Ranking & brief summary of 2005 1st round prospects????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
i was wondering if someone could give me a summary of prospects (like how they play, offensive or defenisve, good shot, etc) for the 2005 draft......i know someone ranked the players and that was great but i dont know much about the guys besides crosby and brule and i was wanting to know more about the other guys for the draft........thanks in advance

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Some that I know quite a bit about, other than Crosby and Brule...

-Andrew Cogliano: Small, small, small (5'9'') but talented. Great skater, both straight away and turning etc. Puck handling skills second to none, maybe only Crosby, Brule, and Bertram are better. I've heard he's just as good as Crosby at handling the puck at ''top speed''. Good competetor, but size will be a downfall, and no matter how many points he puts up in the OHL next year, dont expect him to go top 10.

-Dan Bertram: Again, size is an issue, but skill sure as hell isnt. Maybe the fastest skater (NA) in the draft. One knock I've heard from scouts against Bertram: He's soft. But I dont see it. Shoe-in top 5 pick in 2005.

Brock Bradford: 5'10'' 160. Another little bugger. Came into his own playing with Brule at the Canada U17's. Shows great poise every time he steps onto the ice. Breakaway speed with great stickhandling. Possible top 10 pick, probable top 20.

Devin Setoguchi: A leader. Playing on one of the worst CHL teams in history as a 16 year old, and puts up over 40 pts. Decent size (6'0'' 185), and is a great hitter. I've talked to a scout that said Setoguchi will be a top 10 pick, easily.

Mike Gauthier: A monster that is still growing. Showed a lot playing with the Raiders this year, solidifying their defence corps. What more do you want in a 6'4'' defenceman that can skate, hit, fight, and shoot the puck? Probable top 25.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Kugel said:
i was wondering if someone could give me a summary of prospects (like how they play, offensive or defenisve, good shot, etc) for the 2005 draft......i know someone ranked the players and that was great but i dont know much about the guys besides crosby and brule and i was wanting to know more about the other guys for the draft........thanks in advance

Guillaume Latendresse 6'2" 215 lb.

Good two way player, likes to hit. Could go second behind Crosby.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I read at a danish hockey website (www.hockeymania.dk) that CSS has already a preliminary ranking over the 2005 prospects out (there were 7 Danish players on the ranking). Unfortunately I have not been able to access my e-mail for several days so I can't get hold of my login-info to http://centralscouting.nhl.com .

Anyway, kugel, if you have a username and a pass there, you might be able to found some info on that site.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Romy Elayoubi, 6'1 184lbs, Right Wing, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
-Struggled somewhat adjusting to the Q and got very few minutes on a deep veteran Chicoutimi team. Has good size, he is a very good skater and has a tremendous player. A year ago he was considered top 5 and 2nd best from the Q. He has a tremendous work ethic and hart, and with a year under his belt he will break out big time this year and IMO will prove to be a Top 10 pick.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
monster_bertuzzi said:
#1-Crosby
#2-Brule

Already set in stone.

Latendresse is 5 months younger than Brule. At 6'2 215 he might make crusher dust of that stone in the next year.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:

-Andrew Cogliano: Small, small, small (5'9'') but talented. Great skater, both straight away and turning etc. Puck handling skills second to none, maybe only Crosby, Brule, and Bertram are better. I've heard he's just as good as Crosby at handling the puck at ''top speed''. Good competetor, but size will be a downfall, and no matter how many points he puts up in the OHL next year, dont expect him to go top 10.

QUOTE]

Well, first off...Is there any guarantee that Cogliano opts in to the 05 draft...as from what I hear plans on going the NCAA route, which would have him possibly end up playing another year for the St Mikes Buzzers of the Ontario Provincial junior A league next year...Perhaps someone else knows more...

Second off, why would size be a downfall for him to the point where he would stand little chance of going top 10 no matter what he were to accomplish in the O, if he did in fact end up deciding to play in the O...In May of 2003, he was listed at 5'10 160 with plenty of time to grow..Brule last I checked is listed at 5'10, 165, yet he some how if you ask most around here is a lock to go no later then 3.

Last edited:

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Johnny said:
monster_bertuzzi said:

QUOTE]

Well, first off...Is there any guarantee that Cogliano opts in to the 05 draft...as from what I hear plans on going the NCAA route, which would have him possibly end up playing another year for the St Mikes Buzzards of the Ontario Provincial junior A league next year...Perhaps someone else knows more...

Second off, why would size be a downfall for him to the point where he would stand little chance of going top 10 no matter what he were to accomplish in the O, if he did in fact end up deciding to play in the O...In May of 2003, he was listed at 5'10 160 with plenty of time to grow..Brule last I checked is listed at 5'10, 165, yet he some how if you ask most around here is a lock to go no later then 3.
Have they changed that rule on opt ins though? I thought I heard that they had somewhere.

Setoguchi is going to be a very good player IMO, I like Nick Drazenovic alot as well. There is a lot of potential for next years draft out the the WHL, the Q has an impressive crop as well. Overall a great year for Canada, the OHL will work in a top pick somehow.

I see alot of these Canadian players though, does anybody have word on the European's for 05?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:

-Dan Bertram: Again, size is an issue, but skill sure as hell isnt. Maybe the fastest skater (NA) in the draft. One knock I've heard from scouts against Bertram: He's soft. But I dont see it. Shoe-in top 5 pick in 2005.

Is size really an issue with this kid? He's listed at 5'11 and 175lbs at 16 yrs old going on 17. Unless the Camrose Kodiaks are exagerating his height and weight I think he is just fine. If he grows another inch or two he will have absolutely no one commenting on his size.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
kruezer said:
Have they changed that rule on opt ins though? I thought I heard that they had somewhere.

I dont know, perhaps you are right...as I say, anyone who can shed some light on Cogliano's situation, feel free to jump in at any time..

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Zoo said:
Could someone try and compare this Brule kid.I don't know anything about this guy.

There are people more knowledgeable about draftees than me, but from what I've read he sounds like he's going to be a top pick. He's great offensively, and even though he isn't all that big (which he still has plenty of time to grow) he isn't afraid to play physical. I've also read that he could be captain material. Don't know about his awareness defensively, haven't read anything about it yet.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Johnny said:
monster_bertuzzi said:
Andrew Cogliano: Small, small, small (5'9'') but talented. Great skater, both straight away and turning etc. Puck handling skills second to none, maybe only Crosby, Brule, and Bertram are better. I've heard he's just as good as Crosby at handling the puck at ''top speed''. Good competetor, but size will be a downfall, and no matter how many points he puts up in the OHL next year, dont expect him to go top 10.

QUOTE]

I seen Cogliano at the U17s...he is an awsome skater and IMO a top 5 talent in the draft, the guy is amazing at taking the puck up ice and scoring, but his down fall was stickhandling, very choppy and lost control more times than one in the games going up the ice by himself...beats guys with speed not stickhandling.

X-SHARKIE

I'm looking forward to the 2005 draft. The Sharks should be able to aquire some great talents, With are 1st, 2nd, and the Flames 2nd. Plus the draft, if the players continue their devolopment, should make the 2004 draft look silly.

Everyone knows about Crosby and Brule. Here are some of the other players. Plus Jack Skille, and Paul Stastny are going to be 2005 eligible.

Guillaume Latendresse would be my third choice, I have seen him play. He could chalenge for the #2 spot overall.

Then there is Chris Durand, a friend of mine in Seattle just raves about the guy and he sounds like he's the real deal.

I personally love defensman Mark Staal of the Wolves, I have seen him while watching Ehelechner and he's been hyped into my ears the past year from a friend as well.

I really really really like Finnish defensman Teemu Lakkso, he's an amazing player.

F Alex Bourret should go top 10, I have seen him play. He actually was on par with Picard for the games I've seen.

F Christopher Gawlick could end up being the best German born player. I expect him to be in a Sharks uniform some day with Sturm, Goc, and Ehrhoff :) and mabey Patzold and Ehelechner.

2005 draft crop is looking very good.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Kari Lehtonen: Born 16.11.83, Helsinki, Finland

Jokerit Helsinki Jr. A SM-sarja 00/01 - 32 2.45 0.911

Tuukka Rask: Born 10.03.87, Savonlinna, Finland

Ilves Tampere Jr. A SM-sarja 03/04 - 26 2.24 0.936

I now thats thous stats not all, but i have to say that Tuukka Rask is real deal. Also we have Teemu Laakso who i think go TOP 5 2005. Teemu Laakso is better offensive what Joni Pitkanen was that age, but Pitkanen was bigger then, what Laakso is now.

Finlads -87 born players are crazy i have to say, i think it´s better what our -83 was that age. Teemu Laakso, Tuukka Rask, Jesse Joensuu, Miika Lahti, Jonas Enlund, Oskar Osala.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I'm sorry I don't know the guys name, but I remember reading that their was a pretty good power forward prospect (I think he was about 6'3 200) that could go in the top 10. Can anyone give me his name and some info?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Specify league, town and nationality and then we might have something!
And about Elayoubi, I used to watch him play in Atom and boy does he have skill. He might have a breakout year next season

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
PensFan68 said:
I'm sorry I don't know the guys name, but I remember reading that their was a pretty good power forward prospect (I think he was about 6'3 200) that could go in the top 10. Can anyone give me his name and some info?

Ryan O'Marra perhaps? Plays for Erie. 6-3, 185 I've seen him listed at.

Usahockeyfan12

Jun 1, 2004
I don't know if Phil Kessel is eligible but he has breakaway speed and a pure goal scoring touch.. in my opinion a top five talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->