Rank these young C

How would you rank the following players in 5 years?

• Total voters

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews
Point
Pettersson
Eichel
Hughes
Barzal
Aho

Edit: Swapped Barzal and Aho They're close when deciding who to go with moving forward.

you should swap them back. Aho doesnt need a superstar to help him get 85pts

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They can list him at center. If they want to do that, he's going to be way down a center list because he doesn't play the position well. He'll add more value as a winger.
In your opinion, you mean.

Nothing he has shown so far supports this, so stating it as a fact, rather than an opinion, is blatantly misleading.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
In your opinion, you mean.

Nothing he has shown so far supports this, so stating it as a fact, rather than an opinion, is blatantly misleading.

Shocking. Another intolerant Devils fan of a different opinion in regards to Hughes. It wasn't enough that your fan base complained to the moderators for months to get me banned from his prospect thread because I had a different opinion about Hughes.

No one is stating it as a fact. I never did. Why don't you Devils fans leave me alone in regards to this? I didn't seek out your comment to disagree with. I gave my opinion in my own reply to the thread. I have my opinion, which your fans are offended in regards to. I've seen Hughes play consistently for two years, and don't think he's a center. I said it before the draft and said it before the draft lottery. Your fan base seems to mostly have only started watching him play hockey in the last month, and thinks anyone who doesn't think Hughes is a center must have some bias against your team or Hughes.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
AM
EP
Eichel

Aho
Point
Hughes
Barzal

Honestly pretty tough list. Could easily switch a lot of these guys around from the different tiers.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I keep reading he's not a centre I could be wrong but generally young centre's are brought along on wing for a year or two anyway especially someone like Hughes whose quite small and not sure he will be able to do the defensive work of a centre just yet. However maybe I'm completely wrong :huh:?

People are just worried that the world might explode if the Devils actually get a high end center. Kind of like if the Canucks ever got a Norris quality defenseman

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My list could change easily. Honestly, all are really great centers who have the chance to be anywhere from first to last on the list depending on how they develop over the next few seasons.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Well I did say I could be wrong I'm not picking on him as I think he will be a great player. However the kid is very young and slender. Putting him on wing to start the year would not be the worst idea. Let him concentrate on offense and leave the defensive centre duties to someone else. Some great centres started on wing Kesler and Messier to name two I'm sure plenty more. Doesn't mean he won't be a centre down road. However if he's doing just fine at centre already then power to him. I wasn't trying to be funny as we all know he played centre in college. Good luck with him.
I hear ya dude, and u are right about him he's got the body of a 15 year old boy. but from what I saw of him in preseason. He looks ready. he is currently penciled in for 2nd line center. I think he will impress alot of people.
also no way he plays Wing. he is a center through and through. NJ wont wanna alter that. maybe after a couple season if he did very poorly. Zacha is still there. He may lose his center position with Hughes being there. since its Hischier - Hughes - Zajac.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Matthews

Eichel
Aho
Point
Petterson
Hughes
Barzal

All of them are really close (except for the guy that's light years ahead of the rest of the league in 5v5 goals the past 3 years)

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews

Eichel
Aho
Point
Petterson
Hughes
Barzal

All of them are really close (except for the guy that's light years ahead of the rest of the league in 5v5 goals the past 3 years)
When did 5vs5 goals become the new gold standard?
Someone should have sent a memo out to the rest of the goal scorers like Ovechkin that power play goals don’t count.
Should also replace the Rocket trophy with the Matthews. Most 5vs5 goals prorated based on games played.

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Shocking. Another intolerant Devils fan of a different opinion in regards to Hughes. It wasn't enough that your fan base complained to the moderators for months to get me banned from his prospect thread because I had a different opinion about Hughes.

No one is stating it as a fact. I never did. Why don't you Devils fans leave me alone in regards to this? I didn't seek out your comment to disagree with. I gave my opinion in my own reply to the thread. I have my opinion, which your fans are offended in regards to. I've seen Hughes play consistently for two years, and don't think he's a center. I said it before the draft and said it before the draft lottery. Your fan base seems to mostly have only started watching him play hockey in the last month, and thinks anyone who doesn't think Hughes is a center must have some bias against your team or Hughes.

i guess it's implied that it's your opinion but saying "he doesn't play that position well and he adds more value as a winger" seems like you're stating it as a fact :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hisch13r

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
People are just worried that the world might explode if the Devils actually get a high end center. Kind of like if the Canucks ever got a Norris quality defenseman

Let's hope the Hughes brothers can solve that for both franchises. Least you guys got Cups though !!

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
  1. Auston Matthews
  2. Brayden Point
  3. Jack Eichel
  4. Elias Petterson
  5. Matthew Barzal
  6. Sebastian Aho
Don't know enough about Hughes.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Yikes this post is really something. :laugh:

I am in no way intolerant of other opinions, but I'm absolutely intolerant of people making nonfactual statements and hiding behind "it's just my opinion" when they are called out on it. You said "Hughes isn’t a center" and "he doesn't play the position well. He'll add more value as a winger", both of which are a statement of fact by you which is demonstrably false because this is the only position he has played, and has continued that trend in development camp, the prospects tournament, training camp, and the preseason with the Devils and has looked good in all of them doing so. By excluding him from your list, you were stating as a fact that he isn't a centerman and shouldn't even be in the poll. There were multiple posts after yours which took what you said as a statement of fact, and responded in confusion because they thought he had been playing center with the Devils. If you had said "in my opinion I don't think he is going to work out as a centerman" or something similar, I wouldn't have even responded because that is making it clear that you have an opinion on his future, instead of making an inaccurate and misleading statement of fact. You don't get to frame your "opinions" like they are facts, than turn around and hide behind "it's just my opinion" when you are called out on it. This would be like me saying in a thread "Pavel Buchnevich isn't an NHL player", when that is demonstrably false.

For your supposed persecution narrative, I have no interest in even engaging in that discussion.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
When did 5vs5 goals become the new gold standard?
Someone should have sent a memo out to the rest of the goal scorers like Ovechkin that power play goals don’t count.
Should also replace the Rocket trophy with the Matthews. Most 5vs5 goals prorated based on games played.

Not the gold standard, but definitely a valuable metric; no reason to believe Matthews goal total shouldn't rise significantly if the team figures out its power play.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Eichel
Pettersson
Matthews
Barzal
Aho
Point

Hughes isn’t a center.

I tend to think that Hughes might be at some point shifted to wing but even saying that he is a center not sure he is going to be better than any of the guys listed.

I think the first 3 players might be somewhat interchangeable and the jury is still out but after that I have them

Point
Aho
Barzal

but it's really hard to predict all of these guys are great in their own way.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->