Ranking Defenseman #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Well, given that by most statistical measure's Spurgeon was our best defender, better vote for him again at 2.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well, given that by most statistical measure's Spurgeon was our best defender, better vote for him again at 2.
Not that stats don't have value, they absolutely do, but I will never take stats over my own personal assessment from actually watching a player on the ice.

This response is not intended as a knock against Spurgeon BTW, just that I disagree to being a slave to stats on ranking players vs players.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I still view Brodin as our #2 defenseman, although Spurgeon was better this season. It is really close from 2 to 4 though.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Scandella had the least amount of O-zone starts and faced the highest QualComp of any of our defenders. He was still only .01 P/60 behind Spurgeon and .03 behind Suter, who both got significantly better PP time than him.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Scandella had the least amount of O-zone starts and faced the highest QualComp of any of our defenders. He was still only .01 P/60 behind Spurgeon and .03 behind Suter, who both got significantly better PP time than him.

Scandella definitely improved tremendously (some national broadcasters were calling him the most improved player in the NHL), but I'd like to see him this upcoming year. Still have Spurgeon ahead of him, although it's tight between 2-4.

I think Spurgeon and Scandella just work so well together, that I'm really hoping we somehow find a way to keep them together for the upcoming years.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Scandella definitely improved tremendously (some national broadcasters were calling him the most improved player in the NHL), but I'd like to see him this upcoming year. Still have Spurgeon ahead of him, although it's tight between 2-4.

I think Spurgeon and Scandella just work so well together, that I'm really hoping we somehow find a way to keep them together for the upcoming years.

Agreed. One of the best 2nd pairings in the NHL, lot of experience together and they compliment each others game really well. Both have the offensive capabilities, but are no slouch defensively either. They can play together in all situations.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
This poll is going to be straight up TOI stats in descending order.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
For me, Brodin has potential and age on his side, but that is all about the future (albeit the very, VERY near future). But if today, you were to ask me, who I want to put out against Kane, Toews, Hossa etc, it will have to be Scandella.

I don't trust Brodin to shut them down on his own (by that, I mean an average partner on his side). However, I have a bit more confidence in Scandella to handle those types of players.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
For me, Brodin has potential and age on his side, but that is all about the future (albeit the very, VERY near future). But if today, you were to ask me, who I want to put out against Kane, Toews, Hossa etc, it will have to be Scandella.

I don't trust Brodin to shut them down on his own (by that, I mean an average partner on his side). However, I have a bit more confidence in Scandella to handle those types of players.

I agree with this. You wouldn't be able to tell by just looking at stats, but Scandella did a pretty good job at shutting down Tarasenko in the first round this year.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
No logical reasoning for anyone but Spurgeon.

Significantly better player than Brodin at this stage in all three areas of the ice. Also consistently gives a higher level of play than Scandella.

I think if all 3 are playing their best games, Scandella edges the other two. But he's still a tad too inconsistent to be considered the better player. Brodin nowhere close to the other two at this stage.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
When Scandella is firing on all cylinders I would say he is our #2. Most of the time it is Spurgeon though. I have Brodin behind those two still. He is just too one dimensional at this point in his career.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I like Scandella, but he's not going to be a 10% shooter long term like he was this year. Spurgeon has the consistency, and the 5v5 numbers (where 90% of the game is played) show commandingly that Spurge is the better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad