Status
Not open for further replies.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
freakazoid said:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Good stuff. I guess you tuned in after the first two selections... :shakehead

No that's where your wrong... TOP defensive talent is much harder to find than offensive therefore if Barker becomes a top D-man or contends for the Norris trophy in his career.. (which no one can predict but he has all the tools for development... ) then I feel he may turn out to be more valuable a player than AO or Malkin... Im high on all three of them.. but I think the hype machine has been rolling too much for both of them... they'll both be formidable first liners and potential all-stars... but to shake your head over a top d prospect I guess you don't know much about the importance of a star dman... especially one who takes care in his own end like Barker has shown he can do...

Scorers are great and they are needed, they also bring fans into the seats.. but like many greats have said defense and goaltending wins championships... Therefore my argument is only my opinion but I hope you see my rationale... you do not have to agree and thats fine!

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
No that's where your wrong... TOP defensive talent is much harder to find than offensive therefore if Barker becomes a top D-man or contends for the Norris trophy in his career.. (which no one can predict but he has all the tools for development... ) then I feel he may turn out to be more valuable a player than AO or Malkin... Im high on all three of them.. but I think the hype machine has been rolling too much for both of them... they'll both be formidable first liners and potential all-stars... but to shake your head over a top d prospect I guess you don't know much about the importance of a star dman... especially one who takes care in his own end like Barker has shown he can do...

Scorers are great and they are needed, they also bring fans into the seats.. but like many greats have said defense and goaltending wins championships... Therefore my argument is only my opinion but I hope you see my rationale... you do not have to agree and thats fine!

You sure you're not related to Barker? More valuable than AO and Malkin b/c he might contend for the Norris? I'd still take Heatley or Kovalchuk over Bouwmeester.

Bryan McCabe has contended for the Norris, but I'd still rather have Sundin.

AO and Malkin are game breaking players, which is different than offensive talents.

Don't get me wrong, I like Barker and his talent, but I think you're overrating him a great deal. He MAY become a star D-man, but he's still got a long way to develop. Ask Chicago, if they have a chance to give Barker up for AO or Malkin, you know they'd do it.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
You sure you're not related to Barker? More valuable than AO and Malkin b/c he might contend for the Norris? I'd still take Heatley or Kovalchuk over Bouwmeester.

Bryan McCabe has contended for the Norris, but I'd still rather have Sundin.

AO and Malkin are game breaking players, which is different than offensive talents.

Don't get me wrong, I like Barker and his talent, but I think you're overrating him a great deal. He MAY become a star D-man, but he's still got a long way to develop. Ask Chicago, if they have a chance to give Barker up for AO or Malkin, you know they'd do it.

If i'm GM, in a second.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Too bad none of these players will ever be as good as Paul Martin... ;)

Just joking, but it's sad you never hear about Martin out there...

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
As someone who has followed Barker's play very closely since before Medicine Hat (no, not related), let me say that his offensive tools certainly are not overrated. I'll also say that people are rarely immediately stunned by his play as they are by many offensive defensemen, but when you watch him over the course of an entire game, series of games, or a season, his value and potential comes out. There is nothing about him on or off the ice that suggests that he won't reach his potential.

That said, I'd say that while it is entirely possible that he will prove in the long run to be more valuable than Malkin, and who knows maybe even Ovechkin, there is nothing to this point to base that upon. He was the third best prospect in that draft. He is a top NHL defensive prospect with the potential to be a number one d-man. He certainly belongs in the top four of this list, but anything beyond that is guessing.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
pavel datsyuk said:
Jack Johnson
Suter
Hamhuis
Phanuef
Babchuk
Coburn
Barker
Weber
funny guy, I'll do one better............

Babchuck
Hamhuis
Coburn
Phaneuf
Suter
Weber
Johnson
Barker

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
nomorekids said:
Because, afterall, anyone that doesn't put Phaneuf at the top of the list is clearly joking.
Is there any reason to pick someone other then Phaneuf at the time being other then being a homer or hating Phaneuf/Calgary.....I highly doubt it.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Jason MacIsaac said:
Is there any reason to pick someone other then Phaneuf at the time being other then being a homer or hating Phaneuf/Calgary.....I highly doubt it.

You'll notice that I picked Phaneuf at the top of the list. I do know people(non-Nashville, Canadian WHL fans, at that) that think Hamhuis will be better than anyone on this list. I just don't think someone NOT picking Phaneuf is grounds for giggling.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
nomorekids said:
You'll notice that I picked Phaneuf at the top of the list. I do know people(non-Nashville, Canadian WHL fans, at that) that think Hamhuis will be better than anyone on this list. I just don't think someone NOT picking Phaneuf is grounds for giggling.
Neither do I, it was more or less aimed at the poster who did it. Who I've had long threads about that topic. I was just waiting for him to post it, and was happy he did.

I am suprised Coburn is getting the shaft.. well, okay I'm not suprised. I think he still has the potential to be the best of that group. Although, yes, right now a Suter or Phaneuf look like sure bets.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
MrMastadonFarm said:
I am suprised Coburn is getting the shaft.. well, okay I'm not suprised. I think he still has the potential to be the best of that group. Although, yes, right now a Suter or Phaneuf look like sure bets.
Coburn isn't very popular because he isn't flashy. He doesn't do anything to wow anyone, and has to be seen a lot to be appreciated, so he doesn't get the widespread hype. He's still a top flight prospect who will almost certainly be a top 4 NHL defenseman, likely be a top 2, and has the potential to be a franchise defenseman. Coburn's apparent fall from grace on HF is quite off base imo.

FlyersFan10*

ktownhockey said:
8) Coburn - Not entirely sold on this kid... huge upside but I just dont know if he'll be able to meet this upside.. seems a little slow to react to situations and isnt the most outstanding hockey mind either... never the less he has amazing potential and plays very well in the AHL.. so maybe he just needed higher competition to get him going.. I could see him either as a third pair D or if he reaches his upside a numebr 1 dman... as the thrashers would hope!

I love the way people on here slag on Coburn. Because he doesn't play smash mouth hockey or anything like that, it means he's going to be a bust. You know what, most 6'5, 6'6 kids normally don't finish filling out and become more co-ordinated until they are 24-25. How long did it take for Chara to become the complete package?

I think Coburn is going to be dynamite and he's going to make a lot of people eat crow. I think he just doesn't need to be rushed along. Let him play a season or two in the AHL. He can finish filling out, become more comfortable with himself, and then come to the NHL and start dominating.

He'll never be a rah rah kind of guy. Just a guy who goes about and does his business with very little notice or fan fare. I'd take him on my team.

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
I find it weird that Hamhuis would make the list while none of Pitkanen or Bowmeester made it there and that Phaneuf can be at the top of the list without a single NHL game to prove this rigth. Don't get me wrong all these guys seems good but...

When I look at both top Dmen picks in 2002, and see what both have done at the NHL level I find it hard to believe they would not make the list... Pitkanen would be my top choice....ahead of phaneuf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad