Rank these prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
How would you rate these prospects based on potential from best to worst. I know it's hard to pit differant positions against each other, but it's slightly part of the reason I picked the guy's I did here.

Boyes, Boychuk, Wellwood, Harding, Thelen, O'Sullivan, Burns

I look forward to hearing some thoughts and lists:)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
O'Sullivan (huge upside)
Burns
Thelen (him and Burns are interchangeable. I put Burns ahead because well he is playing in the AHL and showing some mad skills)
Boychuk
Harding
Boyes
Wellwood

leafaholix*

O'Sullivan
Harding
Wellwood
Burns
Boyes
Thelen
Boychuk

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
O'Sullivan
Thelen
Burns
Boyes
Boychuk
Harding
Wellwood

Out of these prospects I like Burns and Thelen the most. Both have solid upsides as defensemen and are very interesting prospects to take note of. They are underrated and could likely be a dominant NHL duo. If I'd have to fish for a comparison, they could probably Aucoin - Schneider pairing in te future for the Wilds.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Jamie said:
How would you rate these prospects based on potential from best to worst. I know it's hard to pit differant positions against each other, but it's slightly part of the reason I picked the guy's I did here.

Boyes, Boychuk, Wellwood, Harding, Thelen, O'Sullivan, Burns

I look forward to hearing some thoughts and lists:)

O'Sullivan
Thelen
Harding
Boychuk
Burns
Boyes
Wellwood

leafaholix*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
Wellwood over Burns, Boyes, Thelen, and Boychuk? Wow...
I could say the same about your "Patrick O'Sullivan has Franchise player potential"... and the fact that you have Wild players at 1, 2, 3, and 5.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Carl O'Steen said:
I could say the same about your "Patrick O'Sullivan has Franchise player potential"... and the fact that you have Wild players at 1, 2, 3, and 5.

Let's see: O'Sullivan is captain of his team in Mississuaga (we won't speak about his breaking curfew)...And his team has never been better. He was assistant captain at the World Junior Championship, so I'm guessing some of the coaching staff saw something in O'Sullivan that we probably don't know about because hey, we're just guys on a forum. He makes almost all the players around him better. His assists show that since he was supposedly a pure goal scorer and yet has some impressive numbers for assists. Hmm, let's see what else? Oh yeah the fact that he stuck with Mississuaga when guys like Spezza and Schremp (no offense to them but...) left for better teams.

Yeah, I'm guessing O'Sullivan won't make that much of an impact on a Wild team that isn't just looking for a goal scorer but also someone to make the team better.

I would also argue I guess that Burns, Thelen, and Boychuk all could be interchangeable and if Thelen continues on the pace he is going, I would put Boychuk over him. If I remember correctly Boychuk has a wicked slapshot, so, and has I believe seen some time in the NHL?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Carl O'Steen said:

So two homerisms make an objective statement? There's HF boards math for you...

leafaholix*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
Let's see: O'Sullivan is captain of his team in Mississuaga (we won't speak about his breaking curfew)...And his team has never been better. He was assistant captain at the World Junior Championship, so I'm guessing some of the coaching staff saw something in O'Sullivan that we probably don't know about because hey, we're just guys on a forum. He makes almost all the players around him better. His assists show that since he was supposedly a pure goal scorer and yet has some impressive numbers for assists. Hmm, let's see what else? Oh yeah the fact that he stuck with Mississuaga when guys like Spezza and Schremp (no offense to them but...) left for better teams.

Yeah, I'm guessing O'Sullivan won't make that much of an impact on a Wild team that isn't just looking for a goal scorer but also someone to make the team better.
Nice to see you can pull all of that out of thin air.

If I remember correctly Boychuk has a wicked slapshot, so, and has I believe seen some time in the NHL?
Boychuk has a great shot... so what?

And no, he hasn't seen any NHL time. He's a rookie in the AHL.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Whoops, that Babchuk...*sighs* Boychuk, Babchuk...Damn CHUKS!

What thin air?

Let's see...

O'Sullivan is currently the captain of the Mississauga IceDogs, correct? I believe so.

He was an assistant captain at the World Junior Championships right? I believe he was...

He has 19 goals, 38 assists is that correct? I believe so, and I believe you can read some articles just before the Juniors on him, where the scout praises Sully's passes...

Let's see...in 2000-2001 the IceDogs were 3 and 56...Following that they were 11and 47..in 02-03 they were 23 and 31...and last year they were 36 and 21...In his final year the Dogs are 23 and 15...Pretty damn good turnaround for a team that has some internal issues.

leafaholix*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
Whoops, that Babchuk...*sighs* Boychuk, Babchuk...Damn CHUKS!

What thin air?

Let's see...

O'Sullivan is currently the captain of the Mississauga IceDogs, correct? I believe so.

He was an assistant captain at the World Junior Championships right? I believe he was...

He has 19 goals, 38 assists is that correct? I believe so, and I believe you can read some articles just before the Juniors on him, where the scout praises Sully's passes...

Let's see...in 2000-2001 the IceDogs were 3 and 56...Following that they were 11and 47..in 02-03 they were 23 and 31...and last year they were 36 and 21...In his final year the Dogs are 23 and 15...Pretty damn good turnaround for a team that has some internal issues.
That may all be correct, but how is it relevant to my comments?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What did I pull out of the air?

He wanted potential...

O'Sullivan's potential is a franchise to star player...It depends on what your definition is on franchise but he has the tools and I think he's going to bring in the crowd to Minnesota. I mean come on...O'Sullivan to Gaborik is going to be really sweet.

Burns has the potential to be a very solid top 4 defenseman. The thing is he knows how to crash the net like a forward and his numbers are miss leading.

Thelen has had a rough year sure but the potential is still there.

Harding has less of a potential than Boychuk but is pretty solid IMO. I mean in 16 games he has a .929 SV%...his numbers would look better if Taffe didn't knock him out...

leafaholix*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
What did I pull out of the air?

He wanted potential...

O'Sullivan's potential is a franchise to star player...It depends on what your definition is on franchise but he has the tools and I think he's going to bring in the crowd to Minnesota. I mean come on...O'Sullivan to Gaborik is going to be really sweet.
Gaborik has Franchise player potential, at best O'Sullivan has the potential to be a star. Maybe your standards for the term "Franchise player" is much lower than most peoples.

Thelen has had a rough year sure but the potential is still there.
Potential doesn't win over production + potential.

Harding has less of a potential than Boychuk but is pretty solid IMO. I mean in 16 games he has a .929 SV%...his numbers would look better if Taffe didn't knock him out...
I'd take a goalie over a defenseman anyday. I like Harding, I think he can be a good #1, great #2 goalie one day.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Carl O'Steen said:

I have wild prospects at 1,2,3 and 5 as well. I guess i'm a huge Wild homer as well?

I agree that O'Sullivan doesn't have Franchise potential, though.

leafaholix*

Captain Conservative said:
I have wild prospects at 1,2,3 and 5 as well. I guess i'm a huge Wild homer as well?
Fact that you have Wellwood LAST clearly negates your list from the "logical" pile.

;)

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Carl O'Steen said:
Fact that you have Wellwood LAST clearly negates your list from the "logical" pile.

;)

:joker:

To each their own, my friend.

Of course you have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to lump myself in with someone whose idol is Todd Bertuzzi?"

Well, do ya, punk?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Carl O'Steen said:

;)

Seems that a lot of people have Wellwood last or next to last.

Ask yourself this: if Wellwood was a prospect for ANY other team, would you consider him a better prospect than the guys listed, or just another junior scorer with a remote shot at making the show?

leafaholix*

Epsilon said:
Seems that a lot of people have Wellwood last or next to last.

Ask yourself this: if Wellwood was a prospect for ANY other team, would you consider him a better prospect than the guys listed, or just another junior scorer with a remote shot at making the show?
Not sure, that's a hypothetical situation.

Until someone can prove that Kyle Wellwood isn't as good as atleast Brad Boyes, I see no reason why Wellwood's ranked behind Boyes.

Size...

Wellwood:
5'10, 190
Boyes: 6'1, 195

Junior career...

Wellwood:
344 points in 244 games, +85
Boyes: 309 points in 233 games, +58

AHL...

Wellwood:
108 points, 124 games, +1
Boyes: 183 points, 206 games, +9

NHL...

Wellwood:
1 game
Boyes: 1 game

Age...

Wellwood:
May of 1983
Boyes: April of 1982

- Neither are great skaters.
- Wellwood is a better offensive player.
- As of today, the better defensive player is a toss up.
- Boyes plays a more physical game.

It can be said that if Wellwood weren't a prospect of the Toronto Maple Leafs, he wouldn't be looked at under the same light as he is. The guy's one of the most skilled AHL prospects and seems to be looked at as a long shot...yet he's only 21 years old and the 7th leading scorer in the AHL. Of the top 50 point producers in the AHL, there are only 7 younger than him.

Spezza
Bergeron
Staal
Brown
Kesler
Stajan
Lupul

Yet, he's looked at as a long shot because of his lack of breakaway speed, size (which shouldn't be an issue), and style of play (finesse).

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
My term for franchise is this: Will the player in question bring fans to the game? If they do, then they are a franchise player. If you don't think O'Sullivan is going to bring people to the XCel Center...Well you aren't looking at the same prospect I am.

Vic Rattlehead*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
My term for franchise is this: Will the player in question bring fans to the game? If they do, then they are a franchise player. If you don't think O'Sullivan is going to bring people to the XCel Center...Well you aren't looking at the same prospect I am.

That would make Enforcers franchise players. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad