miss this. So the rankings are litterally a waste of internet space if they are based off of just personal opinion and have no actual stats or metric to back up your rankings.

This kind of rankings are good as an average fan. But the fact that you are supposed to be a professional sports writer these really makes you lose any and all credibility as a sports writer.

You might be a knowledgable writer for the most part, i don't know since this was the 1st piece of your work i have ever read.

But this ranking and then the doubling down and digging yourself deeper and deeper into your trench of not understanding certain players and teams in general is not a good look for a paid writer.

I hope going forward you do better, but this threads comments by you isn't really providing any hope that you are willing to change your ways and make your rankings actually the best they can be.

Ultimately, every prediction and every ranking published by a "professional sports writer" is based on the author's opinion unless it is strictly a stats/metric-based ranking in which case there is no opinion involved and the numbers do all the thinking for you. That has never been my writing style. I like to express my opinions, not all of which will be popular among the masses and not all of which will prove accurate.

I have published thousands of articles over the last 20 years. I'm shocked this is the first you've seen or heard of me, especially since I've shared the vast majority of my work here at HFBoards. Nevertheless, thanks for reading, always nice to add a new reader/follower!

Reactions: Tall Morty

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Why does Nashville's offense get ranked higher than St. Louis'?

Tarasenko>Forsberg
ROR>RJo
Schenn<Duchene
Schwartz=Arvidsson
Perron>Turris
Thomas>Granlund
Bozak=Bonino
Sundqvist>Jarnkrok
Steen>Smith
Barbashev>Sissons
Sanford>Watson
Blais>Grimaldi

Here's how I would rank those two forward groups:

Tarasenko>Forsberg
O'Reilly>Johansen
Schenn<Duchene
Schwartz=Arvidsson
Perron<Turris
Thomas<Granlund
Bozak>Bonino
Sundqvist=Jarnkrok
Steen<Smith
Barbashev<Sissons
Sanford=Watson
Blais>Grimaldi
Kyrou<Tolvanen

That totals out to 6-4-3 in favour of Nashville. Very close. As are many of the teams within the tiers. A slight difference in opinion can certainly alter the rankings.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

Nowhere in my analysis did I say Gambrell would be San Jose's second-line centre over Hertl. That is how the depth chart originally appeared. I did not elaborate on that. You drew your own conclusions, which were not at all in line with my opinions or my analysis on the Sharks.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You prefer Hertl in the middle with one of the prospects on the other wing, then a third scoring line with Gambrell centering that trio if Thornton doesn't return? What does your depth chart look like with and without Thornton/Marleau?

Considering that was your response to gambrell being placed at center of the 2nd line it leaves pretty much only one conclusion. Considering you are asking if they prefer the hertl route at center over the one you stated in the article.

Nowhere in my analysis did I say Gambrell would be San Jose's second-line centre over Hertl. That is how the depth chart originally appeared. I did not elaborate on that. You drew your own conclusions, which were not at all in line with my opinions or my analysis on the Sharks.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There is much more to hockey than stats, especially when comparing players with much different scenarios and supporting casts. Like I said, for me, Nugent-Hopkins is in the conversation with Couture and Duchene among his comparables, a slight notch above Hertl.

I legitimately laughed pretty hard at this.

Hertl is the best player out of those 4.

You literally posted “Labanc-Gambrell-Hertl”.

Somebody saying that Gambrell is listed as the center and Hertl is listed as the RW there is not “drawing their own conclusions.”

Considering that was your response to gambrell being placed at center of the 2nd line it leaves pretty much only one conclusion. Considering you are asking if they prefer the hertl route at center over the one you stated in the article.

Goodness gracious. This is just getting pathetic at this point. OP should just admit that he didn’t do his research and move on here.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Shouldnt even be in the top 15 them above Chicago is hilarious. No one would take Dallas' forward core over San Jose or Chicago lol

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Again, I was using this as my starting point: San Jose Sharks Depth Charts Projection - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Perhaps we should hound CapFriendly to update their depth charts to better reflect the lineups for the coming season. But CapFriendly is likely waiting to see how the preseason plays out. No point changing them now and then changing them again in two weeks when DeBoer does something different in camp.

Or perhaps I should have used Daily Faceoff instead: Team Line Combinations

That looks closer to the feedback I'm getting here, at least for San Jose.

If you’re depending on CapFriendly for a team’s depth chart, you don’t know enough about any team. That’s pretty embarrassing. You’d do better going to the roster discussion threads on any of the team-specific forums here.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

You do realize that Pavelski shot at a ridiculously higher percentage than his career right? Two percent higher even in his career year. As a giant Pavs fan even I expect him to fall back to the 25 goal range.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
My preseason predictions will be based on my opinions for the season to come — nothing more, nothing less. I am well aware of ALL the stats from last season and past years, but ultimately I am publishing my opinions on the league as a whole. Something most others aren't brave enough to do.

Good luck, OP. seriously

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Here's how I would rank those two forward groups:

Tarasenko>Forsberg
O'Reilly>Johansen
Schenn<Duchene
Schwartz=Arvidsson
Perron<Turris
Thomas<Granlund
Bozak>Bonino
Sundqvist=Jarnkrok
Steen<Smith
Barbashev<Sissons
Sanford=Watson
Blais>Grimaldi
Kyrou<Tolvanen

That totals out to 6-4-3 in favour of Nashville. Very close. As are many of the teams within the tiers. A slight difference in opinion can certainly alter the rankings.

No way is Granlund better than Robert Thomas. Thomas was one of the Blues best forwards at times and probably the most consistent forward during the playoffs outside of ROR. Also, Perron is definitely a bigger difference maker than Turris.

Point is, Nashville doesn't even have a game breaker. The Blues do have a game breaker and better depth through 4 lines. In fact, the Blues have the best depth among forwards and defensemen in the entire league.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

I was more so just asking what San Jose fans were expecting to see. Like I said several times, those depth charts were based off Cap Friendly. But you might be surprised by Gambrell. Perhaps you don't know your own prospects well enough. That kid could be a top-six forward sooner than later.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I legitimately laughed pretty hard at this.

Hertl is the best player out of those 4.

You literally posted “Labanc-Gambrell-Hertl”.

Somebody saying that Gambrell is listed as the center and Hertl is listed as the RW there is not “drawing their own conclusions.”

Goodness gracious. This is just getting pathetic at this point. OP should just admit that he didn’t do his research and move on here.

I have admitted several times that I cobbled together a "tentative" depth chart from Cap Friendly for all 31 teams. Most fan bases could nitpick about line combos. That is not unique to San Jose. But the names remain the same and I ranked the teams based on the names, not the combos. It is the posters here suggesting my rankings were based on the line combos rather than the overall talent of the forward group as a whole.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
If you’re depending on CapFriendly for a team’s depth chart, you don’t know enough about any team. That’s pretty embarrassing. You’d do better going to the roster discussion threads on any of the team-specific forums here.

Well, San Jose lost three forwards from their top nine, does anybody know for sure what those lines are going to look like on opening night? Teams with a lot of offseason turnover make for a lot of guess work when it comes to depth charts.

For example, I got ridiculed in the defence rankings thread for pairing Cody Ceci with Morgan Rielly. Then, after taking that abuse for a week, it went quiet when Babcock and Rielly said they are looking forward to seeing how Ceci does on the top pairing with Rielly.

Regardless, as I've said, I ranked the groups as a whole, not based on any specific combos.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was more so just asking what San Jose fans were expecting to see. Like I said several times, those depth charts were based off Cap Friendly. But you might be surprised by Gambrell. Perhaps you don't know your own prospects well enough. That kid could be a top-six forward sooner than later.

Yeah, we might be surprised by Gambrell alright. He might be so good that he bumps a 35 goal, 74 point center to his off-wing!

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Good luck, OP. seriously

I've been doing ALL of these predictions and rankings for several years running and taking all kinds of flack. This is nothing new to anybody who has been around HF since 2014 or going all the way back to 2002. Predictions are a big part of my work. Sometimes they prove right, sometimes they prove wrong, no different than anybody else. The rankings are my opinions and I'm entitled to those. Not everyone will agree and that's fine too. I watch enough of all 31 teams to form my own opinions and stick to them for the most part — and for better or worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad