Ranking Babcock as Coach in NHL Currently

Rank Babcock as coach today in nhl

• Total voters

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I would say he's comfortably a top 3 coach, perhaps the best. Really, his worth to our team is quite immeasurable. One of those rare instance where his worth is equal to, or more than a very high pick, prospect, or combination thereof.

In every sport, every fan will nitpick at small details with coaching. Personally, I do feel a lot of Leaf fans criticize a lot of short-term moves (that look bad on paper) and overlook the potential long-term gains...

Though I do have my small qualms with Babcock, I'd surely have a lot more with every other coach in this league.

As an aside, I'm generally quite a pessimistic fan when it comes to management. My post history indicates I was very anti-Burke, anti-Nonis, anti-Wilson, and anti-Carlysle. In fact, I'm still not even remotely sold on Lou or Hunter.

But with Babcock, I am as confident as you could be when it comes to a coach, think he's the real deal.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd like to say top 5. Went 1-3 but it's a little murky with coaches. He's good though.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I'll go with a somewhat conservative 4, one of the best coaches in the league for sure I think you've got to put Sullivan right near the top(despite sample size), Lavy, and possibly Q, and on any given night Babcock is in the mix for top 3. Like any coach though he is not immune to criticism despite what some Leaf fans will tell you(to be fair we also have a Fire Babcock cult so...maybe it balances out). And this year he is making a lot of questionable moves.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He's a good coach but I feel like his head got too big due to his Olympic success. He used the Toronto media when he was leaving Detroit to create a celebrity status, and effectively now has coaching immunity among the media and organization. He'll never ever get fired. I'm also not sure he's the best coach for a young team, either. He can't stand mistakes by younger players, which is why he constantly brings in vets.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What makes him so good? I remember Detroit fans saying buyer beware when he was on the move.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What makes him so good? I remember Detroit fans saying buyer beware when he was on the move.
He has his negatives for sure, but overall his mind for the game is excellent. He's a brilliant tactical coach and he's good at getting the most out of players

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
top 2 the only case I will even listen to is coach Q other than him there is no argument for anyone else and a slump in early November doesn't change that

they could win the next 4 and then all the sheep are quiet again

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Top two is some order of Q and Sullivan, and there is zero argument there.

I'd have Lavi over him as well. After that there is a jumble of good/not-great coaches and he's toward the top of them. So... top 5?

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Top two is some order of Q and Sullivan, and there is zero argument there.

I'd have Lavi over him as well. After that there is a jumble of good/not-great coaches and he's toward the top of them. So... top 5?

Pretty much my thinking here too

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sullivan, Boucher, Laviolette, Quenville and Babcock in any order you like.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He's a G with Lavi, Quenz, Sulli and Bednar.
Oh, and Claypool, he does not have immunity. Dregs is already on him, see the front page of TSN1050 for deets.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I said 4-5 largely based on his success with Team Canada, which even I admit having used it as a justification is largely overrated both in terms of how impressive it was and the job he did. 2014 was as dominant a performance from any team that I can remember in a play-offs/tournament but I think that team could have been even better if allowed to play a little offense.

In the NHL he certainly isn't the best and I could see the argument for him being out of the top 10 moreso than #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad