Ranking NHL Teams By Forwards

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Isles finished top 5 last year, rankings have our offense 26, defense 20, goaltending 21. Swapped Brassard for Flip, Lehner for Varlamov.

Reactions: SteveH124

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Below 25th. Called it.

Are you prepared to admit your bias yet? Or are you still incapable of describing why you make the calls you do?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The guys has the ****ing Sharks at 25th and Gambrell as the 2C. It's clear he/they don't have a clue.
Wow. That's pretty impressive. I mean, I didn't think we'd get the most shafted in the forward rankings (there's so many other targets), but that takes talent.

Reactions: qqaz

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Sharks tied for the lead in the West in goals last year, and are ranked 25th?!?!

Pavelski isn't that much of a loss. This is an embarrassing ranking.

Pavelski isn't that much of a loss? He lead the Sharks in goals last year and has lead the team in goals 5 out of the last 6 years.

I would have the Sharks much higher (10 spots?) but your comment about Pavelski not being much of a loss is equally as embarrassing.

Are the Preds too high to anyone else? I like the Avalanche and Jets just from the Central more than the Preds forwards and both are lower.

Last edited:

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Pavelski isn't that much of a loss? He lead the Sharks in goals last year and has lead the team in goals 5 out of the last 6 years.

I would have the Sharks higher but your comment about Pavelski not being much of a loss is more embarrassing than the actual ranking.

Are the Preds too high to anyone else? I like the Avalanche and Jets just from the Central more than the Preds forwards and both are lower.

And maybe the Blues. I just noticed where they are ranked. I'd have the Preds 4th in the Central, not 4th in the entire league. Maybe I'm way off though.

Reactions: FireChevy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sharks tied for the lead in the West in goals last year, and are ranked 25th?!?!

That's surprisingly low. Even if the OP did factor in losing Pavelski, that would drop them a handful of spots from like 6th or 7th to 10th or 11th or whatever, not all the way down to 25th.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

I would have the Sharks much higher (10 spots?) but your comment about Pavelski not being much of a loss is equally as embarrassing.

I meant to imply that losing Pavelski shouldn't drop a team that tied for most goals in their conference last year to the 25th best forward unit. Though I do expect regression from Pavs (would have expected some even if he re-signed).

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That's surprisingly low. Even if the OP did factor in losing Pavelski, that would drop them a handful of spots from like 6th or 7th to 10th or 11th or whatever, not all the way down to 25th.
I need to learn to take these with a grain of salt, tbh. Not many can truly evaluate every team in the league appropriately.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Isles finished top 5 last year, rankings have our offense 26, defense 20, goaltending 21. Swapped Brassard for Flip, Lehner for Varlamov.

That third line will be a work in progress but if two of the younger wingers click with Brassard, then obviously the Islanders' forwards would be on the rise. The top two lines are solid, not spectacular, and the fourth line is one of the league's best. So much depends on what becomes of that third line.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I don't understand the 20th defense ranking but I definitely understand our forward group being ranked in the bottom 10.

With the defence ranking, a commenter here hit the nail on the head. He was responding to Vegas' ranking: "Vegas' D is a product of their play. Judging them on individual merits will cause rankings like this despite them playing a lot better than 29th as a unit."

Exactly and precisely. These rankings were heavily weighted on talent level and Vegas was negatively impacted by that. As were the Islanders. Those groups get the job done, but they don't jump off the page at you. They are better on the ice as a unit than on paper as individuals.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

You didn't just lose Pavelski. You also lost Thornton (as of today), Nyquist and Donskoi. And a lot of your offence comes from your defence, which was ranked No. 1 yesterday. This ranking is the forwards, not the offence as a whole. San Jose's current forward group is not a strength for that team.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

I mean, y'all get more scoring from the backend than any other team with both Karlsson and Burns. Losing Pavelski and Nyquist with Thornton still uncertain doesn't help. Sharks strength isn't in their forwards.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad