Ranking Dubas' best transactions - #3

Ranking Dubas' best transactions - #3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Brodie signing. He’s starting to decline a bit now, but he’s overall been terrific for us, and came at a reasonable price.
I am not really sure what to think of Brodie. He's been so good until about 3/4 of the way through last season, and then...just...died out there. Could barely skate, couldn't kill a penalty, was walked or embarrassed many times, lost a lot of board battles. He looked like mini-Justin Holl in the playoffs.

Really hope he rebounds, or else our d core is going to be real tough to watch.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I am not really sure what to think of Brodie. He's been so good until about 3/4 of the way through last season, and then...just...died out there. Could barely skate, couldn't kill a penalty, was walked or embarrassed many times, lost a lot of board battles. He looked like mini-Justin Holl in the playoffs.

If he wasn’t injured, they’re in big trouble on D

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Yeah agreed, he quite suddenly dropped off late last season. While I’m sure age plays a factor, I’m hoping it was mostly an injury, and he’ll be fine this year.

Even if it is a rapid age related decline, though, it’s a 4 year contract, and we got, at a minimum, just under 3 very good years out of it. But hopefully 4 good years - it does seem reasonable that he was injured and will bounce back, as it was such a sudden/stark drop off about 3/4 of the way through the season.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I actually thought the Amirov pick for Kapanen was one of his best asset management moves. But that was just an unknowable tragedy and beyond anything hockey related.
I voted for that, it was a hell of a trade. 1 year later Kapanen was a healthy scratch. I'm not sure if he's even in the league anymore, but I know his salary was looked at as dead weight for a while.

From day 1 that felt like a fleecing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I actually thought the Amirov pick for Kapanen was one of his best asset management moves. But that was just an unknowable tragedy and beyond anything hockey related.
But with Dubas its never that simple.

Leafs had the #13 overall pick in 2020 draft and Dubas sent it to Carolina to dump the Marleau contract in part to re-sign Kapanen and Johnsson both RFA with no cap space because of the JT signing a year earlier.

Then a year later Dubas realized Leafs were still in Cap Hell and then traded Kapanen anyways to recapture a 1st rounder.

So to me the Kapanen trade was an attempt to break-even and correcting a past mistake which is often the case with Dubas and I don't see it in isolation as a good move. A good move would have been trading Kapanaen a year earlier as an RFA and not dealing away the pick that became Seth Jarvis, then Leafs would have made 2 X 1st rounders instead.

Seth Jarvis & Amirov would have been a good move to trade Kapaanen.

2020 Entry draft results.

1692201886213.png

PS. Sadly the tragedy of the outcome of Amirov situation certainly not a factor that could have been predictable nor unavoidable.

Last edited:
Reactions: All Mod Cons

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Leafs had the #13 overall pick in 2020 draft and Dubas sent it to Carolina to dump the Marleau contract in part to re-sign Kapanen and Johnsson both RFA with no cap space because of the JT signing a year earlier.

Then a year later Dubas realized Leafs were still in Cap Hell and then traded Kapanen anyways to recapture a 1st rounder.

So to me the Kapanen trade was an attempt to break-even and correcting a past mistake which is often the case with Dubas and I don't see it in isolation as a good move. A good move would have been trading Kapanaen a year earlier as an RFA and not dealing away the pick that became Seth Jarvis, then Leafs would have made 2 X 1st rounders instead.

View attachment 736501

PS. Sadly the tragedy of the outcome of Amirov situation certainly not a factor that could have been predictable nor unavoidable.

So basically you agreeing that the Kapanen trade was good?

All that other "context" is garbage when choosing specific transactions.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So basically you agreeing that the Kapanen trade was good?

All that other "context" is garbage when choosing specific transactions.
In Full respect of the young Amirov I'm not going to debate the merits of the pick itself.

I wish he could have become an NHL HOFer in his career, and his loss will always be seen as a sad tradegy for a promising young player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

View attachment 736501

There’s definitely an alternative solution where the Leafs didn’t sink $6 million plus on duds Kapanen and Johnsson so we could have slogged through with Marleau and kept the Jarvis pick, maybe flipped Johnsson and Kapanen a year early.

Getting the Amirov pick was a triumph at the time. Cap was flattening out and Pittsburgh was just so dumb giving up a high pick. The rest of that story was obviously tragic so we won’t dwell too much on the hockey side of things out of respect to poor Rodion.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

To be fair the same could be said for Liljegren. Keefe ruined both of them by sitting one or the other to keep his pet Holl happy. With Keefe still around I don’t see that changing (the shuffling of lines, obv Holl is gone), unless Treliving takes him aside and stops the constant lineup changes and mixing/matching of D pairings on a nightly basis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad