Luc Bourdon
Dion Phaneuf
Shea Weber
Ladislav Smid
Ryan Suter

IMO a very tough list ot make, since most of these guys are really young:

Defense:

1. Dion Phaneuf-Enough said.

2. Jack Johnson-Doesn't have the size but has everything else. Plays a very stifiling game, and is very well-positioned, though his lack of size may hurt him in the end. I would like to see him work become even more aggressive. Could rise on this list to match Phaneuf, but Phaneuf has proven his stuff in the NHL, something Johnson will have to do.

3A. Shea Weber-Tenacious, smart, and physically very gifted. While he isn't as smart or well-positioned as Johnson, his strength should take him far. Can absolutely crush forwards as the move around him; he is similar to Phaneuf in this regard. And he has no qualms about playing the body. Rarely is out of position on the play, and is very well-conditioned.

3B. Eric Johnson-Not as smart as JJ or Phaneuf but is over 6'3 and hits hard. A more flashy player, he needs to pick his spots better. E.Johnson is showing that "dominant" quality that Phaneuf showed; he just impresses you every single time he is out there, both offensively and defensively. Simply, he makes offensive forwards look foolish and makes tough plays look effortless at times.

4.Marc Staal-Very raw, but also very talented. Needs to get stronger, and could be the least polished player on the list. Possesses great reach and smarts. IMO very hard to project. Cleary has the size, the reach, and the other stuff, but lacks the dominant qualities of a Pronger or Stevens. Like many young defenseman, he needs to hit more wisely. More often he seems to withdraw rather than make the hit; he needs to stop that. Amazingly, his offensive talents are just coming into fruition, and could make him very dangerous.

5A. Ladislav Smid-A very smart player; not as big or as aggressive as other players, but still extremely smart. Shows a significant improvement in his physical game. Very steady and very smart defensively, he reads players very well. Nothing flashy, but but very steady. Gets the nod over Carle and Suter because of what he has proven.

5B. Luc Bourdon-Pretty stable back on the blueline. I haven't really observed him much, but from what I remember he rarely makes mistakes and has first-class endurance.

6A. Carle- Not very gifted physically, but right up there with Phaneuf and JJ when it comes to smarts. Needs more pro experience, and he also has a tendency to be too agressive in the offensive zone. Fifteen pounds of muscle would help his endurance a lot, and size would no longer be a problem. Reads players very well and is learning to use his positioning, reach, and stick to his advantage. Though he'll probably be better-than-average defensively, he isn't blessed with the physical gifts of guys like Erik Johnson and Dion Phaneuf. Will never be a big hitter, but has the potential to rise on this list.

6B. Suter-Wonderful anticipation in the defensive zone. A very physical player, he uses his superb skating very well. But he needs a lot more experience and confidence. For some reason I'm not comfortable putting him higher on this list...

7. Barker-Is very much an offense-first player. Has the deteriorated a bit since drafted. Has great size, sound anticipation, and good reach, but is a bit too agressive in the offensive zone which makes his defense bad. Has the tools though. Haven't gotten a good glimpse of him in the AHL though.

Offense:

1A.Matt Carle- Extremely gifted with the puck. Gifted skater, great shot, absolutely great vision, a superb first pass, and superb offensive instincts. Has a hard, accurate, low slapshot that often creates great rebounds, if it doesn't go right in. Jumps into the play very intelligently. Could seriously play at a point-per-game pace. Though a smart player, he pinches in a bit too much for my liking. It worked for him in Denver and so far in the NHL, but I don't think that trend will continue.

1B. Erik Johnson- Very talented offensively. Not as smart as Carle but has a much harder shot and pinches properly. Is a better stickhandler than Carle, but isn't as "fluid".

2A. Ladislav Smid- Very, very talented offensively. Doesn't have a hard shot (has the frame for an absolute boomer) but is very accurate. One of the best skaters; is very underrated in this regard. Not great at rushing up the ice, but has a good first-pass. Needs to get more experience in the offensive zone, but you're looking at a potential 60-point defenseman.

2B. Dion Phaneuf- I don't think he tops this list offensively, although he will put up 40-60 points in his prime. Is another player who is just more given to the defensive side of the game. Doesn't hesitate offensively, and has a great skillset, but still doesn't have the super offensive smarts of the Niedermayers or Lidstroms. I have a feeling that his potential is being hidden by the Calgary offense, which isn't nearly as good as Nashville's, San Jose's, etc.

3A. Marc Staal-I know this is probably a high position, but his play last year (including the last training camp) makes me believe he could be a special player. Has improved his speed tremendously and has above-average vision. Has the frame for an absolutely lethal shot from the point. Could be last on this list, but I hope he pans out. Needs more experience.

3B. Cam Barker-He was always a very polished defenseman in the offensive zone. I have a hunch he could find a career as a power-play quarterback if he doesn't pan out. Can rush the puck up the ice very well, and at times looked like the best offensive defenseman on this list. A very hard player to judge. I'll admit I am slightly biased against him. During the 2002-03 season, he had some absolutely horrible games for Medicine Hat that I left me with a very bad impression of him. He will have to improve significantly to overturn my predispositions with him.

4A. Ryan Suter-He looked really good about a few years ago. He showcased his offensive potential with the Baders but hasn't manifested it in the big leagues. Maybe I have high expectations since he has the name Suter. He could definitely bounce back, but so far, he doesn't deserve a higher position. Also a very difficult player to judge.

4B. Shea Weber- I think he is talented offensively, but is just more given to the defensive side of the game. Predators fans will agree that he doesn't know how good he is in the offensive zone, and IMO thats a hard mental block to overcome. Nashville has to hand him the reins offensively and let him get creative. Has a great skillset and decent hockey sense. Doesn't have the playmaking abilites or offensive apolomb of the others.

5. Jack Johnson- Is a pretty smart offensive player, but no grind. Has a low and accurate shot like Smid and Carle's, but isn't as good at moving the puck up and ice and in the offensive zone. Is an underrated stickhandler and IMO does a great job at creating large rebounds. Of course, I doubt that many of his tricks will work in the NHL level. Honestly, I feel he should be lower on the list, but a lot of people believe in this guy, so I'll boost him up a bit.

6. Luc Bourdon- I will get flamed for this, but I really don't think Bourdon is the great savior of the Canucks. He had a great training camp a year ago but never showed high-end offensive skills in the QMJHL. True, he has a superb first-pass and is a good playmaker, but he lacks the aplomb, the shot, the smart, the vision, and the smoothness of many others on the list. Bourdon's main mark is his consistency (despite what happened in the first few games of the season).

Overall:

It really depends on what qualities you favor over others. Clearly, guys like Jack Johnson and Dion Phaneuf are a step ahead of the others, but the rest is all a mish-mash.

ShootThePuckCoyotes

Jul 13, 2006
Phoenix
First of all this isn't even fair. I will not pretend to know much about these guys but I do know that Dion Phaneuf should no longer be considered a prospect.

He has already had a full season in the NHL. But he is a damn good sophmore.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Rank these Defensman in these three categories -

Defense
Offense
Overall

Jack Johnson
Eric Johnson
Cam Barker
Marc Staal
Matt Carle
Luc Bourdon
Dion Phaneuf
Shea Weber
Ladislav Smid
Ryan Suter

Defense:

1) Dion Phaneuf: Don't even know why he's on the list.

2) Erik Johnson: Just soooo steday in the back end. Never makes a mistake, plays physical.

3) Jack Johnson: Plays a bit risky, but is generally an extremely reliable defenseman.

4) Shea Weber: Big guy, plays an exceptional positional game. Sticks with his man, never lets him by, isn't afraid to play physical.

5) Ryan Suter: Like Weber, has flawless positional play and is as good at reading a play as most top defenseman in the league. Plays huge for his size, has huge potential.

6) Luc Bourdon: Has unbelievable strength, has the ability to cover anybody of any size, and is arguably the most physical defenseman on this list. He looked a bit shaky at the start of preseason, but near the end, and in his first game, he looked relaxed and made smart decisions. The overall decision-making has always been his biggest criticism.

7) Marc Staal: Has great fundamentals, never gets caught out of position, but is extremely vulnerable to physicality, especially from the guys over 200 pounds. He is going to need to beef up heavily before making the show in a prominant role.

8) Ladislav Smid: Just has a solid all-around game. Makes an occasional mistake, but mainly lacks physicality.

9) Matt Carle: Obviously known for his offensive prowess, Carle isn't as dominant in the defensive zone. Makes too many mistakes.

10) Cam Barker: doesn't play with enough determination in his own zone. Isn't physical enough, and is easy to keep the puck from him.

Offensively:

1) Matt Carle: Has premier offensive instincts for a defenseman. Anticipates the rush and powerplay to perfection. He will be something special.

2) Dion Phaneuf: We all saw him last year. The cannon from the point is unreal.

3) Erik Johnson: Plays a simple, but very effective offensive game. Jumps into the play with his superb skating, and creates opportunities.

4) Ladislav Smid: Excellent powerplay quarterback. His passing skills create chances, and he has great hockey sense.

5) Jack Johnson: His great skating skills and shot make him lethal on the rush, and on the powerplay. Very difficult for defenders to knock him off the puck.

6) Ryan Suter: his first pass and hockey sense make him very difficult to defend against. He always has in head up, looking for the breakaway or backdoor pass.

7) Luc Bourdon: has an absolute blast from the point, and sneaks into the rush effortlessly. A lot of potential.

8) Cam Barker: Very effective at getting the puck through traffic. He is very good at finding an open lane.

9) Shea Weber: Very simple offensively. Makes the easy pass and is reliable not to make any mistakes in the offensive zone.

10) Marc Staal: Very mediocre offensively. Won't make mistakes, but doesn't have much of a talent to create big offensive chances.

Overall:

1) Dion Phaneuf
2) Erik Johnson
3) Matt Carle
4) Jack Johnson
5) Ryan Suter
6) Luc Bourdon
7) Shea Weber
8) Marc Staal
9) Ladislav Smid
10) Cam Barker

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
First of all this isn't even fair. I will not pretend to know much about these guys but I do know that Dion Phaneuf should no longer be considered a prospect.

He has already had a full season in the NHL. But he is a damn good sophmore.

Word.

Dion gets #1 in all categories because he has performed well in all of those categories in the NHL.

However, if they had a guitar category, "Eric Johnson" would rule!

- R

Mobbex

Jul 29, 2006
Montreal
Word.

Dion gets #1 in all categories because he has performed well in all of those categories in the NHL.

However, if they had a guitar category, "Eric Johnson" would rule!

- R

Eric Johnson!:bow:

This guy sure is smooth and talented in his own right...

I like Vai better though.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Well I had free tickets to the Cancuks game last night and Bourdon looked terrible. After seeing him play for the first time in the NHL (don't know if he is always this bad or if it was just a bad game). I know he is younger then a lot of the other players on the list but it threw me off.

I would put him below everybody on that list except for maybe Barker.

This is hard to do but if I did an overall one it would look like

Dion Phaneuf
Erik Johnson
Jack Johnson
Ryan Suter
Ladislav Smid (very close between him and Weber, Smid's puck poise gave him the edge)
Shea Weber
Matt Carle
Marc Staal
Luc Bourdon
Cam Barker

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
1) Dion Phaneuf
2) Erik Johnson
3) Jack Johnson
4) Matt Carle