Rank these players in Defensive Ability

JurassicPuck

Aug 16, 2014
I Have a "All Time Teams" project I'm working on and was wondering how these Former Canucks defensive ability stacks up to each other:

Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Pavel Bure
Markus Naslund
Trevor Linden
Stan Smyl
Todd Bertuzzi
Ryan Kesler
Andre Boudrias
Thomas Gradin
Toni Tanti
Don Lever
Alex Burrows

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Kesler
Gradin
Boudrias
Lever
Linden
Smyl
Burrows

Hank
Naslund
Daniel

Bertuzzi
Tanti
Bure

My Best-Carey

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Best to worst out of guys I saw play

E-guys who were good on D
Linden
Gradin
Bure in early 90's
Smyl althrough he put in more effort then anyone else, limited physical abilties
E- guy(s) who was soso on D
Tanti
E- guys who sucked on D
Naslund
Bertuzzi
Bure after like 1995ish

No idea about the other ones. Seen lots of video of Kesler and the Sedins diving on youtube but never really watched them play

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
honestly, the worst and most nonchalant bure ever was still better than bertuzzi, and probably naslund too. just horrendous defensive players. i shudder to imagine what would have happened if they didn't have morrison.

i have burrows very close to kesler, and on some days even ahead of him (but those days are few and far between). both are miles ahead of linden, who was still very very good.

the sedins are significantly ahead of naslund and bertuzzi, but also well behind bure when bure was trying. hard to place them, though, because in their primes purely defensively they were about as neutral as you can get. won't hurt you, won't help you. but their puck possession made it so they could spend entire games without even having to play any defense. on the other hand, once they lost their legs they were completely useless without the puck; may as well have put two orange pylons out there.

i won't weigh in anyone earlier than 1989 because i can't competently assess them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad