Ranking Defenseman #4

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
There's no poll, baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Now there it is!

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This one is more obvious than Suter at #1. It's Reilly without a second thought or hesitation.

J22*

Voted for Dumba

just to see how pissed off This Providence and That Guy22 get

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I don't get how Brodin can be number two. He has shown zero offensive upside so far in his career. Maybe some day he will be #2. But not today.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't get how Brodin can be number two. He has shown zero offensive upside so far in his career. Maybe some day he will be #2. But not today.

I'm inclined to agree, but Brodin to these boards is bigger than Justin Bieber to 16 year old girls.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009

Yeah because you see 22 year old dman with 3 years NHL experience playing over 22+ min a night each year against opposing teams best players every year...

He's number 2 on this list because he is an excellent dman with less lapses in his play than the one above him and the ones below him and HE'S STILL YOUNG, WILL BE 22 all next year, Scandella wasn't even a regular at 22 years and we had a far weaker defense when he was younger.

Regarding your "offensive upside" Brodin is a better puck mover however he needs to be less timid which is something we hope to see him bloom more.

Finally he's already a #2 on this team, and would be a #2 on MANY teams in the NHL. Thats why he was voted where he is.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I don't get it. People were ready to put Spurgeon at #2, where he arguably belongs based on current level of play (not potential nor TOI or pairing). Then #3 comes along, and suddenly it's Scandella? Eh, whatever.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012

Brodin is completely fine choise as our N.2. Other defenseman besides Suter haven´t excatly excelled in offence either considering Brodin also scored 8 goals last season. He also lead the +/- with +21 this season and because he doesn´t see much ice time on the PP it also doesn´t help his point totals.

This season:
Spurgeon 9g-16a 25pts
Scandella 11g-12a 23pts
Brodin 3g-14a 17pts

Last season:
Spurgeon 5g-21a 26pts
Brodin 8g-11a 19pts
Scandella 3g-14a 17pts

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Voted Spurgeon, but I think Dumba will take the #4 spot rather soon.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wow...I would have gone Spurgeon > Suter > Scandella > Brodin > Dumba.

Even after one down year, Suter is still the best until consistently proven otherwise.

However, Spurgeon, Scandella and Brodin could have interchangeably gone 2, 3, 4 depending on what you're looking at.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
I'm inclined to agree, but Brodin to these boards is bigger than Justin Bieber to 16 year old girls.

My point is how can Suter be your #1 when he had a 25 game stretch at mid-season when he was -23? Brodin was by far their best defenseman based not only on his +22 on the season but the fact he was saddled with Suter and still was strong defensively.

I'm not pouring on Suter because what he went through last season would have been crushing for anyone but still Brodin bailed him out all year.

Read the Russo stories from a couple of weeks ago; no less authority than Scotty Bowman said that defensively Brodin is as good as Lidstrom was at the same age and I still think with his skill set he becomes a 35-45 point scorer.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
My point is how can Suter be your #1 when he had a 25 game stretch at mid-season when he was -23? Brodin was by far their best defenseman based not only on his +22 on the season but the fact he was saddled with Suter and still was strong defensively.

I'm not pouring on Suter because what he went through last season would have been crushing for anyone but still Brodin bailed him out all year.

Read the Russo stories from a couple of weeks ago; no less authority than Scotty Bowman said that defensively Brodin is as good as Lidstrom was at the same age and I still think with his skill set he becomes a 35-45 point scorer.

You misunderstood these polls.
Actually you should read them "rank our defenders according to their cap hit".
:sarcasm:

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Offensive upside isn't everything. If it was Dumba would be top on the list.

Defense isn't everything either. Brodin has been pretty much useless in the offensive zone. You can argue his play in the other two zones outweighs offensive deficiencies, but his lack of offense is a negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad