Rank These Offensive (Minded) D Men....

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
These kids arent completely offensive minded, so dont get in a fit if a certain player isnt 100% offensive minded as some play a very balanced game, but all show traits of putting up very solid numbers as professional players....

Who do you guys think will be the best of the bunch OFFENSIVE wise, and who will be the better ALL AROUND defensemen....sorta a 2 part question I guess..

This is pretty much the cream of the crop for rookie dmen wise with Nick Leddy, Grant Clitsome, Michael Sauer, Yannick Weber, Steven Kampfer, Jeff Petry, all there as well....Just didnt want to list 20 players, figured I would cut it down a bit..

Jamie McBain - Carolina Hurricanes

Mark Fayne - New Jersey Devils

Travis Hamonic - New York Islanders

Kevin Shattenkirk - St Louis Blues

P.K Subban - Montreal Canadiens

Cam Fowler - Anaheim Ducks

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Phoenix Coyotes

Ryan McDonagh - New York Rangers

Adam McQuaid - Boston Bruins

Jonathon Blum - Nashville Predators

John Carlson - Washington Capitals

Who will be the best ALL AROUND dman, and who will be the best OFFENSIVE dman...thanks

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Is list just of rookies, if not im insulted Erik Karlsson isn't considered. If he was hes miles ahead of most of the players you mentioned except for PK who seems to be closing the gap.

DallasStarsfan06

Jul 16, 2010
Dallas, Texas
These kids arent completely offensive minded, so dont get in a fit if a certain player isnt 100% offensive minded as some play a very balanced game, but all show traits of putting up very solid numbers as professional players....

Who do you guys think will be the best of the bunch OFFENSIVE wise, and who will be the better ALL AROUND defensemen....sorta a 2 part question I guess..

This is pretty much the cream of the crop for rookie dmen wise with Nick Leddy, Grant Clitsome, Michael Sauer, Yannick Weber, Steven Kampfer, Jeff Petry, all there as well....Just didnt want to list 20 players, figured I would cut it down a bit..

Who will be the best ALL AROUND dman, and who will be the best OFFENSIVE dman...thanks

In order for the best chance to become a #1 defenseman or a very good number 2.
John Carlson
PK Subban
Oliver Ekman Larsson
Ryan McDonagh
Cam Fowler
Travis Hamonic
Jonathan Blum
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jamie Mcbain

I wish Dallas could get their hands on one of these defenders.

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
Travis Hamonic has not looked out of place as a 20yr old. I have not seen an Isles D-man play a good 2 way game like he does in a long while. And he has a cannon!

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
The poll asks for best offensive upside in which case you have Fowler and Shattenkirk to low, while McDonagh is to high

It asks for both ALL AROUND dman and Offensive Dman. The guy decided he wanted to make a list about the best all around dman with the chance to be a #1/#2 dman.
His list is accurate IMO.
You also don't give McDonagh enough credit there.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Best offensive upside: John Carlson

Best potential two-way: Travis Hamonic

My crystal ball is in the shop though, so take it with a grain of salt. Pretty much splitting hairs with the group of defensemen you listed. They're all fine young players.

If pressed a bit further, I'd say Shattenkirk is a close 2nd to Carlson for offensive upside, and OEL is a close 2nd to Hamonic for two-way play.

*shrugs*

Zeroknowledge*

PK Subban
John Carlson
Oliver Ekman Larsson
Travis Hamonic
Cam Fowler
Ryan McDonagh
Jamie Mcbain
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jonathan Blum

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Travis Hamonic has not looked out of place as a 20yr old. I have not seen an Isles D-man play a good 2 way game like he does in a long while. And he has a cannon!

This is getting so old. People need to understand their team isn't special because they have young guy come in on defense and looking "solid" and "like a 10 year veteran". EVERY team has one of these players nowadays.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Is list just of rookies, if not im insulted Erik Karlsson isn't considered. If he was hes miles ahead of most of the players you mentioned except for PK who seems to be closing the gap.

:facepalm:

He asked a question regarding those players yet you're mad he didn't include another player?

How do you know his basis for that list? Why do you think this is a merit-based list and in order to be on it you have to be good?

and OP said it was 2010-2011 rookies only.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is getting so old. People need to understand their team isn't special because they have young guy come in on defense and looking "solid" and "like a 10 year veteran". EVERY team has one of these players nowadays.

absolutely true, this group of freshman defensemen is pretty special to say the least. I posted 10-11 names to rank, but you can honestly argue for at least 3-4 guys that I didnt put on here to make the list as well...

but, there still has to be a way to rank some of these kids after a year of NHL service (or parts of a year depending on how many games were played).

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

While Pietrangelo technically isn't a rookie, I wonder how he would fit in on this list.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Karlsson is younger than most of the players on that list.

Who cares?

If he wanted to know how Karlsson ranked amongst the other defenseman on that list, then he would have included him.

Why do people take it as a slight against their teams' players because they aren't on a list of players someone wants to know about?

We get it, Karlsson is awesome. If you start a thread about how awesome Karlsson is, I'm sure you will find your share of posters who want to grovel over his abilities. But he's obviously not someone that the OP cares to compare to the other players listed. Get over it.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I am going to have to say that Jamie McBain is getting overlooked here a bit. He has 40 points in 90 NHL games thus far and should be good for 40+ points next year with growth and maturation. In addition to that, he played 19+ minutes per game last season and his defensive game is incredibly sound for a defender primarily known for his puck moving abilities.

With that said, it's nearly impossible to discern between this group with any degree of success. They're all going to be VERY good defenders for a long time.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

ALRIGHT THEN.

Let's steer this baby back on track.

There

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
And the cool thing for American hockey is how many of these players are actually going to be a part of the core group of the future of the blueline for Olympic and WC squads. For the first time in a long time, they're going to be players left home in the future that deserve to be there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
ALRIGHT THEN.

Let's steer this baby back on track.

There

I like the list, but is this for overall, or offense? I am just asking as Fowler and Shatty are kind of low, so I am assuming this is for overall and not offensive dmen?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
if anyone thinks any of the other young rookie dmen that I left out belong on this list, by all means let me know, I pretty much tried to quickly put it together and I know that leaving off Leddy, Sauer, Weber, Clitsome, Petry, etc was tough as some could possibly be swaped out for a player or two on my list....

but if they aren't a rookie, save the typing...and dont bother pimping your teams young stud non rookie dman...

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I wouldnt say Hamonic is "offensive minded" per say. Hes definitely a defense first dman.

But he does seem to be developing into a well rounded dman.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
John Carlson
P.K Subban
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Jamie McBain
Cam Fowler
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ryan McDonagh