Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
kolanos said:
So I am wrong for suggesting that "Probability" refers to a projected attained potential, but then you use my words to define the "Potential" rating as the "probability they will attain their potential". Am I the only one who recognizes the lunacy of this? A projection IS a probability estimate -- by DEFINTION. Where is the misunderstanding here?

I find it funny that moments ago you were telling someone they were arguing semantics.....and then this jewel comes from you.....

kolanos said:
three seperate posters have tried to make the case for me not understanding the supposed rating system

Shouldnt that be telling you something....?

for the record I thought is was odd that some of the second #'s were higher than the first....then I read what people were doing....and it makes sense.....just get on board with it and lets move along

MastahPlaya

Mar 9, 2004
1)Deslaurier 8.0 9.0
2)Dubnyk 8.5 9.5
3)Schremp 9.0 7.0
4)Niinimaki 7.5 8.5
5)Pouliot 8.0 7.5
6)Lynch 7.5 9.5
7)Woywitka 8.0 9.0
8)Green 7.0 9.5
9)Mcdonald 6.5 8.0
10)Rita 7.5 6.0

hows that

Last edited:

GoPenguins

Mar 29, 2003
Albany, NY
Visit site
MastahPlaya said:
1)Deslaurier 8.0 9.0
2)Dubnyk 8.5 9.5
3)Schremp 9.0 7.0
4)Niinimaki 7.5 8.5
5)Pouliot 8.0 7.5
6)Lynch 7.5 9.5
7)Woywitka 8.0 9.0
8)Green 7.0 9.5
9)Mcdonald 6.5 8.0
10)Rita 7.5 6.0

hows that

It's er, very nice. We should just hand the Cup over to Edmonton then, as two goalies who are rated 9 and 9.5 will probably combine for 20-25 shutouts a season. Not to mention Lynch and Woywitka guarding the blueline :)

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
wint said:
Panthers:

1. Anthony Stewart...7.5...7
2. Lukas Krajicek...7.5...6.5
3. Rotislav Olesz...7...8
4. Filip Novak...6.5...7
5. David Shantz...7...5.5
6. Rob Globke...6.5...6
7. Petr Taticek...6...7
8. Stefan Mayer...7...4
9. Greg Campbell...6...6.5
10. Jeremy Swanson...6.5...4

Other Notables: Kamil Kreps, David Booth, Danny Roussin

Kreps should be in the top 10.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The Jerk said:
yeah, good thread...someone familiar with St. Louis please do, that's even more neglected then the Blackhawk page...

Ask and you shall receive. I didn't give them a ranking 1-10 because that tends to be very subjective. Mcclement is closer to the NHL the Zakharov, but I would say that Zakharov has more potential, so who would you rank higher :dunno: ?

1. Sejna - had a tough first year, given too much too soon, but according to the 'Cats fans he really came on, ready to contribute.

2. Alexi Shkotov - Had one of the best point/game ave. in the Q. Will be w/ the 'Cats next year.

3. Khonstantin Zakharov - Very good rookie year w/ Moncton - ask Montreal. Another who will be w/ the 'Cats next season.

4. Jay McClement - Will be a good shutdown, face off Center, 3rd liner Injury call up.

5. Trevor Byrne - Free agent pickup, w/ size, Offense and solid D. Will be w/ the 'Cats another year (St. Louis takes it's time w/ D men) but should be a 3 or 4 and may get an injury call up next year.

6. Carl Soderberg - Forward drafted in the 2nd round this year Top 6 potential.

7. David Backes - Had a good year last season in College. He could be a decent PF. Needs more time.

8. Viktor Alexandrov - Skilled forward drafted in the 3rd round. Top 6 Potential.

9. John Pohl - may not be what who others would put here, but he had a great rookie year in the AHL and an slow start last season, but came on in the 2nd half. At best a 2nd line Center, but a lot would depend on this season. I think we will see him called up if injuries occur (provided we have a season).

10. Alexandre Bolduc - Good 2 way center in the Q. Again, this is my pick and others may put someone else here. (Like Hemmingway????)

Notables:

Mike Glumac - UFA signing w/ a great rookie season last year, big body w/ good hands.
Robin Johnnson - Decent year back from having Cancer (Top 4 Dman)
Blake Evans (4th line Center)
Gregg Black - Energy type
Wideman - but Buffalo fans could speak more for him

Hole mess of other guys here....

Goalies:

1. Schwartz, Barulin (Based on Hype and potential)

2. Nissinin, Cash, Sanford (Played more closer to the NHL)

Notes: Goalie situation is set for about the next 100 years... No Blue chip elite level forwards, but solid depth - found a few diamonds in the later rounds - good size. No top pairing dman in the system - but do have some top 4 guys and lot of 5-6 that are ready to contribute now - Pollock/Stuart.

The Jerk*

Frenzy1 said:
Ask and you shall receive. I didn't give them a ranking 1-10 because that tends to be very subjective. Mcclement is closer to the NHL the Zakharov, but I would say that Zakharov has more potential, so who would you rank higher :dunno: ?

1. Sejna - had a tough first year, given too much too soon, but according to the 'Cats fans he really came on, ready to contribute.

2. Alexi Shkotov - Had one of the best point/game ave. in the Q. Will be w/ the 'Cats next year.

3. Khonstantin Zakharov - Very good rookie year w/ Moncton - ask Montreal. Another who will be w/ the 'Cats next season.

4. Jay McClement - Will be a good shutdown, face off Center, 3rd liner Injury call up.

5. Trevor Byrne - Free agent pickup, w/ size, Offense and solid D. Will be w/ the 'Cats another year (St. Louis takes it's time w/ D men) but should be a 3 or 4 and may get an injury call up next year.

6. Carl Soderberg - Forward drafted in the 2nd round this year Top 6 potential.

7. David Backes - Had a good year last season in College. He could be a decent PF. Needs more time.

8. Viktor Alexandrov - Skilled forward drafted in the 3rd round. Top 6 Potential.

9. John Pohl - may not be what who others would put here, but he had a great rookie year in the AHL and an slow start last season, but came on in the 2nd half. At best a 2nd line Center, but a lot would depend on this season. I think we will see him called up if injuries occur (provided we have a season).

10. Alexandre Bolduc - Good 2 way center in the Q. Again, this is my pick and others may put someone else here. (Like Hemmingway????)

Notables:

Mike Glumac - UFA signing w/ a great rookie season last year, big body w/ good hands.
Robin Johnnson - Decent year back from having Cancer (Top 4 Dman)
Blake Evans (4th line Center)
Gregg Black - Energy type
Wideman - but Buffalo fans could speak more for him

Hole mess of other guys here....

Goalies:

1. Schwartz, Barulin (Based on Hype and potential)

2. Nissinin, Cash, Sanford (Played more closer to the NHL)

Notes: Goalie situation is set for about the next 100 years... No Blue chip elite level forwards, but solid depth - found a few diamonds in the later rounds - good size. No top pairing dman in the system - but do have some top 4 guys and lot of 5-6 that are ready to contribute now - Pollock/Stuart.

Shkotov at 2 is nice...

degroat*

The Jerk said:
yeah, good thread...someone familiar with St. Louis please do, that's even more neglected then the Blackhawk page...

St Louis
01 Peter Sejna (7.5)
02 Marek Schwarz (8.5)
03 Jason Bacashihua (7.0)
04 Jay McClement (6.5)
05 Konstantin Zakharov (7.5)
06 Alexi Shkotov (7.5)
07 Trevor Byrne (7.0)
08 John Pohl (6.5)
09 David Backes (7.5)
10 Konstantin Barulin (7.0)

My rankings aren't too far off what Frenzy posted, but I've combined the goalies with the skaters. One thing I'll point out is that mine are a little more tilted towards NHL readiness than most people's are. That's why you won't find Soderberg or Alexandrov in the top 10 and why McClement is ranked ahead of players with a lot more potential.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
db23 said:
"The Prize". :shakehead As in isn't he " the prize"?

Anyhow, without the need to confuse the issue, this is my projection for Hab prospects.

1. Chris Higgins 7
2. Ron Hainsey 6.5
3 Kyle Chipchura 6
4 Tomas Plekanec 6
5 Duncan Milroy 5.5
6 Alex Perezhogin 5.5
7 Andrei Kostitsyn 5
8 Konstantin Korneev 5
9 Olivier Michaud 5
10 Corey Locke 4.5

You make no sense, you have gone on and on about how Locke was a great prospect and the only guy from the 2003 class who was gonna make it in the NHL yet you have him ranked lower then Kostitsyn AMD Perezhogin, two players you keep bashing.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Habs

1.Kostitsyn- 8.5/7.5
2.Perezoighin-8/7
3.Higgins-7.5/7
4.Plekanec-7/6.5
5.Chipchura- 7/7
6.Hossa- 7.5/ 6
7.Hainey- 7/ 6
8.Danis- 7/6
9.Locke-7.5/ 6
10.Urqhart- 7/6

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Islanders:

1. Robert Nilsson - 8/6
2. Sean Bergenheim - 6/7
3. Petteri Nokelainen 6/7
4. Justin Mapletoft - 6/6
5. Evgeny Tunik - 7/5
6. Dmitri Chernykh - 7/5
7. Jeremy Colliton - 6/6
8. Wes O'Neill - 7/4
9. Bruno Gervais - 6/5
10. Ryan Caldwell - 6/5

Honestly, I think a lot of you have too high of expectations for most prospects and their ability to make the big show.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
IMO for the Canucks

1.) Alex Auld - 7.5 / 7.5
2.) Kirill Koltsov - 8.5 / 6.5
3.) Ryan Kesler - 6.0 / 8.0
4.) Evgeny Gladskikh - 7.5 / 6.5
5.) Corey Schneider - 7.5 / 7.0
6.) Tomas Mojzis - 6.5 / 6.5
7.) Ilya Krikunov - 7.0 / 6.0
8.) Brandon Reid - 6.5 / 6.0
9.) Marc-Andre Bernier - 6.0 / 5.5
10.) Fedor Fedorov - 8.0 / 4.5

Yayo

MastahPlaya said:
1)Deslaurier 8.0 9.0
2)Dubnyk 8.5 9.5
3)Schremp 9.0 7.0
4)Niinimaki 7.5 8.5
5)Pouliot 8.0 7.5
6)Lynch 7.5 9.5
7)Woywitka 8.0 9.0
8)Green 7.0 9.5
9)Mcdonald 6.5 8.0
10)Rita 7.5 6.0

hows that

It's perfect.

As long as the highest rating possible is 13. :rolleyes:

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I don't see why it's so hard to understand the two categories...

If a player has a potential of a 9 or 10 then they potentially good be awesome...

but if there probability is only a 5 or 6 then there probably like a boom or bust type player...

Like Blake Wheeler taken 5th overall the kids got upside....so lets say 9....however due to what he's proven relative to the rest of the draft class and general uncertainty with Blake in particular his probability of reaching his potential is only a 5

For a player like Nathan Horton last year he may only get an 8 for potential but would also garner an 8 for probability of reaching his potential....

a player like Andrei Kostitsyn he may have a rating of 9 for potential since his skill is out of this world but his probablity of reaching that potential is only say a 6

Teams draft accordingly.....in the above case Horton went 7 spots higher then Kostitsyn....and will most assurdely be a good NHL player....Kostitsyn may be better some day but the risk is higher...

Why oh why is this grading system difficult for anyone to grasp that isn't in grade 4..?

degroat*

Qubax said:
Why oh why is this grading system difficult for anyone to grasp that isn't in grade 4..?

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and suggest that if someone is having trouble understanding the "system" (and I use that term loosely) it's because nobody has ever defined what the hell a probability of 5 or 6 or 7 is. Without it being defined it's useless because the numbers mean different things to different people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->